Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

kingtut wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Ryanair allow raw meat (spiced beef) to be brought through security in my hand luggage? I am flying from Dublin to Hungary and only taking hand luggage. Thanks :)
    Why do you want to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Great stuff thanks for the responses.

Tombstone - Only staying for a week and the luggage costs a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I have not flown in an airplane for a long, long time. Then, I had a small shoulder bag which I brought onto the plane and I had a suitcase which was checked in. If it weighed more than 20k I paid extra. I find Ryanair assume you know all about checking in stuff but I am afraid I am clueless.

Can anybody explain in very simple English about checking in baggage and allowances nowadays? What is checking in advance mean? What exactly am I allowed? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Generally on Ryanair there is no checked baggage as standard, you pay extra for bags.

You can choose 15kg or 20kg and you buy it for both legs on a return flight.

Their baggage page is pretty straightforward:

You can check-in up to two bags once you have purchased a checked baggage allowance of either 15 kilos or 20 kilos when you make your initial booking.

If you want to add checked bags after you’ve made your booking you can do so via Manage Booking up to 2 hours before your scheduled fight departure time.

Checked bags are charged per person, per one way flight.

Business Plus customers receive one 20 kilo checked bag included free of charge.

Fees may vary from time to time but it is the rates in force at the time you book and/or pay for your checked baggage allowance which apply.

Their current charges are here (jump right to the end for the baggage charges which make little sense to me actually).

• Advertisement

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Generally on Ryanair there is no checked baggage as standard, you pay extra for bags.

You can choose 15kg or 20kg and you buy it for both legs on a return flight.

Their baggage page is pretty straightforward:

Their current charges are here (jump right to the end for the baggage charges which make little sense to me actually).

Thanks a lot for your reply but can I bring it down to my idiots level? Imagine I have never flown with Ryanair before.

I envisage having a small bag on my shoulder and one bigger bag most probably a suitcase or some such. First, I have to book a ticket on line for myself?
    Now, what about my bags? Do I just turn up at the check in desk and they weigh them as in days past and check them in then? That is what I am used to. That's all I know. Or has that stopped now?

Or do I check in my bags at the same time as I book a ticket for myself maybe a couple months before flying? But how can I do that if I do not really know exactly how many bags I might have or their weight? This is what I can not understand. What do you mean by I can choose between 15k and 20k? I will have my own bag when I am travelling and I am not quite sure how much it will weigh until I get to the check in desk and they weigh it.
    This is what I mean by idiots level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

When you're booking your trip, the process is that first you select your flights and click next/proceed.

On the next page you will be presented with options for pre-booked seats and luggage. At this point you can select a 15kg or 20kg bag. If it's a return trip, the page will automatically add the bag for each way. If you're not sure how much your bag will weigh, just go with the 20kg option as it's still cheaper than having to pay per KG if you go over having just booked a 15kg bag. (excess baggage charged at €10/kg - or £10/kg in UK)

Just turning up and looking to pay for the bag at the airport is BAAAAAD news. They'll absolutely screw you over for it in some instances it's up to twice the online price to pay at the airport.

If you're really worried about it, how about packing the bag as you intend to do for the trip and just weigh it at home?

Eponymous wrote: »
    When you're booking your trip, the process is that first you select your flights and click next/proceed.

On the next page you will be presented with options for pre-booked seats and luggage. At this point you can select a 15kg or 20kg bag. If it's a return trip, the page will automatically add the bag for each way. If you're not sure how much your bag will weigh, just go with the 20kg option as it's still cheaper than having to pay per KG if you go over having just booked a 15kg bag. (excess baggage charged at €10/kg - or £10/kg in UK)

Just turning up and looking to pay for the bag at the airport is BAAAAAD news. They'll absolutely screw you over for it in some instances it's up to twice the online price to pay at the airport.

If you're really worried about it, how about packing the bag as you intend to do for the trip and just weigh it at home?

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. It is beginning to make sense to me now.

