Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it easier to introduce a female cat rather than a male cat to existing cats?

• 19-08-2013 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

As it says in the title really. We've been feeding a little female cat for a few months now in a nearby apartment complex. She's had her tail amputated and hasn't any kittens so I'm guessing she's been snipped by whoever owned her. 95% of the time that I go to feed her, regardless of the time, she's there in the same area. Now, she's been hanging around a downstairs flat where 2 other cats live and I was hoping that she lived there or was being let in, but it doesn't seem so. Those cats are rarely out and she's rarely not around:(

Today she was being a little cuddle monster hopping up into my lap and purring away. I sat with her for about 20 minutes before I had to go to the shopping centre. I'm always on foot and today she decided she'd come with me. Only for a guy with a leaf blower she'd have followed me all the way. 1 of our own cats is on happy pills to get him to accept our latest cat, all 3 of ours are largish males. I can't take her at the minute as things are tense enough at the moment and Mr P is on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

A couple of weeks ago he said no more cats. As it stands if nobody in the complex takes her in before winter I'll have to bring her to live with us as she's very petite and delicate and I can't bear to think of her living rough in the winter. I'm just wondering what the general consensus is as to whether or not it would be any easier bringing in a female, snipped cat than it has been introducing an adult male. I'm really worried about stressing our eldest and very jealous male out any more than he already is.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I've gone through 7 female and 2 male introductions (and another 2 males that never met the cat but were in a seperate room the whole time) and it's all down to the new cat's attitude as far as I've seen it. Some of them we had running together in 1 day (with some hissing / pawing to set them in place); others we're still struggling with 6 months on (it's a bit of special case due to her having growth in her bone giving her pain though so she's erratic in her behaviour making the other cats wary of her)!

You said she's petite and I think that may work in your favour; smaller cats will be seen less as a threat and as a kitten over an adult 6kg female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

She seems so little to me, maybe it's because I'm so used to large male cats

Dt1xqngl.jpg

Sy8mmOWl.jpg

Advertisement