Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Account from Student Account

Options
  • 19-08-2013 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I had a 3rd level Student Account for the 4 years of my undergraduate course. Without being asked, this was changed to a Graduate account at the end of the 4 years.
    However, I believe I'm still entitled to a Student account as I have started a 4-year PhD. Therefore, I am still a full-time student in 3rd level education.
    Am I right in this?
    Is there different fees and charges associated with the Graduate account?
    How can I inform my bank? I'd rather do so by email/phone as I am rarely near my branch on a weekday.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi denisem90,

Thanks for getting in touch.

When applying for a Student Account the branch would usually include a date that you are due to finish college.  If you have extended your studies and are in full-time education you should still be eligible for the Student Account however, this can be clarified with a Customer Advisor in your branch

The branch will need original documentation from you to show you are still attending full-time education. This can be handed in to any branch or posted to your own branch. 

You can find information on fees and charges for both account types on our Schedule of Fees and Charges brochure, which can be accessed here.

Thanks and best of luck with your studies.
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Hi I got a notification that my account is about to change to a graduate one as well. Is the eligibility for extension limited to courses in the State or can I extend it with an non-domestic proof?

Also, I'm out of State so can't provide the original documentation, for obvious reasons (kind of need my Student ID). Is there anything can be done about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi who is this,

A Customer Advisor in your account holding branch can check if your own specific course/college is eligible for the Student Account. We cannot accept a Student ID as proof of being a full-time student. A letter from your college stating how many hours you will be attending per week would be required. 

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AMST200

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. I received a letter informing me that my account would change to a graduate account in September so I went to my local branch to ask if I could maintain a student account during my postgranduate study. The woman I spoke to said they could put a note on my account that but she couldn't do anything until my account was changed to a graduate account.

Nothing was said about needing a letter or new paperwork, which I would have been happy to provide. Just wondering if the account has to switch over and then be switched back or if I was misinformed and should have been told to get a letter?

Many Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi AMST200.

Thanks for getting in touch.

An approval letter from the college would always be required when amending an account to a Student account. Apologies if you were not made aware of this.

Please call in to your branch with your approval letter or send it to them directly and a representative will be happy to arrange for the classification of the account to be amended for you.

When remaining in third level education, it is possible for your account to maintain its student status without having to switch to a graduate account, providing proof of acceptance from the college is available.

Please see here for addresses to all our bank branches.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.
    Laura

• Advertisement
Advertisement