Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What are they exactly? How would you describe them to a lay person who is not in your line of work & wouldn't know what they are just by looking at them?

If they have any sharp edges and could be used as a weapon, or could cause injury to someone, there is a very strong possibility that they won't let you through with them.

The airport list is not conclusive, as they can hardly be expected to list every metal object known to man on it. But the sharpness/weapon guideline is a good rule of thumb. I had a simple wine corkscrew taken off me a few weeks ago, for the very same reason.
    They're dies for a threading machine used to thread carbon pipe, used for sprinkler systems. They're sharpish teeth but only small but I can still see them being a problem. The reason why Id be going to the information desk first is that I'm curious as to what would happen if I checked in and then tried to go through security that I couldn't actually go back out and check them in. Wasn't planning in checking in a bag but if needs be then I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The bottle size limit is 100ml. You can't bring a larger bottle through, if it only has 100ml of fluid in it. The bottle itself has to be 100 ml or smaller. If yours wasn't, into the rubbish bin it went, regardless of how much or how little liquid was in it. Even if they did let you squeeze some gel out of it, you can't compare a liquid to a hard metal object.

You missed the other half of the post, that's only an anecdote.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Redzer7 wrote: »
    They're dies for a threading machine used to thread carbon pipe, used for sprinkler systems. They're sharpish teeth but only small but I can still see them being a problem. The reason why Id be going to the information desk first is that I'm curious as to what would happen if I checked in and then tried to go through security that I couldn't actually go back out and check them in. Wasn't planning in checking in a bag but if needs be then I will.

There's no way that any sharps will be allowed onto a plane. Just check the bag and save yourself an hour or more walking around the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,414 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Two options as I see it....

1. Err on the side of caution and check them in hold baggage
    2. Forget the help desk and go up to the people who will be making the call ie. the ASU team and before you get scanned by them and ask for a supervisor and have them give an opinion as it will be them rejecting or clearing the items through screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There isn't a total ban on sharp objects - you are for example allowed to bring knives with a blade of up to 6 cm in length. In the case of a penknife or nail scissors that's measured from the fulcrum (pivot point) to the tip of the blade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Whatever you decide to do OP, check the cost of checking a bag at the airport, versus deciding to do so in advance and pre paying for it. The cost varies from airline, but if you are flying on Ryanair, it can be very expensive to check the bag at the airport, versus paying for it in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

coylemj wrote: »
    There isn't a total ban on sharp objects - you are for example allowed to bring knives with a blade of up to 6 cm in length. In the case of a penknife or nail scissors that's measured from the fulcrum (pivot point) to the tip of the blade.

According to Citizens information in Ireland you can't carry any knifes on board

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/air_travel/security_issues_and_baggage.html

While the EU does allow knives under 6cm. The OP is carrying tools and Irish regulations totally forbid them. The EU doesn't allow drill bits and the OP is carrying something very similar.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/air/security/info_travellers_en.htm

Got through no problem at all, cheers for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

coylemj wrote: »
    If there are any sharp edges in that first item I wouldn't chance it and even if it's relatively harmless, there's always the risk that you meet one of the security people who's having a bad day or who feels that they need to confiscate stuff every now and then and it's your turn today!

There is a list of prohibited items at the link below but they make it clear that it not a definitive list i.e. the security people can make up new rules any time they feel like it......

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/airport-security.aspx

Agree with the bad day bit, wife was going through East Midlands 2 weeks ago and had her liquids in a bag bought in Tesco which had a sticker on it stating, 'Approved for airport security'. Despite this, the security woman took her stuff out and put it in one of their bags.
    I would check the bag in.

Agree with the bad day bit, wife was going through East Midlands 2 weeks ago and had her liquids in a bag bought in Tesco which had a sticker on it stating, 'Approved for airport security'. Despite this, the security woman took her stuff out and put it in one of their bags.
    I would check the bag in.

Through and all mate, lads were sound about it, I went to the security assistance desk just before it and went through it with them and had no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Cool, glad it worked out.
    I'm surprised though that they allow tools through. Someone in my family tried to bring carpentry tools through security with him and he was told that he cannot take tools though. He had to go back out and check them in. I guess it may depend on how much the security person knows about tools and how big or extensive the kit is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Del2005 wrote: »
    According to Citizens information in Ireland you can't carry any knifes on board

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/air_travel/security_issues_and_baggage.html

That Citizens Advice page was last updated in 2014. It mystifies me why people look at stuff on that website when there is a primary source for the information, in this case the Dublin Airport website where they list the following as prohibited ......

e) Knives with blades of more than 6cms
    f) Scissors with blades of more than 6cms as measured from the fulcrum

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/airport-security.aspx

I have a small Swiss Army penknife on a keyring and it never causes any problems going through the scanners.

yey, knitting needles are not on the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Travelling to London on Friday, I'm taking small suitcase on board was going to chance taking a suit bag on as well .. I know it's a busy flight and 5 of us will have suit bags ... ya reckon we could run into trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Off to the Travel Forum with ya ef

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I'm gonna redirect your thread to the travel forum.
    I will say that EI have a 1 cabin item and 1 personal item hand luggage policy. The suitcase would be cabin item, the suit carrier however will not qualify as a "personal item". I would advise your group to check in the 5 suitcase's and keep the suitcarriers with you as your cabin items. EI do have a new procedure of accepting some bags checked-in complimentary, Im not sure how it works however, perhaps someone in Travel forum will.
    In addition EI do not have hanger space on their aircraft. So dont be expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Need to buy 2 carry on bags as I have always travelled wirh Hold Baggage in the past.

