Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The animal will need to be put in the hold. You would need to contact the airline in advance to ensure the hold is pressurized and heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've seen a cat in the cabin once on a lufthansa flight from Frankfurt to Dublin, that was a few years ago though. I'm on my phone at the moment so can't check, but I looked into this myself once and there was something about travelling with pets on the lufthansa website, as long as certain requirements are met and you arrange it and pay for the cat in advance it seemed to be fine for them to travel in the cabin. Maybe they've changed their rules, but I'd look into lufthansa again. Maybe you were just talking to someone who couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sandypas76

miezekatze wrote: »
    Maybe they've changed their rules, but I'd look into lufthansa again. Maybe you were just talking to someone who couldn't be bothered.

It's really hard to tell who's giving the correct information and the risk is that I go to the airport with my cat and they tell me that I cannot bring him in the cabin with me!
    Once they said yes, then they said no. Maybe the guy who said yes understood Berlin instead of Dublin.

sandypas76 wrote: »
    It's really hard to tell who's giving the correct information and the risk is that I go to the airport with my cat and they tell me that I cannot bring him in the cabin with me!
    Once they said yes, then they said no. Maybe the guy who said yes understood Berlin instead of Dublin.

If they still allow cats in the cabin, you have to notify them some time in advance and there's a charge too. You can't just show up with a cat on the day.

• Advertisement

If they still allow cats in the cabin, you have to notify them some time in advance and there's a charge too. You can't just show up with a cat on the day.

Well, yes, I know that. That's not what I meant. I wrote quickly but what I meant is: if I call let's say Lufthansa and the agent does book my cat on the flight, and I go to the airport with my booking for me and the cat, there is a risk that I the cat will be refused boarding if the agent made a mistake. I cannot see how they could book my cat without the error being detected before I go to the airport, but it may happen that pets are refused boarding on the day, even with a legitimate booking e.g. if the measures or weight are not within the limits.

Hi, I have all this information. That's not enough. They might not fly pets in the cabin to Ireland.
    That's what I was told yesterday.
    No pets in the cabin or in the hold on flights to the UK and Ireland, and when I protested that Ireland is not part of the UK, I'm in the Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland, they said it's the same, and I said : try to tell an Irish that they're the same as the UK! Anyway, there was nothing to do. They read some T&C that obviously only them can see which list Great Britain, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Hmm that's annoying. :/ I wish they would post country specific information on their website so it's clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

It can be hard to find the right information about this. We had a family member that wanted to bring a cat to Ireland from Spain and the only straight answer was from calling aerlingus and they told them unless it was a special needs pet, it wasn't flying and only in the hold, the charge would be in the hundreds for pressuring and heating the hold. No pets in cabin, due to airborne urine, phesces circulating throughout the air conditionig recirculation.

Now this is all third party information, so I'd ring them and demand for a direct answer and in writing.

Like you I did read Lufthansa provides this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

sandypas76 wrote: »
    <snip>Anyway, there was nothing to do. They read some T&C that obviously only them can see which list Great Britain, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
    indeed, Ireland and the UK are often bundled together because they share the same land border often coordinate on various health and travel policies, like transportation of pets.

anyhow, heres an up to date list of all airlines which fly from Germany (so good example of schengen / continental europe) and which airlines allow what. (in german, google will translate it for you, or just search for "irland")
    https://www.skyscanner.de/nachrichten/fliegen-mit-haustieren

no mention of Lufthansa banning animals to ireland, whereas there is on other airlines.
    Lufthansa have a landline number in frankfurt to deal with booking animals on planes +49 (0)69 - 86 799 799 . Maybe give it a ring and see what they say. Anyone you ring in ireland is likely only an external agent who may also deal with other airlines who do ban animals and may be getting confused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Out of curiosity is there a reason why the cat can't go into the hold?
    I was always under the assumption that any animal flying would have to go in the hold with the exception of guide dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

siobhan08 wrote: »
    I was always under the assumption that any animal flying would have to go in the hold with the exception of guide dogs

I travelled with my cat in the USA and was able to check him into the cabin, with a soft carrier that fit under the seat. The vet advised me not to put him in the hold as it freaks them out.

Maybe give it a ring and see what they say. Anyone you ring in ireland is likely only an external agent who may also deal with other airlines who do ban animals and may be getting confused.

Not sure if it makes a difference but the initial calls I made were to the customer services of KLM and Lufthansa in Italy, not in Ireland.
    The first time I called KLM, the girl asked me where I d be flying to as not all countries allow pets to come in by air.
    I believed that she understood me right when I said Rome to Dublin. Im wondering now if she understood Berlin. Anyway, I rang a second time to get further information, then a third time. I'm not sure they checked thoroughly then or just listened to my general questions.
    It was only when I rang to make a reservation for my cat that the agent stopped me.
    I was annoyed obviously.
    The next day (yesterday morning) I rang KLM again pretended I knew nothing and just asked if I could fly with my cat in the cabin from Rome to Dublin, and she said no, it's not possible on flights to the UK and Ireland.
    At this stage, even if I rang again and found an agent that would actually process a booking for me, I'd be worried that they messed me up and end up booking a flight for myself for nothing, and as I said risk of going to the airport with my cat and be refused the cat on board.