Imagine I reserve a flight today for March 20th. I don't know how heavy my big bag is going to be so I book (ie pay) for a 20kg bag.
    So I arrive at the check in I present my details and they weigh my bag and they find it weighs 18kg. Everything ok? They just take it and put it in the airplane?

Now. What about if I don't check in a bag on line when I am booking my ticket today, but on the day of travel I have actually changed my mind and I arrirve at the check in desk with a bag which weighs 18kg. What happens then?

What exactly is the advantage of booking in your bag when you are booking your flight? I still have to go to the check in desk and give my print out AND a bag whether I have checked it in online or not.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cheaper to book in bag when booking online than trying to book in bag at airport, you can do it but it's dearer.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Cheaper to book in bag when booking online than trying to book in bag at airport, you can do it but it's dearer.

But why?

If I book my bag on line for 20kg (and it costs euro 30 to do that or whatever the amount is) and I get to the airport and they weigh it and it weighs 18kg I don't have to pay extra because it does not exceed 20kg right? I already have paid online for it.

But if I don't book my bag online (maybe because I did not envisage bringing a bag in the first place but now I have changed my mind) and I just turn up and they weigh it and it weighs 18kg I still have not gone over the excess? How much do I have to pay them for taking the bag on board? Would it not be the same? ie euro 30?

If it is different, why is it different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

bobbyss wrote: »
    But why?

If I book my bag on line for 20kg (and it costs euro 30 to do that or whatever the amount is) and I get to the airport and they weigh it and it weighs 18kg I don't have to pay extra because it does not exceed 20kg right? I already have paid online for it.

But if I don't book my bag online (maybe because I did not envisage bringing a bag in the first place but now I have changed my mind) and I just turn up and they weigh it and it weighs 18kg I still have not gone over the excess? How much do I have to pay them for taking the bag on board? Would it not be the same? ie euro 30?

If it is different, why is it different?

Ryanair incentivise you to book your bags at time of booking. They just charge a more expensive rate if you arrive at the airport with bags not booked.

Have a look at this link, near the end. There's 1 column with an online price and another with airport price. https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/fees

Ryanair incentivise you to book your bags at time of booking. They just charge a more expensive rate if you arrive at the airport with bags not booked.

Have a look at this link, near the end. There's 1 column with an online price and another with airport price. https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/fees

OK Thanks a lot.
    I looked at that. But at the end of the day it does not matter whether you book it on line or at the desk itself in terms of time? Everyone has to queue up and wait their turn to process their tickets? There is no time saving element to it? I just got the impression that you could save yourself a lot of queuing time but this is not so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

OK Thanks a lot.
    I looked at that. But at the end of the day it does not matter whether you book it on line or at the desk itself in terms of time? Everyone has to queue up and wait their turn to process their tickets? There is no time saving element to it? I just got the impression that you could save yourself a lot of queuing time but this is not so?

No. Its just about charging you money.

You have to pay to check in a bag.
    Its cheaper to book this in advance when booking the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

OK Thanks a lot.

It speeds up the checkin process. If everyone turned up and had to pay for the baggage allowance at checkin time, then it would take forever to get everyone checked in. Ryanair run a tight turn around and want to get everyone to the gate ASAP, so a quick checkin helps them here. Plus they probably get a nice bit of interest from having the money in their accounts sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What Ryanair offer is this, a carry on bag up to 10kg, and a second smaller bag (Eg Handbag backpack, laptop bag).

Should you require a suitcase that you check in at the desk, you can purchase that addition during the booking process, and you will.pay between €70-€90 on a 20kg baggage allowance, depending on the destination. Arrive at the airport and present the bag without purchasing and they will charge you from €140-€180.

Why do they charge extra at the airport? Well Ryanair are a Low Cost Carrier who pride on having a very low cost base, having long lines, delayed flights, numerous baggage handlers/check in assistants cost money, which they don't want to spend. It's also making them a lot of money by charging people an arm and a leg.

MAKE SURE to check in online before your flight (from 7days to 6 hours before your flight) , if you fail to do so they will charge you I think it's €50 per person. It can end up as an expensive trip!

