Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks for your reply. Yes I was thinking that but was worried as its medication and i also wanted to send a steroid just in case. I wasn't travelling, just my son and his dad so that also makes you worry a little more :) €10 for a letter that I probably didn't need but it's worth not having to worry about anything!

I usually get a print out from my pharmacy of the drugs I'm on which I'm traveling with.
    It costs nothing and is an official record of what I'm carrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks for your reply. Yes I was thinking that but was worried as its medication and i also wanted to send a steroid just in case. I wasn't travelling, just my son and his dad so that also makes you worry a little more :) €10 for a letter that I probably didn't need but it's worth not having to worry about anything!

The fact that it's medication only becomes an issue if it involves liquid in a >100ml container in which case some proof like a pharmacy receipt would be required. Nobody cares if it's toothpaste, mascara or medication if the container is less than 100ml so there will be no need to produce a letter.

I appreciate that you want to play it safe but waving a letter at the security people will only hold things up, just shove it the transparent bag if it's less than 100ml and they will be fine.

And for the steroid, leave it in the original container showing the manufacturer's name and there will be no issues. People take medication through security every day of the week and don't get stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

The steroid doesn't come in an original container. It is a foil pack of 4 small tablets. I never said I wanted to wave it around at security or hold things up. Having traveled quite a bit with small children I appreciate getting through security quickly. All I wanted was to have some official documentation for his father to have incase there was an issues. So calm down there.

Tatranska that is a great idea thanks for sharing. I've never had to travel with any kind of medication before so it's all new to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Can it be done? Has it been done?

Travelling from Dublin Airport with Aer Lingus to Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No chance, it will be classified as a weapon same as a baseball bat. Aer Lingus should take it as hold luggage free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

Apologies if in the wrong forum but can I?
    I was hoping to take a kettle in one carry on suitcase and a Foreman grill in another. It's for an apartment and the items are only travelling in one direction. Haven't been able to answer the question online, bar ringing Ryanair direct.
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So call Ryanair direct. Also may be worth checking the IAA site

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

But there's no where to plug them in on the plane. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Apologies if in the wrong forum but can I? I was hoping to take a kettle in one carry on suitcase and a Foreman grill in another. It's for an apartment and the items are only travelling in one direction. Haven't been able to answer the question online, bar ringing Ryanair direct. TIA

Put them in the hold. Doubt if security will let them through baggage check. Plus would it not make sense to buy them locally with the proper plug on the end instead of using an adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Probably not but call Ryanair to ask. You can buy a kettle and a panini grill for under 20 apice.... What's so special about your kit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

going away for few weeks and it just occurred to me that I might need a nail clipper, can I bring it in the carry on luggage or is it considered a dangerous item?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Have always checked in baggage so have never take liquids etc through security for hand baggage. Flying tomorrow and don't really want to add checked baggage so how is tooth paste and 40g tubes of cream etc treated.

Are they considered liquids and need to be under 100ml etc?

For someone who works at an airport I really should know how it works....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Yep, creams, gels, toothpaste, deodorant, and liquids must all be under 100ml, and presented in a closable see through plastic bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yep, creams, gels, toothpaste, deodorant, and liquids must all be under 100ml, and presented in a closable see through plastic bag.

Thanks, what about an electric shaver

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Thanks, what about an electric shaver

Should be fine, even razor blades and certain size penknives are allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i will be flying from dublin, as i need my mobility scooter will i be allowed to use it from the time i arrive, also will i be allowed to take it to my destination, i believe that i will be on a chartered flight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

flutered wrote: »
    i will be flying from dublin, as i need my mobility scooter will i be allowed to use it from the time i arrive, also will i be allowed to take it to my destination, i believe that i will be on a chartered flight

You'll need to check with the airline in question to see what their policies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Hey all,

travelling to Cardiff next week with Aer Lingus regional and just noticed they have different cabin baggage rules with only one 7kg bag allowed.

Anyone any success bringing another small bag with them, ie a laptop backpack?

chocksaway wrote: »
    Hey all,

travelling to Cardiff next week with Aer Lingus regional and just noticed they have different cabin baggage rules with only one 7kg bag allowed.

Anyone any success bringing another small bag with them, ie a laptop backpack?

My mum was fine with her handbag and trolly case! So I think you'll be ok!
    If the flight is busy they may gate/check your case anyway!
    I really don't think it's a problem, Aer Lingus allow 2 pieces of luggage, the difference in size/ weight is for the trolly case due to the aircraft that operates regional flights being different!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I know they sometimes check the dimensions of the carry on bag, but do Ryanair ever weigh your carry on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭wolfpac

I want to put my laptop bag in a bigger bag (that meets the requirements) but I'm not sure if it will count as two pieces of carry on luggage as I'm only allowed one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've done it loads of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭wolfpac

Thanks did you take the bag out at security?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

A laptop bag is allowable as a second bag - even on Ryanair. Unless you also have a handbag or shopping bag in addition to the regular carry on bag.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wolfpac wrote: »
    Thanks did you take the bag out at security?

Yes you have to take the laptop out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just to save some time here, will be flying out of T2 on Saturday with the family, we'll have the kids tablets (not the medicinal kind) in our carry on luggage to entertain them during the flight, can I leave these in the bag or will I need to take them out of the bag and place them in the tray? No great hardship either way, but like to be one of those people prepared at security & not cause any undue delay.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

DvB wrote: »
    Just to save some time here, will be flying out of T2 on Saturday with the family, we'll have the kids tablets (not the medicinal kind) in our carry on luggage to entertain them during the flight, can I leave these in the bag or will I need to take them out of the bag and place them in the tray? No great hardship either way, but like to be one of those people prepared at security & not cause any undue delay.

Tablets and laptops must be removed from bags and placed on top. There's no explicit definition of where a device ceases to be a phone and becomes a tablet based on screen size but when in doubt, put it on top.

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-information/airport-security/hand-baggage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭DvB

coylemj wrote: »
    Tablets and laptops must be removed from bags and placed on top. There's no explicit definition of where a device ceases to be a phone and becomes a tablet based on screen size but when in doubt, put it on top.

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-information/airport-security/hand-baggage

Yep, pretty much what I was thinking, thanks for that!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Came through Faro yesterday on the way home.
    Wife had packed 2 bottles of sun cream in carry on cases:(
    Security removed them and swabbed the case, my wallet, phone and hands for a drugs test.

Had my camera case full of drugs ( the medicinal, life saving kind) ;)

On the luggage end.
    Put my cases in the hold of Ryanair flights on both journeys.
    Faro is a nightmare with 2 young kids and buggies, and never mind cases.
    Upstairs and downstairs, no lifts of escalators.
    Carrying everything including 4 cases downstairs to the plane was a nightmare. Just glad we didn't have to carry them up the plane steps:)

• Advertisement

Came through Faro yesterday on the way home.
    Wife had packed 2 bottles of sun cream in carry on cases:(
    Security removed them and swabbed the case, my wallet, phone and hands for a drugs test.

Had my camera case full of drugs ( the medicinal, life saving kind) ;)

On the luggage end.
    Put my cases in the hold of Ryanair flights on both journeys.
    Faro is a nightmare with 2 young kids and buggies, and never mind cases.
    Upstairs and downstairs, no lifts of escalators.
    Carrying everything including 4 cases downstairs to the plane was a nightmare. Just glad we didn't have to carry them up the plane steps:)

It wasn't a drugs test, it was an explosives test......

Advertisement