Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letters from debt collection agency for money we don't owe - complaints department ig

Options
  • 19-08-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

We changed over to Eircom over a year ago, and had problems getting them to set up our broadband - there was a delay of a couple of weeks. Just over a year after our phone contract started, we changed over to Sky. 

Eircom are claiming that we were still in contract and are charging us a cancellation fee of €57, because they claim that our contract started when our broadband was activated, not when our phone changed. As far as we're concerned, our contract began when we started using Eircom's services!

We have contacted customer services 5 times and have been told that the problem has been logged by the complaints department. Each time we're assured that it will be resolved and someone will be in touch with us in 10 days. No-one has ever rung back.

We have now received two letters from a debt collection agency about this amount, despite assurances from the complaints department that the matter would not be taken further.

I am beyond furious at the way we have been treated, and want this matter resolved as soon as possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

TwoCats wrote: »
    We changed over to Eircom over a year ago, and had problems getting them to set up our broadband - there was a delay of a couple of weeks. Just over a year after our phone contract started, we changed over to Sky. 

Eircom are claiming that we were still in contract and are charging us a cancellation fee of €57, because they claim that our contract started when our broadband was activated, not when our phone changed. As far as we're concerned, our contract began when we started using Eircom's services!

We have contacted customer services 5 times and have been told that the problem has been logged by the complaints department. Each time we're assured that it will be resolved and someone will be in touch with us in 10 days. No-one has ever rung back.

We have now received two letters from a debt collection agency about this amount, despite assurances from the complaints department that the matter would not be taken further.

I am beyond furious at the way we have been treated, and want this matter resolved as soon as possible.

Hi TwoCats

Can you send me a private message with your eircom account number and the name on the account and I will look into that for you.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

Hi two cats, we have just moved to sky cancelled our ercom package and paid our FINAL bill (that's what it was labeled as) in full  we have noww received our CLOSING bill for#51.18 , for not giving them enough notice, they will try anything! We had one package for broadband and calls but two cancellation fees. Would love to know how you get on with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TwoCats

dm1979 wrote: »
    Hi two cats, we have just moved to sky cancelled our ercom package and paid our FINAL bill (that's what it was labeled as) in full  we have noww received our CLOSING bill for#51.18 , for not giving them enough notice, they will try anything! We had one package for broadband and calls but two cancellation fees. Would love to know how you get on with them?
    dm, this was part of our final bill - we were expressly told by customer services that it was because they used the broadband start date instead of the phone start date to calculate the end of the contract. They'd better not pull anything else after this!

I'll keep you posted. I can't believe they get away with this rubbish.

Many thanks two cats, and best of luck. Has any one else out there gotton a FINAL bill followed by a CLOSING bill, I mean what's next a sorry you left us bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Many thanks two cats, and best of luck. Has any one else out there gotton a FINAL bill followed by a CLOSING bill, I mean what's next a sorry you left us bill?
    And it's still a bit early to use those 'bills'
    to light the fire. And they're a bit rough to use as toilet paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

I have the same problem! Customer complaints assured me several times  my issue was sorted but today I received a 7 day notice solicitors letter. Very upset & angry.

dm, this was part of our final bill - we were expressly told by customer services that it was because they used the broadband start date instead of the phone start date to calculate the end of the contract. They'd better not pull anything else after this!

I'll keep you posted. I can't believe they get away with this rubbish.
    Hi TwoCats

I am following up with the complaints department regarding your case. It may be a few days before I get an update.

Mark

Hi dm1979

I appreciate the final bill process can be a little confusing.

The 30 day notification / cancellation process has been in place since 2011.

Below is the official statement issued at the time.

30 Day PSTN written notice

What is happening?

When we introduced 30 days written notice for PSTN customers on March 11th 2011, Where customer wishing to cease could do so without giving us 30 days written notice. We now wish to extend 30 days written notice to Riposte 4 customers. Once a customer has been notified, they have one month in which to cease without penalty, after which 30 days written notice will apply to those customers.

The 30 day written notification is a common practice with a number of telecom / utility companies. I appreciate you were no longer under contract but if you gave eircom a call or checked online with us before moving the 30 written notification charge would have been advised (which would only take five minutes)

Mark

I understand that mark,  a cancellation fee is normal practice but to label a bill as final implies it is the last one you will receive, and we had one package yet two cancellation fees, our phone and broadband was charged as one package but when we said goodbye they became separate for the sake of charging us more! Do eircom make it up as they go along?

I understand that mark,  a cancellation fee is normal practice but to label a bill as final implies it is the last one you will receive, and we had one package yet two cancellation fees, our phone and broadband was charged as one package but when we said goodbye they became separate for the sake of charging us more! Do eircom make it up as they go along?

Hi dm1979

I appreciate the wording can be confusing there is a subsequent closing bill sent out to customers. In case there are any amendments that need to be made. I appreciate in your case the notification charges were applied, however the process is in also in place where it gives eircom a chance to issue any credits that may be warranted before the closing bill is issued.

I know it is hard not to take personally when additional charge is applied.

Thanks, Mark   

• Advertisement

Its not really confusing mark, we had one contract for our package yet two cancellation fees, I don't take it personally 
    Mark after all I left them it just wasn't working out between us, they begged me to stay, offered me extra discounts and impossible to achieve broadband speeds maybe a little extra charging is their way of dealing with a bad breakup

Its not really confusing mark, we had one contract for our package yet two cancellation fees, I don't take it personally 
    Mark after all I left them it just wasn't working out between us, they begged me to stay, offered me extra discounts and impossible to achieve broadband speeds maybe a little extra charging is their way of dealing with a bad breakup
    Hi dm1979

If you want to PM your account number so I can look into the charges directly and I will get back to you tomorrow.

Mark

Mark, if I don't hear from you by close of business today I'm going to have to take this to ComReg.

Mark, if I don't hear from you by close of business today I'm going to have to take this to ComReg.

Hi TwoCats

I updated the complaint with customer care on the 20th and sent on a mail to the debt recovery section. As we can not action any charges when it is sent onto them. I am still waiting on an update.

Mark

Mark, am I to assume that you haven't heard back from the complaints department yet?

Mark, can I expect any help from you with this at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Shocking lack of response.

Hi TwoCats

I have sent countless follow up to complaints and the debt recovery department (which I have now done again)

Apologies they advised they would arrange a call back and I thought that had been done.

Mark

Hi TwoCats

I have sent countless follow up to complaints and the debt recovery department (which I have now done again)

Apologies they advised they would arrange a call back and I thought that had been done.

Mark
    Now you know how we feel : ) They're really not interested.

Hi TwoCats

Mark
    Sent on another request today.

Mark

• Advertisement

Hi TwoCats

Mark
    Sent on another request today.

Mark
    I'm afraid that won't be good enough at this stage. We received a solicitor's letter about this matter today. I'll be contacting ComReg to sort this out.

Advertisement