Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

lxflyer wrote: »
    In what possible sense could a roll on stick deodorant be considered a gel or paste?

It's solid!!

How can it be a 'roll-on' if it involves a solid stick? The Sure UK website categorises mens' deodorants as 'stick', 'aerosol' and 'roll-on'. Only the stick is solid, the others involve a liquid. The roll-on is so-called because it involves a wet ball which rolls against the skin to apply the deodorant, your stick involves rubbing a substance similar in consistency to soft soap directly against the skin. They are different methods of delivery and clearly your item is solid but it's not a roll-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

coylemj wrote: »
    How can it be a 'roll-on' if it involves a solid stick? The Sure UK website categorises mens' deodorants as 'stick', 'aerosol' and 'roll-on'. Only the stick is solid, the others involve a liquid. The roll-on is so-called because it involves a wet ball which rolls against the skin to apply the deodorant, your stick involves rubbing a substance similar in consistency to soft soap directly against the skin. They are different methods of delivery and clearly your item is solid but it's not a roll-on.

Well perhaps your and my description of the act of moving the deodorant from the stick to my skin may differ, but I would describe it as rolling it along my skin.

But that's semantics!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Personally I would always carry medication in my hand luggage especially if it is important, in case of delays or lost luggage etc.
    My husband packed very important medication away in his suitcase, on a holiday to Greece some years back. When we got to Greece we discovered that baggage handlers in Dublin had left a load of suitcases on the runway including his meds. It was a nightmare trying to get meds sorted out over there as our luggage was delayed by three days!!!Holiday was really messed up because of it.

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering do you pack medication into your carry on luggage or check into your checked baggage ?

I agree 100% with sundew's response above. What conceivable reason would you have for putting medication into your check-in bags?

Always pack on the basis that the bags that you check in will arrive two days after you - you won't go much wrong if you follow that rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hi just wondering do you pack medication into your carry on luggage or check into your checked baggage ?
    Either is fine.

If it's liquid medication it's subject to the usual liquid rules, that's all.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Either is fine.

If it's liquid medication it's subject to the usual liquid rules, that's all.

Medicine and baby food are not subject to the 'usual liquid rules'.

Can I bring my medication on board the aircraft?

Yes, passengers are allowed to bring essential medication and dietary requirements in liquid form through the screening points in the quantities needed during their trip. Passengers may be required to demonstrate that what they are carrying is real and for genuine purposes, and not something less innocent.

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/airport-security/FAQs.aspx

You would need your head examined to put essential medication in a check-in bag when there is a reasonable possibility that it might not arrive at your destination at the same time as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

coylemj wrote: »

You would need your head examined to put essential medication in a check-in bag when there is a reasonable possibility that it might not arrive at your destination at the same time as you.

I really couldn't put this better myself!

We were both in our late teens and not experienced travellers when this cock-up happened.it really thought us a valuable lesson and still goes down as the holiday from hell!
    People on the holiday were giving out about their designer bikinis being delayed when we potentially had a life or death situation going on.
    As well as meds we now always pack holiday essentials ( swim-wear/ shorts/ t-shirt/ meds) in our hand luggage in case there is a mess up with our checked luggage.

see the only problem is i take alot of supplements , tribulus, D-asparic acid, multivitamins etc for my own strength and fitness training program (all legal) but none of the bottles or containers have my name on them as they are bought online :) ?

That is a whole different story, your post said 'medication'. Bring that type of stuff with you at your own risk. You are at serious risk of being pulled over and getting the third degree. I wouldn't travel anywhere carrying that type of stuff - not unless each container has a local pharmacy label with my name on it or at the very least a logo from a global pharmaceutical manufacturer (Pfizer/GSK etc.) that everyone will recognise as a legitimate 'over the counter' product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I'm heading to the UK next weekend and would like to bring back some packs of Tassimo coffee pods (much cheaper there). Does anyone know if there would be a problem getting them through security. I know they have a problem with liquids, not sure about the pods though.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

think it should be OK. they are sealed and it's "dry" product.
    but then again, it's Ryanair... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

gercoral wrote: »

It's security that do the liquid check, not Ryanair.

Pods should be okay, but be prepared to have your bag searched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

That's great thanks for the replies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Security restrictions have NOTHING to do with airlines. It amazes me that people can't separate the two! My own family sometimes think the same sometimes! I often forget how clueless the flying public are! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Locker10a wrote: »
    I often forget how clueless the flying public are! :pac:

It's easy blaim everything on Ryanair :P

Reminds me of a person I heard ahead of me in a line at Shannon Airport, this man was going on holidays to Spain and he booked in a travel agents, he had no idea where he was going, the fact that his suitcase was way overweight, or even that there was airport security checks! Luckily the customer service agent was quite helpful and it happened him and his disabled wife were on my flight, so I was happy to see them make it.

Makes you wonder though, with a thing such as flying, the general public would educate themselves before travelling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This post has been deleted.

