Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

These swabs are done regularly at airports and doubt had anything to do with your sun-creams, except that it was easier to just pick you at that stage. It's unfortunate you had the hassle of having your bags checked because of them, hopefully she'll remember to stick them in the liquids clear bag next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just a tip. I put anything electrical e.g. chargers, kindle, anything with wires, battery backup pack and so on into a ziplock bag and throw it into the box. Always take off my watch and put it, together with wallet/purse into a zipped pocket inside my bag.

The way some airport security operates it's a wonder things are not stolen left right and centre. Maybe they are sometimes, and I've just been lucky Touch Wood.

I don't know what to do about the smartphone, it has to be visible and it would be so easy to steal.

I know, I know. But still.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't know what to do about the smartphone, it has to be visible and it would be so easy to steal.

It doesn't have to be visible. I never show the smartphone on top, it's always in a zip pocket with my keys and wallet at the front of my carry-on bag or in a pocket in my jacket which I fold and deposit in the plastic tray and I've never been pulled up on it. The only gadget not on display which they sometimes ask to see when my stuff comes out of the scanner is my little radio, they have never asked me to take out the smartphone to take a look at it.

• Place laptops and large electrical items separately in a tray
    • Keep coins, keys, mobile phones and other small items in your coat or hand baggage

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-information/airport-security/hand-baggage

agreed, only laptops and tablets have to be out of your bag. The rest of things like kindle, phone, camera, random bits and pieces do not unless specifically requested. I have seen at some airports staff requesting kindles and photocameras to be taken out too, but that is less common.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Out of interest, why do laptops/tablets have to be taken out and visible, when all other electronics don't? :confused:

That's always puzzled me!

• Advertisement

no idea, but my guess would be that it's a large area dense with electronics under which something more sinister could be hidden through the scanners if they weren't individually visible to the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for the info about phones in Dublin.

However, coming back from London City Airport recently, mobile phone, kindle, ipads had to be taken out and placed separately. But the UK is on high alert at the moment.

And just a comment, whilst the staff at LCY security were very professional, the system was a disaster. The trays disappeared long before you got through the body screening. Queues were moved randomly from one side to the other, leaving a lot of disgruntled passengers in the other queue who were told to let those from the "moved" queue ahead of them. Definitely possible for stuff to be stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Out of interest, why do laptops/tablets have to be taken out and visible, when all other electronics don't? :confused:

That's always puzzled me!
    its because they are large enough and complex enough to need to be scanned separately to ensure they are not just a bomb in disguise.

as for stuff getting stolen at security, I've heard of it happen but never heard of anyone I know have it happen to them.

If you are prepared for security with your phones and wallet in a bag or a jacket (and the security doesnt look to have the phone removed) then that would go a long way to avoiding any opportunity theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The preplanned theft in that situation involves someone getting in front of you in the queue for the scanner, they then delay things by having lots of small metal objects on their person which set off the alarm so the queue gets jammed. Meanwhile, your plastic tray exits the luggage scanner and an accomplice takes off with your tablet or laptop while you're stuck on the wrong side of the body scanner.

The problem with doing this in a European airport is that the two thieves can only get access to the security area if they both have boarding passes so they have to pay for two flights and they will typically only get one opportunity to pull off the theft as described and if the laptop or tablet they steal isn't a high-end model, they could end up at a loss on the enterprise. In other parts of the world, the people who control access to the security area can be bought off so after stealing someone's laptop, the thieves can scurry off, slip a few dinars to a security person to get back landside and in an hour or less they can go back in to pull off another theft at which point the victim of the earlier theft has had to go and board his flight.

