Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laurel Hedge

• 19-08-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi All,

Is now a good time to plant a laurel hedge. The laurel is approx. 1 - 2 foot high and is in individual pots with soil. (not bare root)

I haven't purchased these yet but don't want to get until I know I'm not wasting money. I'm going to need 200 individual plants to cover my garden boundary.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭The Gardener

My advice would be to wait until October to plant. While we are told we can plant containerised plants at any time, experience has taught me that planting during the dormant season (Autumn/Winter) is more successful. If you plant now you'll have to keep the plants well watered as they will still be growing and will need more moisture than our average August/September weather will provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

roxybing wrote: »
    Hi All,

Is now a good time to plant a laurel hedge. The laurel is approx. 1 - 2 foot high and is in individual pots with soil. (not bare root)

I haven't purchased these yet but don't want to get until I know I'm not wasting money. I'm going to need 200 individual plants to cover my garden boundary.

Thanks
    It will be A LOT cheaper to wait 2 months or so and get bare root

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭roxybing

km79 wrote: »
    It will be A LOT cheaper to wait 2 months or so and get bare root

This is why i'm looking into it now there is closing sale on my local centre and I can get the trees for €1.50 each. big difference than if wait and get bare root the may not take.

Don't know what to do. Hard to pass up when I need to cover 300 foot

thanks for your reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

roxybing wrote: »
    This is why i'm looking into it now there is closing sale on my local centre and I can get the trees for €1.50 each. big difference than if wait and get bare root the may not take.

Don't know what to do. Hard to pass up when I need to cover 300 foot

thanks for your reply

For that money, I would buy them and put them in. Water them well for the few weeks and they should be fine. it may be an idea to get some of those chicken pellets as well to feed them. I got Portuguese laurel from pots. I put them in around April and I didn't lose one. That was over a year ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You could consider buying them now and reduce the watering chore by installing a dripline (relatively inexpensive) and this will vastly improve the quick establishment of the new hedge.

Bare roots are cheaper but weather conditions are more likely to make ground conditions more challenging too.

@ € 1.50 each, you could afford a few casualties and go now and benefit from some potential good growth over the next 8-10 weeks. Prepare the ground well (I'd trench it and mix in plenty of well rotted manure with backfilling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Considering doing the very same today only the garden centre isn't closing just doing bare root at €1.60 a plant or €150 for 100. They are not what I would call bare root either, quite leafy in fact. Asked would he do something for 200 plants he replied he couldn't as these are "wholesale" prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Considering doing the very same today only the garden centre isn't closing just doing bare root at €1.60 a plant or €150 for 100. They are not what I would call bare root either, quite leafy in fact. Asked would he do something for 200 plants he replied he couldn't as these are "wholesale" prices

If I got this right they sell laurel 1-2 ft. for 1.50? That is wholesale in fact! Run a nursery in Germany myself and just checked our purchase prices. A reasonable price in retail should be EUR 3.50 +/-. So whoever is offering this price sells crap or needs the cash ;) Have you seen the actual plants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Purchased 50 @ 2.75 in pots local rural nursery couple weeks ago. Planted and watered every day since doing so, no issues so far - would have welcomed some rain in fact, but it has been largely dry. The advise I was given if planting now, as stated above, is water, water, water.

Niall_daaS wrote: »
    If I got this right they sell laurel 1-2 ft. for 1.50? That is wholesale in fact! Run a nursery in Germany myself and just checked our purchase prices. A reasonable price in retail should be EUR 3.50 +/-. So whoever is offering this price sells crap or needs the cash ;) Have you seen the actual plants?

Not alone have I seen them but I'm bought 150 of them yesterday, give me awhile and I'll get you a picture of them.

I'll get you a picture of them.

Thats grand!

• Advertisement

Here they are:

20130902_133642.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Here they are:

20130902_133642.jpg

They're not bare rooted, they are excellent specimens though and great value.

david-k wrote: »
    They're not bare rooted, they are excellent specimens though and great value.

Yep, as I say in my first post on this thread:
    They are not what I would call bare root either

Couldn't leave them behind at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Yep, as I say in my first post on this thread:

Couldn't leave them behind at that price.
    Oh right I misread that, me bad? NVM.

Here they are:

20130902_133642.jpg

The plants look absolutly ok! Price is way too low but that isnt your problem ;) Who knows why they sell them that cheap...

Advertisement