Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MCQ opportunity cost

• 19-08-2013 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, I was wondering would anyone be able to answer this question for me as I am slightly confused. But I think the answer is A.

You have the choice of going to New York for a week, staying at work for the week, or spending the week skiing in Switzerland. If you decide to go to New York the opportunity cost is:
    A) the value of working and skiing;
    B) the value of work or skiing, depending on which you would have done rather than go to New York;
    C) working, because you would have given up a week's pay;

Please help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

clarab123 wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering would anyone be able to answer this question for me as I am slightly confused. But I think the answer is A.

You have the choice of going to New York for a week, staying at work for the week, or spending the week skiing in Switzerland. If you decide to go to New York the opportunity cost is:
    A) the value of working and skiing;
    B) the value of work or skiing, depending on which you would have done rather than go to New York;
    C) working, because you would have given up a week's pay;

Please help :)

In microeconomic theory, the opportunity cost of a choice is the value of the best alternative forgone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

So B).

OC isn't just financial value. You may have lost wages by choosing Skiing or New York but you would also have lost out on a holiday.

It depends which you value more.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

yeah as noodler said, it is definately B. It's not just financial value, as a holiday may be worth more to you that lost wages.

Advertisement