Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAVING CERT Got Requirements for 5 schools 0 offer

• 19-08-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi, i was just wondering if any of you could answer my question .

I got minimum entry requirements in 5 different schools and courses and today i didint get any offer from CAO . I was wondering how is that ?

Do they go by grades and points ? if someone got 225 and me 220 will they automaticly pick him ?
    How that CAO system works ? how do they pick people randomly or from the best grades and points ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

Best points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Someone else will give you a better answer - or you could check the CAO how it works thread - but the whole method of CAO offers is 'supply and demand'. If 1000 people apply for a particular course, and there are 100 places, the CAO will choose the 100 people from the 1000 with the highest points. (there are some exceptions for different methods of entry, but no matter what, 'points' still come into it).

A course could be less...academic/challenging...shall we say than medicine...but if 5000 people apply for 50 places, and at least 50 of those get very high points, the 'points' for that course will then shoot up - the 'points' figure represents the points attained by the last person admitted/accepted for the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Also, even if you got the minimum points required for entry, there could be 10 people with the same points. So what happens there is they're each given a random number and the highest numbers fill the remaining places.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bartek664

Not good so . I only got 220 points so i gess i wont get to do what i am good at and what i was hoping to do ;(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Dont worry just yet, if someone else doesnt accept an offer it will move on to the other candidates.

• Advertisement

Haha yeah but still my confidence is so low now ;( had bad days for the last month , waiting for LC results and then for CAO and dissapointed ;( and i needed to know as soon as possible so i can try to get a loan and work up in Dublin if i was to move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I know some people who were in your situation a year or so ago, and they enrolled for a PLC/FETAC course in the area they were interested in, which they loved.

PLC/FETACS CAN be a stepping-stone to University (though in all honesty, unfortunately there are not enough places reserved for FETAC people etc to guarantee that people will definitely get into Uni), but even apart from that, to get an internationally-recognised qualification will always be useful.

It's understandable that people in your situation feel fed-up, the system does stink, to some extent, but please don't let this 'blip' get you too down-hearted.

Sometimes the people who get their first choices end up being quite miserable when they get to College.

You'd be surprised at how things can work out.

Yeah , i am waiting for a round 2 on CAO and if i still wont get the place i want i try to do a PLC Course up in Dublin but i am not sure if i will get the grants for doing PLC course and if i will get them for PLC will i get them again for College ?

And would any of you know a good place to do PLC course in Retail Managment with advertising or marketing ? or something in that area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

If you are unhappy with the course you have been offered or if you have not as yet received an offer why not look at the Available Place Courses.

Available/Vacant Places are declared on some courses after August 20th at 12:00 once ALL eligible applicants have been offered the course.

You can apply for such courses at that time.

Before applying for any Available/Vacant Place course, make sure that you are eligible for the course (that you have the number of passing subjects needed, the number of HC3 or better required, specific grades in specified subjects if required).

If you wish to keep some of your existing courses, they must be left in their original order and you place any Available /Vacant Place courses below these and above any offer received.

It is a new competition so previous published points for this course are not taken into account

Additional courses are added to the Available Place list on a daily basis.

Courses are also removed from the Available Place list after each Round of offers once they are filled.

Advertisement