Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neither a lender or borrower be.

• 19-08-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

Famous words from Shakespere and now I know why.

My neighbour went away for a two week break and left me the keys of his house in case anything happened.
    He has a petrol strimmer in the garage which I borrowed to do a few bits.
    My other neighbour asked could he lend it off me and I gave it to him and when I got it back he said it didn't work.
    I noticed the petrol cap was missing and he said that's the way he got it.
    I left it back to the owner and explained that it doesn't work and the petrol cap is missing.
    He has just informed me now that the person fixing it reckons a good bit of water got in the tank.
    I am refusing to pay for it as is the other neighbours fault and now none of us are talking.
    You just cannot trust anyone nowadays.
    Have you any lending or borrowing experiences that have backfired.

Comments

why did you feel it was okay to lend something that didnt below to you? Did you discuss lending out the owners stuff before he gave you the keys??

Bit cheeky of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Why should your neighbour be out of pocket cos you saw fit to loan something that didn't belong to you.
    Suck it up sunshine and pay for the repairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

yea, we have two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

don't lend third parties things that are not yours. Of course your neighbour is p*ssed he asked you to mind his stuff and you lent it to someone who broke it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

That's why I try to be as much like an eccentric old cat lady as I can, no one wiil lend you anything or want to borrow anything from you then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The borrower seems to be doing fine here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

My neighbour went away for a two week break and left me the keys of his house in case anything happened.
    My other neighbour asked could he lend it off me and I gave it to him and when I got it back he said it didn't work.
    I left it back to the owner and explained that it doesn't work and the petrol cap is missing.
    He has just informed me now that the person fixing it reckons a good bit of water got in the tank.
    I am refusing to pay for it as is the other neighbours fault and now none of us are talking.

Never big amounts (don't have enough to do that)

Little amounts though i've given up trying to trace them. The best thing is my mates are the same. In the canteen at work for instance i realise i forgot my wallet. Mate pays for it and 20 mins later its forgotten about. 3 weeks later having a pint I buy him one or the other way round.

I'd say we rarely hit 15-20 quid owed between us swings and roundabouts it just goes that way.

And friends are worth wayyyy more than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Your fault, OP. Don't give people things that aren't yours to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

In fairness it was your responsibility to look after it so it should be up to you to sort out the repairs or replacment
    whether by paying for it yourself or having the other neighbour pay for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Why didn't you put the neighbour in his place?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85933476&postcount=1

See, you don't get off being rude to people for no reason. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

If I rent a building and then sub - let it to somebody else. Who do you think the landlord will be charging and engaging with in the event of damage?
    Sort out the owner, then the problem is between you and the person you lent it to. That would be the decent thing to do imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

You borrowed it, you loaned it to somebody else, you're responsible. If you want to chase up your other neighbour after you've paid for the repairs, fair enough, but you're the one who should be footing the bill to the person you borrowed it from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's the first neighbour's fault for giving you the keys.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If he asks about his lawnmower again, just fix him with a steely glare and reply "well, we have two of them".

That will put him in his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Ok, I think I will do the honorable thing and pay for it to be repaired, after all I will probably need it again.

I will think of some way of getting my money back from the other lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Shakespeare reckoned "neither a lender or borrower be?"

Pretty sure that pertains to lending stuff you own or borrowing things with permission.

I'll have to google any cool quotes he made about thieving your neighbours sh1t when they're on holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Ok, I think I will do the honorable thing and pay for it to be repaired, after all I will probably need it again.

You can forget about getting a lend of it again.Buy him a crate of beer by way of apology and hope he salutes you the next time he sees you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I have borrowed small amounts of money to people I know and have never seen them again. Best money I ever spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Jake1 wrote: »
    why did you feel it was okay to lend something that didnt below to you? Did you discuss lending out the owners stuff before he gave you the keys??

Bit cheeky of you.
    Probably didn't even discuss borrowing it in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

FFS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

You make the best threads on here :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Gee, fierce honorable of you to pay for it and get it repaired seeing as you will probably need it again someother time like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Buy your neighbour a new one (as good as, or better than the original) as a replacement, then take his old one and have it repaired for yourself if you're going to need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

kneemos wrote: »
    The borrower seems to be doing fine here though.

The borrower and the lender both seem to be doing fine. It's the poor owner who's getting screwed!
    Plus you just know, if he lent out his gardening tools he definitely rifled through the wifes knicker drawer, he's most likely wearing them right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did you use his wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You screwed up by loaning out things that didn't belong to you. Don't you dare shaft the owner of the strimmer; get the bloody thing fixed and apologise for taking liberties with someone else's belongings.

Advertisement