I'd imagine they have cameras over the security area. The thief wouldn't be able to run far within a secured area, so I cannot see this kind of theft occurring much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i am due to travel from dublin next month to italy, i am part of a large group which are traveling with ryan air, the booking agent has informed me that my mobility scooter cannot go, this is my first time carrying it with ryan air, aer lingus has carried it to the u.s. and back, any ideas folks, is their any point in contacting them and trying to argue my case, as this is adding €270 to the cost of the holliday as i cannot manage without one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Contact Ryanair directly via Twitter, they will be able to give you accurate information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

alwald wrote: »
    Contact Ryanair directly via Twitter, they will be able to give you accurate information.
    of simply use the power of the interwebby thing to just get the info now , i.e.
    https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Special-assistance/Can-I-bring-my-own-electric-wheelchair-mobility-scooter

i have just read that, but the next problem is how to cintact them, their website seems to lead me away from contacting anyone, their live chat is down, i have a month to hunt them down, i guess someone in the arranging of the trip has a little sideline going, arranging for their rental to unsuspecting travellers

This post has been deleted.
    its the agent who is refusing not ryanair, i am only one of a party of roughly 60, the agent got all the necessary info three weeks ago

only for the trip is paid for i would stay at home, or hit to some other sunny climes, as its the middle of september and shcools will be open their must be some bargains out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Hi,

Flying Aer Lingus to play a match abroad and need to bring a pair of football boots on carry on luggage. Anyone know if this should be ok? Can't see any definitive info online.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hi,

Flying Aer Lingus to play a match abroad and need to bring a pair of football boots on carry on luggage. Anyone know if this should be ok? Can't see any definitive info online.

I've taken my cycling shoes with the cleats (& even my own pedals also) on my hand-luggage.
    Scanned & Flagged ; once informed of what they were, the staff were okay, every time.

Don't foresee any issue with football boots tbh,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Hi I'm just wondering whether I need to put this in a special plastic bottle? Id get them in Deals ?is it OK to take them in hand luggage? Thanks, S

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering whether I need to put this in a special plastic bottle? Id get them in Deals ?is it OK to take them in hand luggage? Thanks, S

Nothing to do with aer lingus, it's airport security.

When I have flown with liquid medicine I have brought a letter saying it was prescribed. However I don't think that's strictly necessary. Be prepared to let them swab and test the bottle contents, or ask you to take some medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Hi all,

I’m travelling to Italy to a wedding next week. As I’m only going for 2 days and as this wedding is already costing me an arm and a leg I’ve only booked carry-on baggage. Does anyone know if Ryanair accept folded suit-bags in addition to your main 10kg carry-on bag?

I know they’ve relaxed the rules lately with regard to additional duty free bags, woman’s handbags (which can come in men’s suit sizes:)) and satchels etc.

Any advice welcome!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

It should be fine, they may put your case into the hold at the gate but you can then bring the bag onboard and perhaps fold it on top of bags in the locker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi

Does anyone know if you can include asthma inhaler in carry on luggage?
    Or how would I find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭chrisire

yeah its not a problem,i normally carry 10 back when i go to Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Tim76 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m travelling to Italy to a wedding next week. As I’m only going for 2 days and as this wedding is already costing me an arm and a leg I’ve only booked carry-on baggage. Does anyone know if Ryanair accept folded suit-bags in addition to your main 10kg carry-on bag?

I know they’ve relaxed the rules lately with regard to additional duty free bags, woman’s handbags (which can come in men’s suit sizes:)) and satchels etc.

Any advice welcome!

I think it may be down to the mood of the staff on the day, how full the flight is, or how full they expect the over head bins to be on the day. The second personal item that you are allowed, has a size restriction too. (The precise dimensions are listed on the Ryanair website.) It is roughly the same size and shape, as a ladies handbag or a laptop bag. A suit bag is clearly a lot bigger than either of those. They may very well wave you on board with both, or they make ask you to put one of your items in the hold. There is no way to say for sure what they will say to you on the day, as a suit bag is well over the size limit & it's kinda hard to hide.

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know if you can include asthma inhaler in carry on luggage?
    Or how would I find out?
    Yes you can travel with this no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Heading to Orlando in a few weeks and I'm just wondering can I take a few boxes of baby food in the suitcase?

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Heading to Orlando in a few weeks and I'm just wondering can I take a few boxes of baby food in the suitcase?
    I don't see why now
    Just remember liquids are restricted in hand luggage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'll be flying Ryanair soon and will take the usual cabin bag suitcase along, but for the "small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms" do you think I could get away with a small-ish backpack?

I have one of these backpacks (not me in the pic btw):

418s12RPslL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

You won't be allowed that water bottle through security you have tucked in the side of your bag i hope you know.

Advertisement