Lufthansa tickets are way too expensive so I don't know if I'd fly with them anyway. That's another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

as I said for Lufthansa, It would apply to other airlines.
    When you ring a hotline in a country other than the home country of the airline, then you're liable to be talking to an agency or travel agent who have a booking system in front of them but wouldn't know the finer details of what's allowed and what isn't allowed.
    Ringing a special animal booking hotline in the airlines home country, so somewhere in Holland for klm or frankfurt for Lufthansa, is probably the only proper source of accurate information.
    When i need info on matters from Aer lingus I don't ring the clueless agents in my local munich airport but ring the airline directly at their hq in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

siobhan08 wrote: »

Kinda surprised at that always thought animals would be carried in the hold and given sedatives to keep them calm if needs be and only guide dogs were allowed in the cabin especially with the potential that other passengers maybe allergic to the animal.

The OP might find this useful. Might give them other options http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-with-pets-which-airlines-will-take-my-dog-or-cat-on-board-34481377.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

OP, the best place to ask this question is the aviation and aircraft forum on this site. There's airline pilots in there that could guide you without revealing themselves on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭blueredface

Hi there,

I'm travelling to London by Ryanair from Dublin and just wondering if I can carry Tower Fan (packed) and Laptop replacement Screen (in card box) on way back to Dublin.

Could you please share if anyone of you have done it without any hassle as long as these items fits into overhead cabin?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Hi there,

I'm travelling to London by Ryanair from Dublin and just wondering if I can carry Tower Fan (packed) and Laptop replacement Screen (in card box) on way back to Dublin.

Could you please share if anyone of you have done it without any hassle as long as these items fits into overhead cabin?

Thanks.

If it fits the dimensions of a carry on bag and they can both go in the same bag then Yes.
    You may be able to go through security with them but Ryanair could make you pay extra baggage, as its clear you havent bought them in the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

So long as they fit into ONE cabin bag case it should be ok.

WARNING: counter to popular belief cabin baggage is not necessiarily carried in the aircraft cabin. On busy flight a large portion of hand luggage is placed in the hold due to space restrictions in the cabin. If you are condemned about damage to the above mentioned items, and wish to avoid them going in the hold then I strongly recommend you book Priorty boarding and be at the gate early. This will guarantee your case gets a space in the cabin and not the hold. This is provided you comply with the required dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deirdre41

Just wondering if u could bring a small back pack (instead of a handbag) as well as a small suitease with Aer Lingus. The backpack would fit under the seat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

deirdre41 wrote: »
    Just wondering if u could bring a small back pack (instead of a handbag) as well as a small suitease with Aer Lingus. The backpack would fit under the seat

Yes, if it fits fully under the seat it will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

deirdre41 wrote: »

You should be ok, they may take your suitcase and check it into the hold but there is no charge.

You won't have a problem leaving Ireland.

It is their contractors abroad that will cause you problems. The ones in Heathrow can be right little terrors at times. Petty for the sake of being petty.

That's the difference between employing you're own staff to look after your passengers and employing an agency, and giving them a set of instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

hi all.. I'm travelling to Portugal on Saturday with Ryanair. Does anybody know if the carry-on size limits for the second smaller bag apply to a baby's changing bag?
    Its only slightly over but I don't want to risk it if they are strictly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

A baby doesn't get a luggage allowance (checked or carry-on) but is allowed a changing bag of up to 5kg. Ryanair don't seem to stipulate a size for this.

Any time we travelled with Ryanair with a baby, they never looked twice at the size of our changing bag and it was certainly bigger than their limits for the second bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

How strictly Ryanair impose baggage restrictions can be difficult to predict. I fly with them a fair bit, and I almost always carry a bag quite a bit larger than what is specified as carry on size, and have never had a problem, but have seen others on the same flight pulled up on it. A lot seems to depend on how full and how far the flight is - on short flights that have a few empty seats they usually ignore all bags, on longer flights or very full flights they will make you check a bag that's oversize. A hint to avoid trouble is to be one of the last to board - I've noticed that they only check bag sizes on the first half of the queue to board, presumably because after that there will be enough room in the overhead bins for all the carry on that's left. I've also noticed that they tend to check holdall-type bags more than backpacks - so I always carry a backpack, and keep it on my back during boarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Many thanks to you both for your replies. I can't find anything on their website about baby bag size, just that it has a weight limit of 5kg. it'll be nowhere near that weight and will only be three quarters full so I might chance it as it can be squished under a seat if it needs to. 😉

Advertisement