Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what now?

Options
  • 19-08-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Just finished my first ever sprint tri and only one this year and want to know what to do from here. My ambition is to do an oly but should I do a season of sprints first. Ive waited 40 years so another year wont matter. I have ordered joe friels book on heart rate training as I was informed this was the way to go. All advice and opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I did an Oly as my first ever Tri. As long as you put in the training there's no reason not to go for it. Plenty of time between now and the start of next season to build up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Just finished my first ever sprint tri and only one this year and want to know what to do from here. My ambition is to do an oly but should I do a season of sprints first. Ive waited 40 years so another year wont matter. I have ordered joe friels book on heart rate training as I was informed this was the way to go. All advice and opinions welcome.

If you have weight to lose HR training does help. Honestly if you're comfortable in the swim the oly isn't that big of a step up !

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Starting out, a lot of people are limited by the swim. If you are confident with doing 1500m open water, then there's no reason why you can't do an oly. You'll get around the other two. After that its all about improving your times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Thanka for replies
    The swim will be no problem.came top 20 in swim with very little training but was wayyyyy down the field in both bike and run. I suppose alot of my training was aimless . I seemed to do all my bikes and runs in around the same time and prob didnt go long enough either
    Thats why I ordered friels bible and heart rate book. Hoping it will give me an idea on what to do over the winter.i just seemed to plateau at a certain speed
    Once again thanks for replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You should have a look for a turbo trainer, its a great way of getting decent bike work done during the dark cold winter months.

• Advertisement

Thats on the shopping list. I was looking at a cycleops magna trainer on wiggle for around 140 stg. Would this be ok. Should I buy a training tyre as well. Im not too worried about having to change it when Igo out on the road as it is good practice for puncture repair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Thats on the shopping list. I was looking at a cycleops magna trainer on wiggle for around 140 stg. Would this be ok. Should I buy a training tyre as well. Im not too worried about having to change it when Igo out on the road as it is good practice for puncture repair

Not a good plan, they also lose their grip, which you could find out on a steep descent or fast corner. You'll get plenty of practice changing tyres especially when you need it least ie pissing rain or running late.

Sorry I meant I have no prob putting on my road tyre for outside rides and changing back to turbo tyre for those sessions. Is that enough to spend on a turbo trainer or should I have a bigger budget
    Are rollers an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

That would be far more sensible :-)

I'd say it would be fine to get you started. If funds allowed a second back wheel setup with a turbo tyre or an old road tyre would be your best option. It takes 30 seconds to change a back wheel but probably 10 minutes and copious swearing to change a tyre.

OR

Buy fancy new wheels for the bike and use the old ones for the turbo.

Would u pick up a second wheel and cassette handy enough as this is prob the way to go

• Advertisement
Advertisement