Happy travels!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

to be honest, I was of the impression that the staff at the checkin desk are not the ones who take the payment for the bag but rather the staff at the separate info desk/ ticket desk.
    So you have to queue twice.
    To be fair to Ryanair, their conditions are clearer and more transparant than anyone else I've flown with.

And if you want an idiots guide to understand their processes, its simply they want you to do as much at home as is possible and not need them to pay for staff to do something at the airport.
    So, book tickets online, book bags online, printout boarding pass at home.

The paying for bags idea has a multiple reasons, but the main one (according to Michael o Leary) is that flights were being delayed by people who for some reason (possibly sculling pints) had luggage on board but were no shows at departure time, and for security reasons the bags have to be found and removed off the plane before it can leave which takes time and messes up Ryanairs tight scheduling.
    So if you charge for bags, then you reduce the number of bags onboard and hence the chance and hassle caused should someone go on the lash pre-departure and not turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

to be honest, I was of the impression that the staff at the checkin desk are not the ones who take the payment for the bag but rather the staff at the separate info desk/ ticket desk.
    So you have to queue twice.
    To be fair to Ryanair, their conditions are clearer and more transparant than anyone else I've flown with.

And if you want an idiots guide to understand their processes, its simply they want you to do as much at home as is possible and not need them to pay for staff to do something at the airport.
    So, book tickets online, book bags online, printout boarding pass at home.

The paying for bags idea has a multiple reasons, but the main one (according to Michael o Leary) is that flights were being delayed by people who for some reason (possibly sculling pints) had luggage on board but were no shows at departure time, and for security reasons the bags have to be found and removed off the plane before it can leave which takes time and messes up Ryanairs tight scheduling.
    So if you charge for bags, then you reduce the number of bags onboard and hence the chance and hassle caused should someone go on the lash pre-departure and not turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Hi, In most of my recent travels with the family abroad add on luggage were added so there was never an issue with liquids, the kids are getting older and I just booked some summer holiday tickets but without adding any add on luggage.

I am going to buy 4 of those transparent bags, once for each of us, can I remove a bottle from the bag and replace it with a roll on deodorant or perfume bottle that is below 100ml? even if the bottle isn't 100% transparent? what about toothpaste can it be added as well considering that its 100ml or below? thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anything liquid or paste-like has to go in the bag, nothing in any container larger than 100ml, to a limit of one litre per person.

Toothpaste, roll on deodorant, perfume, all go in, as do the likes of hummus, cheese spread, jam - all in containers of under 100ml.

Doesn't matter if the bottle is tranparent or not, it just has to be under 100ml in size, regardless of how much liquid is actually in it.

When I travel with a group, I find it's easier just check one bag and stuff everything in that.

There isn't really any need to buy a bag - I usually use a sandwich bag - it's roughly the size of the ones they give out/sell at the airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Roll on stick deodorant does not have to go into the transparent bag - only if it has a liquid base.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

lxflyer wrote: »
    Roll on stick deodorant does not have to go into the transparent bag - only if it has a liquid base.

It actually does depending on what security agent you meet. As does powder eyeshadow and blusher. When I dared disagree with a particular not so nice guy in Dublin airport he asked if I actually wanted to get on my flight. He insisted they had paste bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

spurious wrote: »
    There isn't really any need to buy a bag - I usually use a sandwich bag - it's roughly the size of the ones they give out/sell at the airports.
    I dunno what brand but there is a sandwich bag in Tesco and it says on the back along the lines of "correct dimensions to be used in the Airport". All I can remember was it had pictures of sandwiches on it, used it myself, it was grand.
    athtrasna wrote: »
    It actually does depending on what security agent you meet. As does powder eyeshadow and blusher. When I dared disagree with a particular not so nice guy in Dublin airport he asked if I actually wanted to get on my flight. He insisted they had paste bases.
    I've never had someone ask me to put in eyeshadow or blusher. I did have a similar not so nice lady in Dublin airport who didn't appreciate me disagreeing with her that mascara was a liquid and should have been in the bag, she topped it all out looking for other things that didn't belong and then told me I was wasting her time.
    I asked on the way back in the UK and the much nicer lady I spoke to about said it should have been there and she'd be ringing Dublin Airport about it, she wasn't pleased they were confusing me.

