Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Gravelly wrote: »
    How strictly Ryanair impose baggage restrictions can be difficult to predict. I fly with them a fair bit, and I almost always carry a bag quite a bit larger than what is specified as carry on size, and have never had a problem, but have seen others on the same flight pulled up on it. A lot seems to depend on how full and how far the flight is - on short flights that have a few empty seats they usually ignore all bags, on longer flights or very full flights they will make you check a bag that's oversize. A hint to avoid trouble is to be one of the last to board - I've noticed that they only check bag sizes on the first half of the queue to board, presumably because after that there will be enough room in the overhead bins for all the carry on that's left. I've also noticed that they tend to check holdall-type bags more than backpacks - so I always carry a backpack, and keep it on my back during boarding.
    Official policy is, on full or busy flight the first 90 passengers, who have compliant luggage are allowed board with luggage, the remainder of pax will have their larger bag or wheelie case tagged and placed into the hold, the capacity of the overhead lockers is approximately 90 wheelie cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

I know there is a ban bringing laptops into the cabin on many airlines departing from UK/US

Is this the same from dublin? would i have to put the laptop in checked baggage on turkish airline.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

gustafo wrote: »
    I know there is a ban bringing laptops into the cabin on many airlines departing from UK/US

Is this the same from dublin? would i have to put the laptop in checked baggage on turkish airline.

Cheers.

Not from Dublin no. If you are connecting to the US from IST you would need to at the gate in Istanbul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Not from Dublin no. If you are connecting to the US from IST you would need to at the gate in Istanbul.

i'll be travelling to bangkok via istanbul

oh that's good so i'll be able to take laptop into the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

gustafo wrote: »

Not 'departing from', the ban applies to passengers flying into the UK and the US from certain airports.

For security questions, I would always check the airline's website for the most up to date advice, you don't know who is providing answers here (that applies to me and every other poster on boards) and whether we have the absolute up to the minute information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Flying at the end of the month with a 6 month old. Did not purchase a checked in bag at the time off booking so no longer able to get the 50% discount if I read the FAQ right. Can anyone tell me how the airport is about baby milk powder as its not a liquid - and baby food pouches that are sealed. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

I'm just back from travelling with a baby. I brought baby formula powder on board and there was no problem. it was an unopened sealed tub but they didn't even check it. not sure about the pouches but I'd imagine they'd be fine.

In response to my own question about the baby's changing bag. I contacted both airlines before we travelled. Ryanair & Airlingus. They both allow the larger size dimensions for a carry on case but the weight limit is 5kg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

A friend of mine often goes to the Ryanair checkin and asks if he can volunteer off his carryon into the hold that he's not in a rush. He usually does it when he is trying to bring back alcohol he has purchased outside of Duty free at lower prices. Haven't tried it myself but it is a novel idea to avoid dragging your bag around with you and into the plane.

Doltanian wrote: »
    A friend of mine often goes to the Ryanair checkin and asks if he can volunteer off his carryon into the hold that he's not in a rush. He usually does it when he is trying to bring back alcohol he has purchased outside of Duty free at lower prices. Haven't tried it myself but it is a novel idea to avoid dragging your bag around with you and into the plane.
    My mum does this on Aer Lingus too, she loves it! It makes going through security so much faster and easier and you feel so free when you're shopping/eating before your flight. It also removes all the stress from boarding, you can stroll on at your leisure, no worries about stowage space etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi, we're flying with Aer Lingus this weekend and my partner was going to carry enough of his medication (to last 10days) in his carry on bag cos he's worried if his suitcase went missing he would be without vital meds.
    Certain ones are vitally important.

Is there a problem carrying this amount of meds in his carry on bag? We're talking about 180 tablets (no liquids).
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Mother in law does it all the time. Shouldn't be a problem as no liquids involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

fdevine wrote: »
    Mother in law does it all the time. Shouldn't be a problem as no liquids involved.

Brilliant thank you. He also has a list of his medical problems and the medication signed by his GP incase he's queried.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

I'm off to Lanzarote with the family soon but have not purchased checked in bags yet.
    Does anyone know if I buy a bag can I get a child's bag at half price at this stage or was this only available on booking.
    I booked back in December so never crossed my mind then.

airbusa320 wrote: »
    I'm off to Lanzarote with the family soon but have not purchased checked in bags yet.
    Does anyone know if I buy a bag can I get a child's bag at half price at this stage or was this only available on booking.
    I booked back in December so never crossed my mind then.

The best bet is to probably log into manage my booking, and see the prices when you go to add bags

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Fairly sure they did away with half price bags for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

stimpson wrote: »
    Fairly sure they did away with half price bags for kids.
    They did and in any event, it was only ever available at time of booking.

Baggage to the Canaries is NOT cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Only available at time of booking just checked my booking. It pops up when you try price another trip.
    140 euro for a 2okg return. is certainly not cheap

airbusa320 wrote: »
    Only available at time of booking just checked my booking. It pops up when you try price another trip.
    140 euro for a 2okg return. is certainly not cheap

No it's not cheap at all, airlines frequently take hand luggage cases at check in for free( to alleviate the demand for space in the lockers on busy flights) if you think you're child can survive on what can be packed into a hand luggage case then it may be worth trying this as opposed to ridiculous extra bag charges. My often drops her hand luggage off at the check in desk where it's carried for free. But hand luggage dimensions and and weight still apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Been a good few years since i travelled with them. Whats the story with cabin baggage? can you bring on a small 'second' bag like you can with ryanair? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Tweeted the airport by no reply yet.
    Any idea if a bar of soap or make up wipes have to go into the transparent bag with liquids?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Any idea if a bar of soap or make up wipes have to go into the transparent bag with liquids?

I've never put wipes in the transparent bag

This will answer your question, are they liquid? ...

Locker10a wrote: »
    This will answer your question, are they liquid? ...
    I know. No they're not but the wipes are wet. I never brought either with me so I want to make sure, it's a waste if they're thrown out
    Dovies wrote: »
    I've never put wipes in the transparent bag
    Thanks Dovies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I know. No they're not but the wipes are wet. I never brought either with me so I want to make sure, it's a waste if they're thrown out

No you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Always take both wipes and bar soap with me in my hand luggage - also bar suncream and insect repellent that I make myself - never put them in the bag and never had a problem.

Thanks for the reply, I'd a person in Dublin airport empty my clear bag for putting in mascara and eyeliner into it and made a show of me, so I get wary bringing new stuff. Even though Standsted said it was uncalled for and I was right to put them in.
    RoYoBo wrote: »
    also bar suncream and insect repellent that I make myself.
    A bar of sun cream? How do you do that? I know it's off topic but that fierce handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

A bar of sun cream? How do you do that? I know it's off topic but that fierce handy

I make it with coconut oil, beeswax and zinc oxide powder in bun papers. There's lots of recipes on the net. It really is very handy and no nasty chemicals. Similar for the anti-bug bars but with citronella, lavender etc in the bars.

Advertisement