Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet

Options
  • 19-08-2013 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a vet in the Skerries/Balbriggan/Swords area who will put a dog town? My grandmother's springer is not too good and is in pain. Unfortunately every vet I have contacted so far has said that they will return the body to us. I need a place that will take the body as well as put the dog down. Horrible thread I know but it has to be done.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you talked to Lissenhall vets? As far as I know they offer a cremation service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Thanks I just contacted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

The vet on Dublin St in Balbriggan - can't remember the practice name. The guy there did it for us a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

that is strange - most vets that I am aware of will take the body for an additional fee.

At home the vet used to take the body and the deed used to cost 40euro. When I asked in a couple of places (which I won't name) I was quoted 100euro and told I had to remove the body myself.

• Advertisement

It's not cheap to have an animal PTS, and I think that is fair enough because you want to ensure that it is done properly with as little distress to the animal as possible. €70- 150 is the average price, depending on the vet you use. And taking the body is usually an additional cost, as the vet is not likely to carry the cost of having the body disposed of.

When my sister's dog was PTS it was €80 plus €30 for the cremation/disposal.

Can I ask also, it is on a vets recommendation that the dog be PTS, or just that you feel it is old and in pain? There are lots of medications that can be given which might improve the dogs situation. I wouldn't recommend having the animal PTS unless it is the last resort.

The dog is a springer aged 14. Back legs are stiff with arthritis and she has no kidney function at all. she can no linger get up a step and takes her a few minutes even to stand up. Totally deaf. Can deal with the majority of and don't mind cleaning up a mess after her but the fact that she can barely walk and is becoming immobile is of concern. She's not in pain yet and if she is that is the time we would have her PTS. Otherwise no one minds looking after her.
    Unfortunately there is no medication we can give her.
    It's on our own we would decide to have her put down. Have had dogs all our lives and it's not a decision take lightly. Don't mind paying the 110 as long as it is done relatively easy and with little discomfort. I wouldn't like to leave a dog in pain.

Poor doggy :(

that is how our dog ended up - the strength in his hind quarters gave out, and he became incontinent. It's a horrible decision to have to make, but I totally understand where you are coming from. It is quite distressing for the poor mutt to be unable to hear, walk and they generally get so disorientated and unhappy that it is not much of a life for them. Still a hard decision to make though.

The reason I asked is because I know of a vet in the area you mention who once a dog is over a certain age and getting a bit immobile or a bit of a handful to look after suggests PTS, which is not always the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I think I know that vet.told me our dog had heart failure and would need tablets for life which I could but from him on a monthly basis for. €€€€
    Other option was to have him out to sleep.
    We where told he had. 6 months to live that was two years ago. We decided to let nature takes at course as long as he wasnt in pain.
    Now he only gets short of beath from playing with the kids and long walks.
    The blue cross may be able to help out if its a financial concern.
    I wouldn't recommend the vet we used .
    He has € signs in his eyes when we came in.
    The vets in swords bear airside are supposed to be very good. .they looked after our dog once and lisdenhall in swords deffo take care of the dog fully as in , well
    Looking after the remains as my friends cat had an accident and they made sure he had a good rest.etc
    Heart goes out to you as its not easy.
    Hope your ok.take care xxx

cathy01 wrote: »

The vets in swords bear airside are supposed to be very good. .they looked after our dog once and lisdenhall in swords deffo take care of the dog fully as in , well
    Looking after the remains

Lissenhall and the vet in Balbriggan near the church are the same crowd. Only have had need to use the vet in Balbriggan that I mentioned but I wasn't very impressed. Others may find otherwise but I don't bring my pets there.

• Advertisement

cathy01 wrote: »

Looking after the remains

Lissenhall and the vet in Balbriggan near the church are the same crowd. Only have had need to use the vet in Balbriggan that I mentioned once but I wasn't very impressed. Others may find otherwise but I don't bring my pets there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We've used Conor Ó Scanaill in Swords for years. He's the best vet I've come across, very plain talking and compassionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

Also used O'Scannaill's vets when my border collie was PTS would recommend them highly, Conor looked after both our dogs from pups to one was PTS, the other is still going strong

Advertisement