Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Sleeping since Quitting

Options
  • 19-08-2013 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Today is Day 6 since I gave up smoking. I decided to go Cold Turkey and I haven't had many cravings/side effects - except for the lack of sleep.

Every night since quitting, I have woken 4/5 times during the night. I have never had a problem sleeping before (I've been known to sleep through parties/movies/public transport/lights on/thunder etc).

When I wake it's not to pee or anything, I'm just awake. When I do get up, I'm fine scooting about the place (no cravings etc).

I've tried a hot shower & hot chocolate the last two nights to try get me to sleep (which isnt a problem) but I'm still up staring at the clock at 2am.

Did anyone else go through this? How long did it last? Any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This is a common occurrence. It will pass. There's no telling how long it will last but shouldn't last longer than a couple of weeks. Your body is going through a lot of changes right now - it needs some time to adjust.

Stick it through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You've a load of extra energy. Might take you a while to adjust, but you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Orion wrote: »
    This is a common occurrence. It will pass. There's no telling how long it will last but shouldn't last longer than a couple of weeks. Your body is going through a lot of changes right now - it needs some time to adjust.

Stick it through :)
    endacl wrote: »
    You've a load of extra energy. Might take you a while to adjust, but you will.

Thanks! I really hope it sorts itself out sooner rather than later but as I said, I would rather this at night than cravings during the day so I can't complain really

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Are you changing other habits as well? If you weren't an 'exerciser', the couch 2 5k app is a great nicotine replacement! Should help burn off that excess energy.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

endacl wrote: »
    Are you changing other habits as well? If you weren't an 'exerciser', the couch 2 5k app is a great nicotine replacement! Should help burn off that excess energy.

;)

I've upped my exercise. I'm tired , and falling asleep no problem. Its the constant waking up that's annoying me. Must have woken 5 times last night

• Advertisement
Advertisement