Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit query - urgent!

Options
  • 19-08-2013 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

So, I paid a deposit for a house in Dublin for the coming academic year, but I paid it to one of the tenants and I didn't sign a contract and haven't paid any rent yet. Now i have been offered a place on campus which is obviously much handier and more secure, and really want to accept it! Can I get my deposit back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Legally I think yes but good luck getting it out of him/her.

*I am in no way a solicitor/legal professional so please do not go 100% on my advice. I've done my share of renting/house hunting so I'm experienced enough but do not go on what I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

OP your problem here is if the tenant refuses to return it to you your screwed. You cant take a PRTB case against the tenant so you have nowhere to go to dispute the terms agreed when you handed over the deposit.

From a personal point of view anyway I think its a bit rich handing over a deposit and potentially preventing them finding somebody else and then expecting your full deposit back although that's just opinion and not based on tenancy law.

Advertisement