Any deals or recommendations out there at moment???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Masala wrote: »
    Need to buy 2 carry on bags as I have always travelled wirh Hold Baggage in the past.

Can't recommend any particular brand or shop, but to make life easier I prefer a wheeled bag with an outside pocket. Also, the wheels should be set at the corners, not in the middle (or the bag continually topples over) and should be rubber not plastic (to avoid the racket that plastic wheels make).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Samsonite are always reliable, but can be pricy!
    But the advice above is excellent regarding rubber wheels and an easy access outer pocket!
    Keep it to dimension( have a quick google of Ryanair and Aer Lingus dimensions etc.) and also bear in mind that these days a large number of carry on trollys have to be gate checked anyway so get one that's durable etc

We have two 21" Aerolite carry on roller suitcases. They're some of the lightest on the market, at least were when we got them. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerolite-Lightweight-Wheeled-Spinner-Suitcase/dp/B01B4SU7GS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1461837605&sr=8-5&keywords=aerolite+spinner+21%22+bag

Flown Aerlingus, Ryanair and others without a bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

2 bags ?

You know you normally are only allowed the one. Or are you looking for a matching little and large one ?

Either that or you fly first class or business class where you can bring 2 onboard suitcases, in which case it doesnt matter about weight as you'd have free checked luggage (64kg in the case of Lufthansa).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

2 bags ?

You know you normally are only allowed the one. Or are you looking for a matching little and large one ?

Either that or you fly first class or business class where you can bring 2 onboard suitcases, in which case it doesnt matter about weight as you'd have free checked luggage (64kg in the case of Lufthansa).

Sorry... forgot to say that we travelling as a couple. Hence - looking to get 2 x cabin bags and skip the hold bag this time.

Also... by coincidence - over on BArgain Alerts is a the following thread:

Homestore may offer - Half price bbq's, light luggage and summer duvets
    Half price light luggage, bbq's and summer duvets(some all season) for May in homestore and more

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/half+...aign=wigigtext

So.. am heading in tomorrow to have a look around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this. I'm heading away to the US for a month and I want to minimise the amount of luggage I have. I'm bringing my large Samsonite suitcase and normally on long haul trips I also bring a over the shoulder casual haversack for the plane.

However on this trip I've to bring more than usual and I'm already a smart packer so my usual cabin bag won't work. I do have a wheelie case that meets hand luggage requirement on planes but that would mean to wheelie suitcases so that wouldn't work either.

So my question is this. Can anyone recommend somewhere (preferably in Dublin unless an online shop can deliver this week) I can a decent backpack that is economical, durable and designed for modern travel? Don't want one with wheels.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,600 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Saw these bags during the week on Facebook ad, no experience using but price looks cheap and sizing within the limits...

http://www.jeteasy.ie/shop/

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Have a look at cabin zero bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Hey guys. Just a quick question.
    The current restriction on Ryanair are as follows: You can carry one cabin bag weighing up to 10 kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 onboard the aircraft.

Is it the total volume? Or does the small bag have to me no greater in length than 35? I have a small laptop bag that is 41 x 8 x 30. Will this be okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Shane St. wrote: »
    The current restriction on Ryanair are as follows: You can carry one cabin bag weighing up to 10 kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 onboard the aircraft.

Is it the total volume? Or does the small bag have to me no greater in length than 35? I have a small laptop bag that is 41 x 8 x 30. Will this be okay?

No, it's the dimensions, so 41>35 makes it fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I've travelled RYR a few times recently.

1. there is no weighing.
    2. Unless you have a wheelie cabin case that is off the scale, it is ok.
    3. The extra bag, it seems to me as long as it can go over your shoulder, and can fit under the seat in front it's ok.

RYR for the win now.

Just don't take a wheelie that looks like it is a transatlantic monolith and you will be ok. If it doesn't fit overhead (no room), they will throw it into the hold.

Believe me, by the time you get to the baggage reclaim after immigration... your huge wheelie will be there.

But remember, ALWAYS be prepared for your hand luggage to be shunted to the hold, so ALWAYS keep your passport on your person. And be able to identify your hand luggage on the baggage belt.

This is important, because if you have all your travel docs in the wheelie, and it is sent to the hold for one reason or another, you will have a problem at the passport control.

Just saying like.

As if any Boardsies would put their passports in their cabin baggage now.... lol.

• Advertisement

Shane St. wrote: »

Although those are the max dimensions I've never seen them checking the second bag. If it's a full flight and you have a massive backpack, maybe.. but for laptops and handbags I've never seen people having issues.

Advertisement