Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeasts to use will it make a difference ?

Options
  • 19-08-2013 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

hi all, im new to home brewing i have my first batch currently brewing away a batch of coopers IPA.

but what im wondering will using different yeasts vary the outcome of the beer, would it be worth while splitting a batch over 4 5Lt bottles with different yeasts or would this be a waste of time, is there any other ways to play around and make changes to the the out coming brew.

any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes, different yeasts give different results: the Belgian ale yeasts tend to add a fruitiness, weissbier yeast gives the clove and banana you get in weissbier, saison yeasts will tend to give a very dry finish. There's lots to play about with, but I'd recommend doing extract batches for experiments like this rather than using kits, to take more control over the recipe.

You can also dry hop, age on oak chips, or add ingredients like vanilla, coffee, cocoa, fruit etc. Search around for "kit hacking" and you'll get some ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

kit hacking, ill look into that thanks

i do plan on going onto extract brewing but i have only started last sat, and thought using a kit to start to get an idea of how to play might have been a better option, do i need much more equipment to do extract brewing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not really. A big stockpot to boil in and a demijohn to ferment in are all you need for small-batch extract brewing. There's a brief guide here.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Different yeast will have other effects on your beer as well, that can make fermentation easier or more practical. Some popular english ale yeasts like S-04 will create a compact sediment cake - your beer will clear out more.

Other yeasts can perform well at high temperatures - you still end up with a good beer at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

If you were considering extract I notice that HBC have an offer on a boiler/chiller combo.

• Advertisement

thanks i think if I'm going to try extract I'm thinking I'm going to try just the pot and ice water to see if i can do it right then look into getting proper equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Splitting the batch and doing side by side is a great way to compare.

yep that's what i was thinking i could play with the beer and see how it turns out

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SparkyCrk

Hi all,
    I am back making Blackberry wine this year after a long absence.
    I have half a small tub (60g) of Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compound, which has a best before date of 27/11/07. It looks and smells ok, is dry and is still granular.
    I also have a small tub of Yeast Nutreint, BBE 07/11/08
    My question is: will this yeast and nutrient still perform?
    2ndly, I have looked on line but cant seem to find a homebrew supplier within a 20 mile radius of Cork city, would any one know of same please
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Try it. Worst case is it won't work. I would be surprised if it didn't, but I would be surprised if it worked well.

No homebrew shops in Cork. Closest is homebrew.ie in Tipp somewhere, after that it's HomeBrewWest in Galway, or Homebrew Company in Mountmellick. NHC members get discounts from the latter two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Hi i mislaid the yeast pack that comes with coopers kits..i threw in a five gallon wine yeast sachet in its place..whats likely to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

SparkyCrk wrote: »
    I have looked on line but cant seem to find a homebrew supplier within a 20 mile radius of Cork city, would any one know of same please
    Many thanks

There's a health shop in Paul St. Shopping Centre, upstairs from Tesco. They have a small selection of homebrew stuff.

Hi Tube, thanks for the reply, re the yeast, Im thinking the same, it has two choices itll work or wont. If it doesnt then all the picking and mashing and steralising etc is for nothing. I am doing 5 gallons!
    Re the shops you mention, I filled out order forms on Homebrewwest and The Homebrew company web sites but I had questions to ask before finailising the Cart. I rang both all afternoon yesterday, despite their opening hours, no one from Homebrewwest answered the phone and the other was permanantly engaged!!!!!!

Hi 3dsteel, thanks for that, I'll look them up

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

SparkyCrk wrote: »
    Hi Tube, thanks for the reply, re the yeast, Im thinking the same, it has two choices itll work or wont. If it doesnt then all the picking and mashing and steralising etc is for nothing. I am doing 5 gallons!
    Re the shops you mention, I filled out order forms on Homebrewwest and The Homebrew company web sites but I had questions to ask before finailising the Cart. I rang both all afternoon yesterday, despite their opening hours, no one from Homebrewwest answered the phone and the other was permanantly engaged!!!!!!

I know HBW do ask that you e-mail them, as their preferred form of contact. I presume HBC would be the same. Home Brew shops are tricky places to make money, and that means they usually have their hands full, not much spare time to sit around waiting for the phone to ring.

Advertisement