Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for my line to appear as inactive

Options
  • 19-08-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

So, after many years as an Eircom customer, I cancelled my phone and broadband by sending an email to phonecancellations@eircom.ie to give 1 months notice. The reasons for cancelling are numerous. Said email was sent on July the 15th. 

I assumed that I would then be able to sign up with an alternative provider and have little or no disruption in service. NOT SO!

Having called some alternative suppliers, I was advised that they could do nothing for me until the line became inactive. So the land line dies last Tuesday (13th), and the broadband died on Thursday (15th). Last Friday I called up an alternative supplier... again advised me that the line was not showing up on their "inactive line search", and that I could be waiting months for the line to show up as inactive.

So, my wife called 1901 on Saturday to find out what the story was. She was told by a very rude lady (who actually hung up on her), that she should call 017011. We called this number this morning, only to be told that we should call 1901. I was then told that the line is inactive and that I should be call Sky, Vodafone or whoever i want as an alternative supplier to get connected to them. 

I did... but the line is NOT coming up in their search. So, I am now without home phone or broadband.... and have to wait until Eircom decides to make the line available! When might this be? 

To say that I am disappointed is an understatement! 

Why is Eircom punishing me for cancelling my account???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

So, after many years as an Eircom customer, I cancelled my phone and broadband by sending an email to phonecancellations@eircom.ie to give 1 months notice. The reasons for cancelling are numerous. Said email was sent on July the 15th. 

I assumed that I would then be able to sign up with an alternative provider and have little or no disruption in service. NOT SO!

Having called some alternative suppliers, I was advised that they could do nothing for me until the line became inactive. So the land line dies last Tuesday (13th), and the broadband died on Thursday (15th). Last Friday I called up an alternative supplier... again advised me that the line was not showing up on their "inactive line search", and that I could be waiting months for the line to show up as inactive.

So, my wife called 1901 on Saturday to find out what the story was. She was told by a very rude lady (who actually hung up on her), that she should call 017011. We called this number this morning, only to be told that we should call 1901. I was then told that the line is inactive and that I should be call Sky, Vodafone or whoever i want as an alternative supplier to get connected to them. 

I did... but the line is NOT coming up in their search. So, I am now without home phone or broadband.... and have to wait until Eircom decides to make the line available! When might this be? 

Hi josey_whale

Sorry to hear about the experience you had with 1901.

Can you PM me with your tel no: or eircom account number so I can follow up with cancellations please.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Hi josey_whale

Can you PM me with your tel no: or eircom account number so I can follow up with cancellations please.

Thanks, Mark
    PM sent. Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi josey_whale

Thanks, Mark
    PM sent. Thank you

No problem, PM you back.

Mark

Hi josey_whale

Thanks, Mark
    PM sent. Thank you

No problem, PM you back.

Mark
    So, I am still without phone and broadband. Why? Because, Eircom has not released by address to their competitors. 
    Why is this happening???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

So, I am still without phone and broadband. Why? Because, Eircom has not released by address to their competitors. 

Because even after it goes inactive, it takes a while to update the database.

• Advertisement

Mr Simpson wrote: »

Thank you. Hopefully ComReg will be able to tell me how long a "while" is. 

In my experience, up to a month after the line fully ceases. Without giving out your address, is your address unique? ie 123 abc street, or is it townland, county, ireland?

In my experience, up to a month after the line fully ceases. Without giving out your address, is your address unique? ie 123 abc street, or is it townland, county, ireland?
    It is unique. It has been more than one month. 

It is unique. It has been more than one month. 

Just about. It also depends on how often the new provider updates their database. Not defending eircom btw, quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

WTF? Why is this not instantaneous? I'm pretty sure there is not a little cadre of people passing pieces of paper around with updates on them. If there is, IMO Eircom's shareholders need to get on the case because that's where their dividends are ending up. If there's not, why the delay? To inconvenience competitors?

• Advertisement

gerryk wrote: »

WTF? Why is this not instantaneous? I'm pretty sure there is not a little cadre of people passing pieces of paper around with updates on them. If there is, IMO Eircom's shareholders need to get on the case because that's where their dividends are ending up. If there's not, why the delay? To inconvenience competitors?
    I'd love to know too, all I know is it's not, and can take quite a while to appear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi josey_whale

Thanks, Mark
    PM sent. Thank you

No problem, PM you back.

Mark

Hi josey_whale

You had requested us to cancel your broadband and line which we have done.

You no longer have an active account which is why the service cannot be taken by another provider (because there is no active service to take).

If you had an active account then the service is easily taken by another provder. This should have been explained to you by the other provider.

Because of this the only way you can now have service with another provider is if you make them aware there is no active service for them to take and instruct them to provide you with a line reconnection and broadband by means of activation and not service transfere from eircom.

Some alternative line and broadband providers do not activate lines but most do.

Eircom cannot reactivate your service to arrange a move to another provider as a 12 month contract is applied to all line reactivations.

Thanks

Al

Hi josey_whale

Thanks, Mark
    PM sent. Thank you

No problem, PM you back.

Mark

Hi josey_whale

You no longer have an active account which is why the service cannot be taken by another provider (because there is no active service to take).

If you had an active account then the service is easily taken by another provder. This should have been explained to you by the other provider.

Because of this the only way you can now have service with another provider is if you make them aware there is no active service for them to take and instruct them to provide you with a line reconnection and broadband by means of activation and not service transfere from eircom.

Some alternative line and broadband providers do not activate lines but most do.

Eircom cannot reactivate your service to arrange a move to another provider as a 12 month contract is applied to all line reactivations.

Thanks

Al
    Thank you Al. 

The issue here is NOT whether I have active service or not. I understand very well that I do not have active service. I have not had broadband in my home since the 13th of August. I have not had phone service since the 15th of August. 

The issue is that none of the other service providers can find my address on their systems.  Can you please tell me why this might be?

The worst of this is that I have had to resort to a public forum to have someone listen.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi josey_whale

Thanks, Mark
    PM sent. Thank you

No problem, PM you back.

Mark

Hi josey_whale

Thanks

Al
    Thank you Al. 

The issue here is NOT whether I have active service or not. I understand very well that I do not have active service. I have not had broadband in my home since the 13th of August. I have not had phone service since the 15th of August. 

The issue is that none of the other service providers can find my address on their systems.  Can you please tell me why this might be?

The worst of this is that I have had to resort to a public forum to have someone listen.

Thanks again

Hi josey_whale

Your previous posts on this thread suggest that we have made it difficult for the other provider to give you service however it now seems the other provider cannot find your address on their system?

I'm unable to answer why another provider cannot find your address as I cant answer for the other provider.

Eircom have carried out everything you have requested and I can clearly see your line in inactive and I can find it very easily. I must make it clear that this is not the case as which you state eircom eircom has not released your address to their competitors.

The best advice I can give is to give them another call and tell them to search "C*****G N**, GALWAY" (I've included stars for privacy purposes) where they will see apartments 1-20 and then go to your apartment number.

Normally when other providers can't find an address they might require the "Sort Dial tone" number for the line. If upon speaking to them again they request this let me know and I'll look into this for you.

Should this information not help and you wish to bring this further I would recommend contacting Comreg.

Thanks

Al

Advertisement