Pity this was at check-in.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

Locker10a wrote: »
    Security restrictions have NOTHING to do with airlines. It amazes me that people can't separate the two! My own family sometimes think the same sometimes! I often forget how clueless the flying public are! :pac:

it was a joke. i have a full passport of stamps so i know how it rolls, thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

it was a joke. i have a full passport of stamps so i know how it rolls, thanks

Really ? :rolleyes::P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm going travelling to Asia shortly via Amsterdam with Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong. I'm wondering if it will be possible for me to take two laptops in my carryon luggage. I will have my own plus a second for a friend which I'm planning to give as a gift. I know I can fit them into my carryon as I would have a laptop bag and carryon. I'd also have 3 smart phones plus some camera equipment.

Has anyone any idea how Aer Lingus are with this and to a lesser degree Cathay Pacific.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Nobody should have any issue with that. Why should they? I used to do it regularly because I worked in IT and traveled and would sometimes need to bring an extra laptop in addition to my own to use as a demo or class machine. Just be able to give a good reason why you have so many phones!

And be prepared to pay duty on the laptop being brought over as a gift if you declare it as a gift. This goes for the other electronics and other high-value gifts as well, if they are gifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I got through Dublin with 21 phones, 1 laptop and 1 tablet one day , no comment other than can we have one.

Airport security are well familiar with folks travelling to trade shows and the like and won't cause a fuss.

Just be sure to take everything out of the luggage, each laptop separately and be sure all phones and laptops are fully charged

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Hi, I'm heading to London tomorrow which is were I work and am looking to see if I can bring these items in my hand luggage or if I have to check them in, probably the latter but just thought I'd ask here first, cheers.

If there are any sharp edges in that first item I wouldn't chance it and even if it's relatively harmless, there's always the risk that you meet one of the security people who's having a bad day or who feels that they need to confiscate stuff every now and then and it's your turn today!

There is a list of prohibited items at the link below but they make it clear that it not a definitive list i.e. the security people can make up new rules any time they feel like it......

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/airport-security.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

This is what they look like, I'll ask at the information desk first in the morning and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Redzer7 wrote: »
    This is what they look like, I'll ask at the information desk first in the morning and hope for the best.

The serrated edges on the metal bars will definitely be an issue, they could be used as a weapon so I'd say zero chance to bring them as hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What are they exactly? How would you describe them to a lay person who is not in your line of work & wouldn't know what they are just by looking at them?

If they have any sharp edges and could be used as a weapon, or could cause injury to someone, there is a very strong possibility that they won't let you through with them.

The airport list is not conclusive, as they can hardly be expected to list every metal object known to man on it. But the sharpness/weapon guideline is a good rule of thumb. I had a simple wine corkscrew taken off me a few weeks ago, for the very same reason.

Redzer7 wrote: »

It will be a waste of time asking the people on the information desk. It's not a straightforward issue like the rules on liquids, nobody other than the people operating the security lanes will be in a position to decide.

Looking at those serrated edges in your second post, I definitely wouldn't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

It looks like the headstock for a lathe? Those little edges are supposed to be very small.

I'm wondering if OP could walk to security and directly state the items, then see if they can go through or if OP will be allowed to exit and check them in the checked luggage, or leave them to someone else at the airport.

I've done it in the US. But at T1 in Dublin for example I was carrying a 150ml gel bottle, they saw the bottle was too big (it was in plain sight on the belt) and immediately took it. I said to hold on because I can simply squeeze 50ml out of it and go. They refused, gel in the rubbish. (edit: I specify, the whole thing HAD to go in the rubbish, no other options)

They can't be this strict with expensive items?? At least they should ask if you want to go out and leave it to someone to send it in the mail or if it's okay to throw it in the rubbish. It happened to me a couple times that I forgot something liquid in my carry-on and they always asked me what I wanted to do, instead of taking my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It looks like the headstock for a lathe? Those little edges are supposed to be very small.

I'm wondering if OP could walk to security and directly state the items, then see if they can go through or if OP will be allowed to exit and check them in the checked luggage, or leave them to someone else at the airport.

I've done it in the US. But at T1 in Dublin for example I was carrying a 150ml gel bottle, they saw the bottle was too big (it was in plain sight on the belt) and immediately took it. I said to hold on because I can simply squeeze 50ml out of it and go. They refused, gel in the rubbish.

They can't be this strict with expensive items?? It happened to me a couple times that I forgot something liquid in my carry-on and they always asked me what I wanted to do, instead of taking my property.

The bottle size limit is 100ml. You can't bring a larger bottle through, if it only has 100ml of fluid in it. The bottle itself has to be 100 ml or smaller. If yours wasn't, into the rubbish bin it went, regardless of how much or how little liquid was in it. Even if they did let you squeeze some gel out of it, you can't compare a liquid to a hard metal object.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Unless the bottle is empty. Of course.

Advertisement