Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV not switching on

• 19-08-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭

I have a cheap n' nasty TV for the kids room and it has one little habit I'd like to see if I can fix. It's out of warranty, so no chance of a return/replace.

The TV simply won't power on. The red light comes on the front, but it simply fails to switch on. It was out of action for about 6 months, as I gave it one last check over before disposing it started working again. Now after another 2 months, the issues has resurfaced.

It seems to be a common issue after searching online, but given the issue comes/goes I would hope that it is fixable. Would like to see if anyone can suggest a likely cause & fix, or a rough guess of cost to fix from a repair shop (if any exist any more)

The TV is this one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

How do you switch it on ? Remote control or a button on the TV itself ? Is either method more successful ?

Sounds like dried capacitors in the PSU or bad joints but it pays to ask questions :)

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

I finally got it going again today using the remote. I don't know if I did anything specific or it just kickstarted once again. I was pressing and holding the on button, but it was likely a coincidence.

There's no better success rate between remote and the button on the unit.

Are the dried capacitors or joints something that some DIY could fix? I'm happy enough tinkering inside a PC, so have some experience but not inside a TV before.

Advertisement