Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for short term lease in Athlone

Options
  • 19-08-2013 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Sorry for posting here, but it's getting urgent at this stage. I am looking for a house or flat to rent in Athlone, for a short term, e.g. roughly 3 months.

I've tried daft and the usual websites but almost all require a 6 month lease. I even offered one place 20% extra per month if they would agree to a 3 month lease, but they said, they only accept 6 months and that was final. Their advice was to look in the classifieds in various local newspapers and try to contact landlords directly. Tbh I thought that was what daft was for.

Some background:

I started working for my current employer in January. The plan then had been to move to Galway over the summer. Unfortunately the place we are moving to has been slow and there currently is nowhere for us to move to. I was originally told we would be moving August at the latest, and I managed to get accommodation in a Student village as it was nearing the end of term and they had some vacant apartments, however they said I would have to be out by the end of august.

However it is now nearing the end of August, I still do not have a definite move date and I am finding it very difficult to find somewhere to move to.

To ad insult to injury my place of work is the IDA park next to AIT, and so I am competing with students(who know they will be around for the next 9+ months) for somewhere to live.

If anyone reading this has a property to let which is vacant and maybe is too nice to rent to students, and would be willing to agree to a 3 month lease, please get in touch. We'll accept house or flat, near AIT would be nice, but anywhere in Athlone will do.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

http://www.daft.ie/searchshortterm.daft?id=28872

I see a few signs around the willow area advertising rooms for rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ifeelill wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/searchshortterm.daft?id=28872

I see a few signs around the willow area advertising rooms for rent.

I emailed Daly apartments and got a three word response in caps.

SYKLOPS NO MICKY

Thanks, I think I have managed to find somewhere. It was touch and go there for a while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Only seeing this now. I do know of someone in Cypress Gardens who does short leases if you still need a place.

Only seeing this now. I do know of someone in Cypress Gardens who does short leases if you still need a place.

Where were you a week ago? :pac:

In the end I signed a one year lease and we will see what happens. If I have to break the lease I suppose I will lose the deposit but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thanks anyway.

Well if it's any consolation the house is a bit smelly with an avocado bathroom suite:-)

• Advertisement

Well if it's any consolation the house is a bit smelly with an avocado bathroom suite:-)

Er, no thanks.

Thanks anyway.

No wonder its a short term lease. A week ago, I was so desperate, I would have taken it :(

I know this is all no use for you now, but perhaps someone else might need the info in the future. I was thinking about it and surely the AIT SU would have a huge list of people who provide accommodation to students. Wounder if they could of helped you in this regard ?

They do have a list alright but not that many want short term renters. I found my place which I needed for 4 months last year through Daft and my landlord knew a few other places that would do short term leases, all these would involve living with your landlord in his house like I did so that wouldn't suit a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

syklops wrote: »
    In the end I signed a one year lease and we will see what happens. If I have to break the lease I suppose I will lose the deposit but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Don't think ya will lose the deposit. If ya give a months notice, they have to give it back as far as I know. Check out http://www.prtb.ie/ for the exact rules etc

The PRTB will just palm you off to Threshold. Threshold provide free legal advice to renters.

http://www.threshold.ie/

• Advertisement

Im hoping I give plenty of notice and things end amicably and I get my deposit back. I really dont want to go down the PRTB route.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I am hoping to do a short 6 month course at ait - would the students union be my best bet?

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    I am hoping to do a short 6 month course at ait - would the students union be my best bet?

If you ask them they should give you the accommodation list. They might also send an e-mail to the student body informing them that a student is looking for short term accommodation.

Advertisement