Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saskatchewan

Options
  • 19-08-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi. You might be able to help me. I'm arriving in Canada (Saskatchewan) this week, was wondering who would be the best bank to open an account with, I would like a bank that would give me a credit card so I can start to build up my credit history etc.
    Also, for mobile phone, who would be the best company to go with.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Scotiabank are probably the best they do a decent new comers package
    Where are you going to be living and working this will have a bearing on who to get your mobile with

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The SaintSinner

Scotiabank are probably the best they do a decent new comers package
    Where are you going to be living and working this will have a bearing on who to get your mobile with

Thanks for coming back to me. I will be office based with my job, im going to be based in Regina.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

I found CIBC pretty good, no commissions if you've over a grand in the current account, decent options for savings accounts and USD accounts. One thing that annoyed me was getting marketing phone calls, though you can ask them not to call again. Also their internet banking is pretty good but some things a little less developed than here, like wiring money internationally isn't as simple. Canadian banks have some weird transaction costs too, like 20$ to receive a transfer, unless you use Interac.

For mobiles, shop around, there are big differences in value. Chatr is pretty good value for unlimited local calls. It's owned by Rogers though, their sinister attempt to muscle out low-cost mobile services...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Sorry to hear that you will be in Regina. :) I live in Calgary and have a great plan with Koodoo. (Regina Pats play in a league with a great brand of hockey).

Advertisement