Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjects for Repeating Leaving Cert

• 19-08-2013 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Repeating the leaving cert this year, I'm aiming for around 400+ points. The thing is I only have 4 subjects that I've done last year:
    •English (H)
    •Spanish (H)
    •Geography (H)
    •Maths (O)

So I'm looking to pick up 2/3 new subjects, I'm thinking ordinary Accountancy and higher Economics. Has anyone any advice on these subjects? I've heard Economics has a short-ish course but is it doable in a year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

Yes i got B2's very high sucess rate. for accounting just know past exam questions inside out you are sorted for Eco. you need a bit of interest though but nice subject.I got 445 this year. So it looks good for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TooMuchAtOnce

Didn't see the point in making a new thread so said I'd post here.. I need an A1 subject possibly an A2 at a push.. choosing between business and accounting? Already doing the usual one year subjects like ag science.

Which would ye recommend business or accounting? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Didn't see the point in making a new thread so said I'd post here.. I need an A1 subject possibly an A2 at a push.. choosing between business and accounting? Already doing the usual one year subjects like ag science.

Which would ye recommend business or accounting? Thanks.

I did accounting and you could probably do that in one year, buts it can be tricky to get the A1, i thought i had it and only got an A2 in the end. Apparently economics is a good subject to do in one year and do well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Ill jump on too as its same question! Repeat, looking for A1 in one year, is history doable?...

Already got Ag science and economics, I need another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Economics definitely doable in a year & accounting is too if you're prepared to take some risk (such as eliminating certain topics). However I'd be taking accounting over business any day. I teach all 3 and suggest economics accounting and then business in terms of choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 TooMuchAtOnce

Perfect I already do economics so will pick accounting.. Thanks for all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DMellor

Hey, Could I have a complete list of subjects that its possible to get A1s in one year?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shauna30895

Right, so higher Economics sounds good to do in a year? What about higher accounting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Ill jump on too as its same question! Repeat, looking for A1 in one year, is history doable?...

Already got Ag science and economics, I need another!

I wouldn't consider history doable at all. You wouldn't have enough time to get the course studied and essays prepared to a decent standard in time for the exams when you have the research study to do as well. It's a long course.

I did Accounting, Economics and History for Lc this year. Got B3 in acc, B2 in Eco and A2 in history. in all suprised at outcome of all three as I came out crying after each exam. there were tough this year. As for History i got Ds all year I was not A student in class at all.. but learnt my revise inside out and wrote out almost every essay in exam papers to acheive higher grades after mocks. i got used to the flow of writing. but it requires dedication n effort.It is doable but it will require more time than ECo n ACCounting,o yeah as well as research topic. I wud reccommend writing as much paragraphs in essays for high marks.

• Advertisement

olazbabes wrote: »
    I did Accounting, Economics and History for Lc this year. Got B3 in acc, B2 in Eco and A2 in history. in all suprised at outcome of all three as I came out crying after each exam. there were tough this year. As for History i got Ds all year I was not A student in class at all.. but learnt my revise inside out and wrote out almost every essay in exam papers to acheive higher grades after mocks. i got used to the flow of writing. but it requires dedication n effort.It is doable but it will require more time than ECo n ACCounting,o yeah as well as research topic. I wud reccommend writing as much paragraphs in essays for high marks.

Did you do higher Accountancy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jrmb

Have you passed Maths already? If so, you don't have to do it again unless you really want to. You might get more points by doing something else in its place.

jrmb wrote: »
    Have you passed Maths already? If so, you don't have to do it again unless you really want to. You might get more points by doing something else in its place.

Yeah I've passed Maths, but it's a subject I enjoy so I'm not going to drop it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Do people think geography would be doable in a year? Also would it be possible to move to honours Irish and get a B1 or higher. I did ordinary level last year and got a B2 without opening a book.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Geography is doable in a year.
    Also Home Economics and Ag Science are both very very doable in a year.
    I know of a number of students who have repeated and taken up HE & Ag Sc and got B1 & B2 respectively with a weekly grind in each.....but its down the the student to put in a big effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jrmb

A few separate guidance counsellors have told me that Geography would be one of the better subjects to take in one year. I wish I'd listened :P but hey, I got into college in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

I'm repeating and need to take up a subject, which looks like in might have to be Biology. What would people think about taking up Biology this year and getting a B in it?

I have never been very good at Sciences which should be taken into consideration but I am very motivated this year. Also that it would be one of two new subjects I would be taking up, so my plate will be fairly full though.

Did you do higher Accountancy?
    Yes i did Higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

olazbabes wrote: »
    Yes i did Higher

If you plan on doing higher accounting in one year, I would recommend NOT doing question 1. It takes up a massive chunk of the year teaching (and learning) wise. It does leave you with no choice for section A, but it is something I would recommend doing if you're doing the course in 1 year.

Advertisement