Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Would airport security be OK about bringing a sharpening steel in a carry-on bag? I mean one of these things, which could look like a weapon to some people:
    Sharpening_steel.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would say that's a no. It looks capable of causing injury.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

cerise wrote: »
    Locker. Since when have inhalers been generally banned on airlines? What airlines " generally" allow or don't allow them? I have flown to Europe, USA,Indonesia in the past and have always been able to use nicotine inhalers (use very few 1 or 2 on long haul flights). Will I have to switch to patches or gum which I do not like in future?

Well I don't know exactly what your inhaler is but those false cigarettes and eCiggs were banned shortly after the became popular, for example the eCiggs can actually set off the toilet fire alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Noob question:

Do toiletries such as lotion tub, deodorants, face wash, razors etc have to be in a 'transparent plastic bag.' (under 100ml of course)

It's been a while since i've gone through airport security but as far as I remember, I usually put my toiletries in a pencil case type bag which is not transparent.

Is this ok or should I put them in a plastic bag/maybe in checked luggage if there's space.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Firstly it's only liquids that that rule applies to. In amounts of 100ml or less.

Secondly, depending on who you meet at the scanner, they have to be in a particular size of plastic, resealable bag. I've gone through with my stuff in a freezer bag from the kitchen and had no problems. I've also gone through and been made decant everything from the freezer bag into one of their plastic resealable bags. There's no telling until you pitch up there. But they certainly must be in some sort of a clear resealable bag.

At least they're no longer stinging you for a euro for them. They usually have some left around the place that you can use.

If you're checking a bag in, easiest to just put the lot into that.

• Advertisement

Another quick question:

Are used empty water bottles ok through security?
    I'd fill them up with a fountain or in the bathroom afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I believe so. I've never tried to bring one through but I've read that you can.

Worst that can happen is you have to bin it at the scanners and buy another one inside!

Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Liquids include gels, paste, lotions, lip gloss, etc. You should be ok with the empty bottle

A spray deodorant is fine right?

• Advertisement

A spray deodorant is fine right?

Nope, unless it's under 100ml

xabi wrote: »
    Nope, unless it's under 100ml

It's exactly 100ml

It's exactly 100ml

That's fine then

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Firstly it's only liquids that that rule applies to. In amounts of 100ml or less.

Just to clarify, it's the individual container capacity that counts, not the 'amount' it contains. That means that you won't be allowed to bring liquid in a 200ml container, even if it's clearly less than half full.

As long as the capacity is stamped on the outside of the container and does not exceed 100ml, it will be fine. The clear plastic bag must be resealable and have a capacity of one litre.

Regulations fully explained here.... http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/airport-security.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Muggle24

Hi guys, was just booking a flight within europe and the aerlingus site is not clear on whether it allows a free cabin bag. Can anyone clarify this for me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

One bag and one personal item is included.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/cabin-baggage/
    Aer Lingus

Your bags.
    Max weight 10kg (22lb)
    Max size 55cm H (21.5") x 40cm W (15.5") x 24cm D (9.5")
    Plus one small personal item: Small handbag, laptop, duty free or baby changing bag.
    Max size 25cm H (10") x 33cm W (13") x 20cm D (8")

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Is a small suitcase okay (one that has gotten on a Ryanair flight)? And could I bring a backpack as well for cabin baggage or does it have to be in the suitcase as well?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A standard cabin-sized suitcase and a small backpack is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

It is OK to bring empty liquid containers that are larger capacity than the 100 ml. I finished a drink in the security Q last week then kept empty with me it with me as did not see a bin handy at the time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Isn't there bins before security for plastic bottles and things like that.. I could be wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes there is in Dublin and people also pile them up on the counter. I was in a different airport last week and was finishing up my 300ml bottle at last minute and openly put it in the tray to go thru and no problem. I dumped it 'airside'. I have brought home empty water bottles from Spain as I like the design (dark blue with large top opening).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Can anybody provide a link or explain what the situation is with carry on baggage for Ryanair?

I've been told conflicting stories by two different sources and cannot find an up to date link on the Internet.

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Locker10a wrote: »
    Well I don't know exactly what your inhaler is but those false cigarettes and eCiggs were banned shortly after the became popular, for example the eCiggs can actually set off the toilet fire alarm.

Has anyone been brave enough to test that out!

The reason I ask is I was in JFK with my friend recently who uses eCigs that look like cigarettes. The flight to Dublin was delayed. She was itching for a hit of nicotine, and the daft mare went into the toilets in the Departure Area and used her eCig. She told me she blew the vapour into her handbag! Nothing happened.

So back and forth she went. I couldn't believe it.

But she would not attempt it on the plane. Anyway it was an overnight flight so we fell asleep anyway.

I am not advocating breaking any rules, just saying that this is what happened. And I would say lots of people do it in every airport. Vapour is not smoke, so it seems!!

Has anyone been brave enough to test that out!!

Short Anwser, yes they have and the aircraft fire warning system has been triggered as a result

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Can anybody provide a link or explain what the situation is with carry on baggage for Ryanair?

I've been told conflicting stories by two different sources and cannot find an up to date link on the Internet.

Thanks for your help!

-1 trolley case
    -1 handbag/ small laptop bag.( to be placed under the seat infront )
    *on busy flights your trolley bag may be tagged and placed into the hold due to lack of stowage space in the cabin, this is done free of charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Locker10a wrote: »
    -1 trolley case
    -1 handbag/ small laptop bag.( to be placed under the seat infront )
    *on busy flights your trolley bag may be tagged and placed into the hold due to lack of stowage space in the cabin, this is done free of charge

Its on their website:

One cabin suitcase and one handbag/laptop case per person. They have eased up big time on checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Secondly, depending on who you meet at the scanner, they have to be in a particular size of plastic, resealable bag. I've gone through with my stuff in a freezer bag from the kitchen and had no problems. I've also gone through and been made decant everything from the freezer bag into one of their plastic resealable bags. There's no telling until you pitch up there. But they certainly must be in some sort of a clear resealable bag.

At least they're no longer stinging you for a euro for them. They usually have some left around the place that you can use.

If you're checking a bag in, easiest to just put the lot into that.

Re the plastic bag i use a large freezer one to get more stuff in (i have very sensitive skin that needs certain items) and i fold the freezer bag and put it into the corner of the tray so it looks like the regulation size and i have yet to be stopped. I travelled to 16 countries this year with no problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Does anyone know if Ryanair allow raw meat (spiced beef) to be brought through security in my hand luggage? I am flying from Dublin to Hungary and only taking hand luggage. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

kingtut wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Ryanair allow raw meat (spiced beef) to be brought through security in my hand luggage? I am flying from Dublin to Hungary and only taking hand luggage. Thanks :)

As Fred Swanson indicated, Ryanair and airport security wouldn't care about meat.

According to this random page, Hungary allows meat from other EU countries.

Advertisement