Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating Fox

• 19-08-2013 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone here knows if it would be okay to relocate a fox. It seems one has taken up residence at the bottom of our garden or close by and is attacking our chickens. At night, they are locked up but during the day, they're free range so have free run of the place. 3 had gone missing and earlier today, we spotted the fox sitting outside the kitchen window. We chased it off but I doubt it'll work for long. We have a dog but it's terrified of the chickens, never mind the fox :rolleyes: So the fox obviously isn't paying much heed to the dog's territory marks.
    We had a friend of the family offer to humanely trap the fox and relocate it to a forest beside their house (about 4 miles away). Would this be okay for the fox? We don't want to hurt it but at the same time, we'd prefer to keep the chickens free range, as they were battery hens.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

If you relocate a fox, you're only going to put it into another foxes territory and they will chase it away or fight, but chances are it will die, from fighting or starvation if it can't get food (as it has no territory). This also leaves your garden open for another fox to stake his claim to a territory.

Maybe contact http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/fox.html and see can they be of any assistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If you relocate a fox, you're only going to put it into another foxes territory and they will chase it away or fight, but chances are it will die, from fighting or starvation if it can't get food (as it has no territory). This also leaves your garden open for another fox to stake his claim to a territory.

Maybe contact http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/fox.html and see can they be of any assistance.

on the other hand, from the hens point of view, you need to get rid of that fox!
    I have hens, I love them as pets, if there was a fox KILLING them, Im afraid I would take the friends offer of relocating the fox, and let it take its chances wherever its moved to. Im not sure that a new fox would necessarily move in to the garden - its quite unusual for a fox to be 'tame' enough to move so close to humans - chickens or not.

Advertisement