Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Beersmith wrote: »
    You won't be allowed that water bottle through security you have tucked in the side of your bag i hope you know.

Ho ho ho ... anyway, reckon this size is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Not being smart, but have you measured your backpack and checked if it is any closer to those dimensions ?
    If the material is soft and it is up to 1 cm more on each side you should be OK.
    Bigger than that I personally would not risk it.

otnomart wrote: »
    Not being smart, but have you measured your backpack and checked if it is any closer to those dimensions ?
    If the material is soft and it is up to 1 cm more on each side you should be OK.

No that's fine, it's approx 45cm long * 35cm wide *BUT* can be squished obviously.

Just that I recall seeing people taking the p*ss and carrying on second bags that were almost as big as the main carry-ons, but that was about 3 years ago so curious if it's stricter now.

The main carry on would be strong enough to go in the hold if required, but do they charge if this is a necessity?

...and with that, the post was lost in the mire of a megathread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

mrcheez wrote: »
    otnomart wrote: »

No that's fine, it's approx 45cm long * 35cm wide *BUT* can be squished obviously.

Just that I recall seeing people taking the p*ss and carrying on second bags that were almost as big as the main carry-ons, but that was about 3 years ago so curious if it's stricter now.

The main carry on would be strong enough to go in the hold if required, but do they charge if this is a necessity?
    If your trolly case is the correct size, for cabin dimensions they will not charge to put it into the hold. On busy flights this will be done free of charge at the gate.
    The idea of the second smaller bag is that if goes under the seat infront of you, If you are willing to place this backpack unser your seat and its the correct size to do so then you will be allowed to take it onboard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Are small umbrellas allowed in cabin luggage?
    Yes

Locker10a wrote: »
    If you are willing to place this backpack unser your seat and its the correct size to do so then you will be allowed to take it onboard

Yeah pretty much what I was thinking but wasn't sure. Though I've definitely seen people taking on larger bags that had to be put in the locker along with their main carry-on luggage that certainly wouldn't fit under the seat.

OK cool answered my question, cheers, my backpack is certainly fine for under a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Beersmith wrote: »
    You won't be allowed that water bottle through security you have tucked in the side of your bag i hope you know.

Yes he will - as long as it's empty :D

Yeah pretty much what I was thinking but wasn't sure. Though I've definitely seen people taking on larger bags that had to be put in the locker along with their main carry-on luggage that certainly wouldn't fit under the seat.

OK cool answered my question, cheers, my backpack is certainly fine for under a seat.

My advice would be not to carry it on your back, but sling it onto your shoulder and squish it into your side - that's what we did recently to make it not attract too much attention.

But I agree also re people taking the P - have seen people lugging bags (plural) on board that were much bigger than the allowed dimensions - and they got away with it! Not that there's any guarantee, of course.

Another way of doing things is to allow/encourage/beg for the taking of your legitimately larger carry-on bag into the hold at either bag check or at boarding. Then it may look as if your extra bag actually IS your carry-on bag ... There's no extra charge for this BTW.

• Advertisement

RoYoBo wrote: »
    My advice would be not to carry it on your back, but sling it onto your shoulder and squish it into your side - that's what we did recently to make it not attract too much attention.

This, or perhaps cover it with my jacket and hang it over my arm. It will have a laptop in it though so may take a bit of practice ;)

One last question. I purchased a specified seat on my Ryanair flight near the rear of the plane, should I also go for priority boarding to ensure I get luggage space back there, or does the front of the plane generally fill up earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Hi, I'm flying with Ryanair to the UK tomorrow night and tomorrow I'm going to boots to top up on moisturiser cream, what is the restriction on creams in carry on baggage? Is it 100ml like liquids? Someone told me its 50ml

One last question. I purchased a specified seat on my Ryanair flight near the rear of the plane, should I also go for priority boarding to ensure I get luggage space back there, or does the front of the plane generally fill up earlier?

We've never bothered with priority boarding and always managed to get our carry-ons into a locker when we wanted to, but YMMV. Lately, we always let them go to the hold if at all possible. Usually, they use back and front doors to board, so it's pretty much the luck of the draw with getting space. Maybe get into the boarding queue as soon as possible at the gate and sprint for the plane?

If you're chancing the backpack as a handbag/manbag, why not keep valuables and electronics in it and let the main carry-on go to the hold, if necessary? Pack smart so that this is an option anyway.

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm flying with Ryanair to the UK tomorrow night and tomorrow I'm going to boots to top up on moisturiser cream, what is the restriction on creams in carry on baggage? Is it 100ml like liquids? Someone told me its 50ml

It's 100mls for any liquid, including creams. AFAIK, you can only carry on up to 1 litre (10) of these in the liquids bag. I buy pound shop containers and decant my creams and liquids into them to save on outrageous prices for travel sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

If you're chancing the backpack as a handbag/manbag, why not keep valuables and electronics in it and let the main carry-on go to the hold, if necessary? Pack smart so that this is an option anyway.
    Zigackly. For example, even if I'm not bringing all my camera kit (a DSLR plus three extra lenses + flash + battery packs/charger etc. weighs quite a bit, relative to size/volume), I use my Lowepro case to carry on tablets, phones and any other electronics or delicate items. Before, I used to worry about what would happen to them if my far flimsier cabin bag had to go in the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Not sure if this is the right thread but my niece is travelling to the US tomorrow from Dublin Airport. She always takes food for the plane with her when flying to europe etc and its never a problem. Can she do it for the US plane too as she clears customs here? By food I mean a ham roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tony-od

Dovies wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread but my niece is travelling to the US tomorrow from Dublin Airport. She always takes food for the plane with her when flying to europe etc and its never a problem. Can she do it for the US plane too as she clears customs here? By food I mean a ham roll.

