Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog breeders in Cork?

• 19-08-2013 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone know any reputable dog breeders in Cork city?
    Looking for small breeds such as bichon frise, papillon, maltese, poms etc.

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone know any reputable dog breeders in Cork city?
    Looking for small breeds such as bichon frise, papillon, maltese, poms etc.

Thank you! :)

Why are you looking for all different breeds??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

I'm not looking for all of them to have! I'm looking for a breeder that may have these types of dogs. My partner and I are looking into getting a puppy next year and would ideally like one that is small in size. We want to make a well informed choice and get one with good breeding.

I'm not looking for all of them to have! I'm looking for a breeder that may have these types of dogs. My partner and I are looking into getting a puppy next year and would ideally like one that is small in size. We want to make a well informed choice and get one with good breeding.

Well then id decide on one breed and go from there. Failing that contact the breed clubs with the ikc that you are interested in and see can they recommend breeders for you.
    We can't list a whole loads of breeders for you unless you tell us which breed exactly. Your query is very vague.

It's vague because we're not sure what breed type would be right for us as of yet.

That coupled with the fact that Googling "dog breeders Cork" doesn't yield much, so I want to find how many dog breeders there actually are here.

You can't just google dog breeders and hope for the best. You need to decide on the breed you want and go from there. Breeders will usually only have one breed of dog maybe 2. Anyone that has several breeds of dogs are probably puppy farmers.
    I'd do more research into the breed you like and then look for a breeder.
    Also, you might have to travel further than cork for the right breeder so don't be limiting yourself to just one area.

• Advertisement

I think you misunderstood.

We're not in any way looking for a breeder of several different breeds of dogs. I'm looking for different types of breeders.

We've been doing research into different breeds but would like the opportunity to meet breeders (and the dogs obviously) to ask questions with someone who has extensive experience with a particular breed.

We don't own a car so travelling outside Cork for this type of thing would not be ideal for us.

I suggest then you contact the breed club secretaries then of the breeds you are enquiring about through the ikc. They can put you on contact with breeders or you can talk to them about your chosen breed.
    Club secretaries info can be found on the ikc website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP,

Have you considered going to an IKC show. That way you can see many different breeds in the flesh, you could approach the owners and ask questions, most 'dog people' would only be delighted to talk about their dogs. This might help you decide on a breed, then you can take it from there.

Thanks for that! Will look it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Thanks for that! Will look it up.

The IKC circuit is in Killarney in the morning, Limerick on Thursday and Tralee on Saturday FYI.

All shows listed on www.ikc.ie

Happy hunting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭owla

<snip>

I've snipped your post, I'm inclined to think you should do the same for your dog! Looking for breeding stock is not allowed here.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I recommend that you go to a local shelter. They will match you with a small dog that will suit your situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

They have specifically requested a breeder not a rescue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

As this thread is a bit old, I'll close it now. If the OP would like me to reopen it, pop me a PM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement