Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Thanks for the reply, I'd a person in Dublin airport empty my clear bag for putting in mascara and eyeliner into it and made a show of me, so I get wary bringing new stuff. Even though Standsted said it was uncalled for and I was right to put them in.
    RoYoBo wrote: »
    also bar suncream and insect repellent that I make myself.
    A bar of sun cream? How do you do that? I know it's off topic but that fierce handy

Airport security can be hit and miss, I've often brought bottles of water through security, totally by accident as I totally forgot, but wasn't noticed and I go it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Can anyone recommend a carry on bag for Ryanair 55 * 40 * 20cm that will also hold a laptop securely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Omeceron wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a carry on bag for Ryanair 55 * 40 * 20cm that will also hold a laptop securely?
    I got something from the Cabin Max range. My one (no longer sold on Amazon) has several padded pockets and it works very well with a laptop. They have several models sized 55*40*20.

I'd personally go for the option of having a good laptop case/bag that you could bring on as your under seat item. As these days carry-on bags often actually end up in the hold. And you don't want your lap top going there ideally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Locker10a wrote: »

I'd personally go for the option of having a good laptop case/bag that you could bring on as your under seat item. As these days carry-on bags often actually end up in the hold. And you don't want your lap top going there ideally.
    Get priority boarding and you guarantee to keep your bag with you, plus you guarantee you can put it directly overhead instead of six rows down.

• Advertisement

Louche Lad wrote: »

Get priority boarding and you guarantee to keep your bag with you, plus you guarantee you can put it directly overhead instead of six rows down.
    There are two issues I have with this, one is it's an extra charge every time, and secondly priority boarding now seems to be called about a week before actually boarding commences, and you just end up standing in a que for what feels like eternity....drives me mad! My preference now is to sit down and let the masses board, I'm happy to be among the last to board and happy to have my bag carried for me in the hold, provided im not in a rush the other end etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

My preference now is to sit down and let the masses board, I'm happy to be among the last to board and happy to have my bag carried for me in the hold, provided im not in a rush the other end etc.

This! I can read a chapter or two on my Kindle in comfort on a seat while everyone scrabbles to stand in the queue. What's the point? Your allocated seat isn't going anywhere and I'm perfectly happy to put my hand luggage in the hold. I actually plan for this by removing anything of value and retaining it in the bag for under the seat.

Once the plane has landed, I'm out and away almost as quick as those forced to go against the flow while searching for the overhead bin where their bag found room, or was moved to by the cabin crew.

And don't get me started on those people who simply must retrieve something from their case in the overhead bin as soon as the seat belt light goes off ... especially when it's been put somewhere else and they can't find where it is!

In mid-flight a couple of weeks ago, a woman went up and down the row of seats around me, opening and closing several bins, rummaging around and getting rattier by the minute. I couldn't understand why she kept giving me the stinkeye, until she called the attendant and complained that I must have moved as she definitely put her bag in the bin above me and it was gone now!

The attendant found it, exactly where she put it and, yes, it was in the bin above me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Hi Guys, just a quick question, I'm in Portugal at the moment, but when I fly home I am flying via east midlands airport, then on to Dublin later the same day, if I buy tobacco in Faro airport will I be able to bring in through East Mids Airport security when I go to board my connecting flight? I don't have any space in my checked in suitcase :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82,593 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes no issue. Security in Faro may check as you leave that tax stamps are Portugal and not Gibraltar, other than that no problem. Have receipts if you are bringing lots back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Yes no issue. Security in Faro may check as you leave that tax stamps are Portugal and not Gibraltar, other than that no problem. Have receipts if you are bringing lots back.

Thanks, I'm only buying a kilo but I was a little worried as, even though I'm flying between EU countries and duty will be paid at faro airport I wasn't sure EMA security would stop me taking it from there to Ireland. I usually fly direct to Dublin but it was almost 300 euro cheaper this way, just didn't think about the rules regarding tobacco through another airport lol Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

It's not always straightforward. Lipstick is not liquid but is has to go in the clear bag.

Is tobacco a liquid? Well there's your answer.

I think they were more worried about transporting stuff that may break customs rule etc rather than security itself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sounds like a silly question but was there a rule where an electronic device had to be capable of being turned on to prove it was working?

Going to Nice on sat with Aer Lingus and we're bringing a new Ipod Touch (unopened package) for my daughter who celebrates her birthday next week. Can I take it as carry on or put it in the hold luggage. Not pushed on that as I had my camera pinched from my suitcase a few years ago.

Thanks.

M

You can bring it as carry on or hold luggage. If you are bringing it as carry on it will need to be scanned seperately from whatever bag it's in like any laptop or tablet etc, they will likely insist on it coming out of its packaging too. I wouldn't put an item of that value in the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They never even checked!! I had it in my carry on bag. Got swabbed though...clean as a whistle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hi I know this thread is two years old I couldn't find a newer one.

I tried Aer Lingus on social media and by email for them to confirm Power Banks can be brought on board with carry on luggage but they haven't replied can anyone tell if it's still good to carry them on I have a Anker PowerCore 20100 I want to bring with me to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cheers Fred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

powerbomb_portable_power_bank_looks_like_a_hand_grenade_1.jpg

They had an issue with my 13000 miliamp Powerbank :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

I am traveling to belgium tomorrow and will only have a carry on bag.can i pack protein bars or protein powder in the bag?..is there a limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No limit, nobody cares about non-liquid food.

Unless you're flying to the US in which case there are issues with certain types of fruit and meat - US Dept of Ag. regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Hi All,

Anyone know if it is possible to bring a suitbag as your 2nd bag with Ryanair. It looks like it might be slightly outside the dimensions they give for the 2nd bag but I was wondering if anyone might have any 1st hand experience with it, or am I as well off to try and fit it in to the carry on?

Thanks

Provided it's not massively bulky it should be fine, you can places it flat on top on cases in the overhead locker. If you're worried about staff being strict you can always offer your case to be gate checked, I find this is usually appreciated and then I'm sure you'll have no issues. Also not having to carry both items onboard will make it easier for you to organise yourself onboard and find a place you can stow to minimise creases etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

@Locker10a: That's a great Idea hadn't thought of the gate checking option. Thanks a lot. I think I will try that and see how I get on and offer to gate check if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

testtech05 wrote: »
    @Locker10a: That's a great Idea hadn't thought of the gate checking option. Thanks a lot. I think I will try that and see how I get on and offer to gate check if needed.

Or just wear the suit? Best way to carry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Does anyone know if you can bring a suit on a hanger as an extra piece of cary on luggage on an Aer Lingus flight to the US? Do they have a small wardrobe in the cabin to hang it?

Pretty sure I did it before, but it was a while ago and not sure how things are nowadays.

M

Last time I went a couple of years ago there was no problem bringing it on but you will need to find an overhead locker with decent space so it doesn't get mauled by other baggage going in on top of it.

I've carried suits before in suit bags in my hold luggage and they were grand at the other end, possibly think about that as an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Last time I went a couple of years ago there was no problem bringing it on but you will need to find an overhead locker with decent space so it doesn't get mauled by other baggage going in on top of it.

I've carried suits before in suit bags in my hold luggage and they were grand at the other end, possibly think about that as an option.

Cheers, I'll think of the suitcase but I was reluctant as I'm attending a wedding there and a bit afraid of showing up in a messed-up suit :-)

Actually maybe it was another airline but I am positive I once had a suit put in a dedicated wardrobe on a flight from Dublin to the US.

Advertisement