Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement PS3 after YLOD

Options
  • 19-08-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what the best option is for replacing my recently deceased 40GB PS3, there are a few things I'm not sure about:

- Is the out of warranty replacement good value, would they give me a better model? I have a 500GB hard drive in there anyway so not really worried about space as I'll be putting this into the replacement

- Can you upgrade the hard drive easily in the all of the new slim models? (including the 12GB one)

- Any good deals around for just getting the PS3 without accessories?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I came on to post the same sort of thing - is it even worth getting a PS3 this close to the PS4 coming out (I have no intention of buying a PS4 at this point in time, but I suspect game support will dwindle quickly for the 3 once the 4 is out and being snapped up). I sorta want to play GTAV when it comes out, but there's nothing else on the horizon tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I have no intention of spending €400+ on a PS4 when there won't be any decent games out for at least a year and the price will inevitably drop.

Plus there are loads and loads of great games I've yet to play on PS3 which will only get cheaper. If the PS4 was backwards compatible with PS3 discs I'd probably hang on and get one alright.

Does anyone which is better when it comes to fat vs slim vs super slim and YLOD/solder issues? Particularly if any of the newer models are considered better or worse than the original slims for longevity?

Don't want to buy something that will stop working in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

rickyjb wrote: »
    Don't want to buy something that will stop working in a couple of years.

Keep the receipt and your covered for 5 years

cadete wrote: »
    Keep the receipt and your covered for 5 years

Are you serious, why 5 years? There's no way Xtravision will still be around in 5 years...

I got a 250GB in Xtravision Finglas for €150, pretty happy with that. Are the slim models as prone failure as the original models do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

No they have better solder or thermal paste as far as i know.

Got my PHAT fixed by Console Repairs as it is an original launch model.

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    No they have better solder or thermal paste as far as i know.

Got my PHAT fixed by Console Repairs as it is an original launch model.

How much did it cost you to get it fixed out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You can get a bran spankin new PS3 12GB for around 200 lids. Put your 500GB HDD in that and yer laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

rickyjb wrote: »
    How much did it cost you to get it fixed out of interest?

About €100 methinks

Advertisement