We always bring chicken rolls with no problems on us flights.

peckerhead wrote: »
    Zigackly. For example, even if I'm not bringing all my camera kit (a DSLR plus three extra lenses + flash + battery packs/charger etc. weighs quite a bit, relative to size/volume), I use my Lowepro case to carry on tablets, phones and any other electronics or delicate items. Before, I used to worry about what would happen to them if my far flimsier cabin bag had to go in the hold.

Ah right, I thought you had to pay to put cases in the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's 100mls for any liquid, including creams. AFAIK, you can only carry on up to 1 litre (10) of these in the liquids bag. I buy pound shop containers and decant my creams and liquids into them to save on outrageous prices for travel sizes.

Just be aware that the restrictions on liquids in carry-on luggage says that each container needs to have the capacity (e.g. 75 ml) stamped on it. Not a problem if you're using original containers but a possible 'gotcha' if you decant shampoo into a little bottle you got in a hotel or you buy the empty bottles in the pound shop.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Just be aware that the restrictions on liquids in carry-on luggage says that each container needs to have the capacity (e.g. 75 ml) stamped on it. Not a problem if you're using original containers but a possible 'gotcha' if you decant shampoo into a little bottle you got in a hotel or you buy the empty bottles in the pound shop.

I know this is supposed to be the case, but I have not been stopped with the unmarked pound shop containers since I started using them a few years back. I don't know whether it's the fact that it's very obvious they contain less than 100mls or they've just been missed out on. I accept there's no guarantee and I'm prepared to dump these small amounts if required :p

Another option is to refill any small plastic bottle that already has the capacity marked on it with your toiletry liquids. Taking these home empty takes up very little room and adds negligible weight.

Maybe not everyone is a cheapskate like me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Ah right, I thought you had to pay to put cases in the hold.

you do to check in a larger bag

if flight is busy they will offer to put your carry on in the hold for free

Riskymove wrote: »
    you do to check in a larger bag

if flight is busy they will offer to put your carry on in the hold for free

Right, well that's my plan. I'll bring both bags with me to the boarding gate, but will ensure that one doesn't contain electronics and can be put in hold if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Tim76 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m travelling to Italy to a wedding next week. As I’m only going for 2 days and as this wedding is already costing me an arm and a leg I’ve only booked carry-on baggage. Does anyone know if Ryanair accept folded suit-bags in addition to your main 10kg carry-on bag?

I know they’ve relaxed the rules lately with regard to additional duty free bags, woman’s handbags (which can come in men’s suit sizes:)) and satchels etc.

Any advice welcome!
    Tim can I ask, were you allowed your suit carrier as second carry on? And was it one of the ones you get free with your suit in the shop, or was it a proper fabric one? We're flying to Glasgow for a wedding on Ryanair next weekend and we have the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

so we are travelling soon, i got tickets from ryanair for a trip to germany.

now we have a travel system like this:
    http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/c-813/travel-systems/p-11778/beep-twist-travel-system-frame-car-seat/

now i usually transport our infant in a carrier like the one on the very left on the product page, because its convenient and can also be used as a car-seat.

now we're wondering, can we take such a car-seat with us when travelling with ryan air?

turkish airlines allows this and strollers to be taken with you, you just have to leave them outside when you board the plane and they will be transported to your destination.

does that work with ryan air as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's always best to check the current situation by looking up the airline's own website. Ryanair have an information section where there is a lot of information on that topic......

Click on this link then scroll down and (in the left column) click on 'Travelling with children', then (in the right column), click on 'Can I use a child car seat, Meru travelchair or postural support on the plane..'

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Elirlandes

This post has been deleted.
    I brought 4 7kg hocks of smoked ham as hand baggage earlier this year (roasted them in Spain for a party). No problem with Ryanair (as ever) and the DAA security only had a laugh on x-ray and opened to check to make sure that it wasn't body parts - apparently if they see bone, they have to check no matter what.
    The hams were delicious by the way, and the Spaniards loved them...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How strict are Stobart on the Carry-On?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

Hey folks

So I'm travelling to Rome shortly for a few days and I need to bring syringes and needles with me. 2 of each. I don't have a prescription for the medication as it's performance enhancing stuff but what I'm asking is can I take this through security in my hand luggage without any problems? I am not checking in baggage so don't have that option.

Note the medication is not illegal I just don't have a prescription is all.

Thanks for any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Manta400r wrote: »
    Hey folks

So I'm travelling to Rome shortly for a few days and I need to bring syringes and needles with me. 2 of each. I don't have a prescription for the medication as it's performance enhancing stuff but what I'm asking is can I take this through security in my hand luggage without any problems? I am not checking in baggage so don't have that option.

Note the medication is not illegal I just don't have a prescription is all.

Thanks for any help

not a hope in hell of getting those needles through security. Just buy 2 when you get to Rome

Advertisement