athtrasna wrote: »

In taking numerous flights (mid-double figures) every year since the regulations were introduced, never have I been asked to put a roll-on stick deodorant in a transparent bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

alwald wrote: »
    Hi, In most of my recent travels with the family abroad add on luggage were added so there was never an issue with liquids, the kids are getting older and I just booked some summer holiday tickets but without adding any add on luggage.

I am going to buy 4 of those transparent bags, once for each of us, can I remove a bottle from the bag and replace it with a roll on deodorant or perfume bottle that is below 100ml? even if the bottle isn't 100% transparent? what about toothpaste can it be added as well considering that its 100ml or below? thanks.
    It's the bag that has to be transparent (and resealable), not the containers within it. Any liquids or gels have to be put into the bag.

You can have as many containers in the bag as you like as long as it closes. Each container should be under 100ml (ie you can't have a nearly empty 500ml bottle of shampoo that clearly has less than 100ml of shampoo in it).

Middle-sized freezer bags will do you fine - in my experience, if the airport staff haven't been happy with that lately they've always given me one or two of their bags that are usually left around the place before you approach the scanners.

Not sure what bags you're talking about buying, but there's really no need unless it's for the 100ml travel containers in them that you're after. (And you can buy them for pennies in the like of Boots, Tiger, Muji etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am not really sure of the logic behind the one bag. I guess maybe to do with saving time if they have to check the sizes of the containers within the bags. Although saying that I have never had anyone ever look at my bag.

I am guessing if a person had two bags it would be up to the security guard they were dealing with. Technically they could probably seize the extra bag, or advise the person to bring it back to their car etc but to be honest I would say most would leave it go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's to enforce a restriction on the total amount of fluids you can bring on board. The limits of 100 ml per container and 1 litre per transparent and resealable bag wouldn't be very effective if you could bring several bags of liquid containers onboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

lxflyer wrote: »
    In taking numerous flights (mid-double figures) every year since the regulations were introduced, never have I been asked to put a roll-on stick deodorant in a transparent bag.

Neither had I until then and am a very frequent traveller but that guy was difficult... To put it very politely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I would imagine that mascara and roll-on would be considered in the same category as gels and liquids. However, powdered make-up shouldn't be. However, since there are some gel-based eye-shadows and paste foundation compacts, the more ignorant of the airport security staff may very well insist on putting all make-up in the bag. I've read before people advising putting disposable contacts into the bag too. However, I forgot to do that before and didn't get asked to put it into the liquids bag - all about who you get and how attentive they are.

The rule about one bag is quite simple, the bag has to have no more than 1l of volume; if you have two bags then either there's no way for them to know what the total volume if your two bags is by just looking at them, or risk that the total of the two is more than the 1l limit.

• Advertisement

Gatica wrote: »
    I would imagine that mascara and roll-on would be considered in the same category as gels and liquids. However, powdered make-up shouldn't be. However, since there are some gel-based eye-shadows and paste foundation compacts, the more ignorant of the airport security staff may very well insist on putting all make-up in the bag. I've read before people advising putting disposable contacts into the bag too. However, I forgot to do that before and didn't get asked to put it into the liquids bag - all about who you get and how attentive they are.

The rule about one bag is quite simple, the bag has to have no more than 1l of volume; if you have two bags then either there's no way for them to know what the total volume if your two bags is by just looking at them, or risk that the total of the two is more than the 1l limit.

In what possible sense could a roll on stick deodorant be considered a gel or paste?

It's solid!!

As I've posted - the huge number of flights that I've taken since the rules were introduced will bear me out on that - never have I been asked to put it into a transparent bag.

Advertisement