Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is a wardrobe for business class on Aer Lingus

Normally the overhead bins are very lightly loaded as everyone gets free checked bag plus the centre bin are huge so should be able to place over any bags loaded

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi guys,

I'll be flying out of Dublin early Friday morning to the UK and will ideally need to bring a suit bag to carry a suit as well as a small school bag type bag.

Just wondering if it's allowable or if I'll get any hassle in doing so?

If it's an issue I will just wear it instead, but would prefer not to if possible.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

No hassle. Every time I fly with aer lingus I always have my carryon rucksack and my laptop bag. Never an issue. In terms of where to store it - the staff are very approachable but worst case you could lie it down in the overhead bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/only-one-small-bag-to-be-permitted-on-ryanair-flights-1.3211138

From Irish Times.

This seems to mean that from Nov 1st you can only bring Handbag/Laptop Bag on Board unless you have Priority Boarding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

SusanC10 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/only-one-small-bag-to-be-permitted-on-ryanair-flights-1.3211138

From Irish Times.

This seems to mean that from Nov 1st you can only bring Handbag/Laptop Bag on Board unless you have Priority Boarding.

It was getting a bit out of hand in fairness. However, I wish they'd allow a bag drop for the small cases before security instead of at the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

I remember a time when O'leary was adamant that he was going to eliminate check in baggage and hence the high prices he charged for it

..... now he wants us to put baggage in the hold!!!

We will shortly be running 3rd level courses on how to keep up with Ryanair charges.... becoming a minefield!

What he needs is to get a grip of the size of cabin baggaes getting through... I've seen some monster of cases taking over whole locker space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Will people have to pay at the Gate for the Larger Bag to be put in the Hold ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Will people have to pay at the Gate for the Larger Bag to be put in the Hold ?

No it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

gizmo81 wrote: »
    It was getting a bit out of hand in fairness. However, I wish they'd allow a bag drop for the small cases before security instead of at the gate.

They do!
    It can be done online for €5 per bag(if memory serves on the cost). They can be checked in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Masala wrote:
    I remember a time when O'leary was adamant that he was going to eliminate check in baggage and hence the high prices he charged for it

Masala wrote:
    ..... now he wants us to put baggage in the hold!!!

In fairness airplanes can only accommodate so much carry on luggage so it was doomed for the start. And people abuse carry on policies anyway. Look at Aer Lingus!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

The relevant bit is
    "All other (i.e. non-priority) customers will only be allowed to bring one smaller carry-on bag on board the aircraft, while their second (bigger) wheelie bag must be placed in the hold (free of charge) at the boarding gate."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

They do!
    It can be done online for €5 per bag(if memory serves on the cost). They can be checked in.

Oh cool thanks, I wasn't aware, pity it's not free but I presume they have to pay to get it through the airport.

I'll will avail of it in future though when I have a wheelie case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This is just to try and get more people to pay up for priority and have their seats pre-booked.
    I would say that the delay issues boarding are not to do with staff having to manage cases from boarding gate to the plane, because that will still continue, but more to do with the chaos in the cabin with groups and families trying to work out who can sit where because their seats are scattered all over the place due to R.A.'s random seating allocation system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rotary939

Reference to a non-priority passenger having to put the 'bigger' bag in the hold. What if the non-priority passenger only has one normal bag? Whats your thoughts on if they'll be allowed that bag into the cabin as usual or will that 'normal' (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) bag have to go into the hold? Its a little ambiguous as I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

You could see this happening, I use Ryanair regularly and lately the amount of chancers filling up the overhead lockers with all sorts of **** has been unbelievable.

Now the anti ryanair possy will ride into town to fill the space where their anti water and bin charges rants have dried up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Rotary939 wrote: »
    Reference to a non-priority passenger having to put the 'bigger' bag in the hold. What if the non-priority passenger only has one normal bag? Whats your thoughts on if they'll be allowed that bag into the cabin as usual or will that 'normal' (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) bag have to go into the hold?

It will have to go into the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Bastards! I booked flights in November and paid extra for a 20kg bag. I won't get a refund

It's going to be messy for Gate Staff/ airport staff. It's in effect another checkin procedure ... imagine having to tag 100 bags at the gate. It will surely slow down the boarding??

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Skyfloater wrote: »
    The relevant bit is
    "All other (i.e. non-priority) customers will only be allowed to bring one smaller carry-on bag on board the aircraft, while their second (bigger) wheelie bag must be placed in the hold (free of charge) at the boarding gate."

And soon not to be free of charge.
    It's just a pathway to higher baggage charges.

• Advertisement

People will dog-it and bring their main bag to the gate trying to get it on for free!!

They will still have the problem of people taking off the tags as they cross the ramp and carrying it on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

K.Flyer wrote: »
    This is just to try and get more people to pay up for priority and have their seats pre-booked.
    I would say that the delay issues boarding are not to do with staff having to manage cases from boarding gate to the plane, because that will still continue, but more to do with the chaos in the cabin with groups and families trying to work out who can sit where because their seats are scattered all over the place due to R.A.'s random seating allocation system.

Couldn't agree more with the above.

All excuses to justify a very complex service/fee structure designed to force everyone to pay for "priority" boarding if they want to avail of basic services any airline offers such as seating next to travel companions when possible and bringing in a reasonably sized bag into the cabin.

And once everyone starts paying for "priority" because it is the only way to get those basic services ... priority will only be the name of an extra item in the fee structure because once you incentivise most customer to pay for that service they all end up in the same queue again and there is nothing priority about it anymore.

Tayschren wrote: »
    You could see this happening, I use Ryanair regularly and lately the amount of chancers filling up the overhead lockers with all sorts of **** has been unbelievable.

If the issue was just abuse, the easy answer was to actually enforce their policy. Not to restrict carry-on allowance more than any other airline I have used in Europe (which are all managing OK with much more generous allowances).

Not saying there aren't any abusers, but Ryanair's capacity to convince some people that every time it takes as step to reduce service it is because it is a victim of bad and naughty customers is kind of funny. They must have very bad luck for being the only airline in this situation. Or could it be related to the way the manage their business?

Masala wrote: »
    It's going to be messy for Gate Staff/ airport staff. It's in effect another checkin procedure ... imagine having to tag 100 bags at the gate. It will surely slow down the boarding??

I suspect they will only do it whenever they have enough time and get the chance or when they foresee the overhead bins will be overloaded.

Basically let priority passengers in first. And then if it's a busy day and there is space left in the cabin just let other passenger get away with taking in their bags to speed-up boarding. But if they have some time or the bins look full, start stopping some of them.

Basically what they are doing already, but only targeting non-priority customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Surely airports can see a false econonmy coming into play here too with extra security screening of all this carry thru bags.

I'm guessing its Ryanairs way to save airport charges for baggage handling?

Noticed it this summer in particular, some many people with the full alloaction of carry on cases and most taken off them at the gate! Security was bedlam too, with slow Q's as all these bags have to be screened. Is it causing a slow down, I think it is. Perhaps a higher charge from the airports for the carry thru cabin bags and less for the thru the holds?

Also noticed alot of oversized cabin bags and no once using the sizers to nail them !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I knew this would happen.

3 times this year on Ryanair flights I have been frustrated watching people come on board, and put their bag overhead, and then their second smaller bag ALSO over head. Oh and don't forget about the coat going up there too.

The system worked as long as people actually put the second bag under the seat in front of them. My observation was most did not do this, and the minority followed and put the bag and coat under the seat.

whether it was lack of clear direction, or just ignorance, it ruined what as a great service to bring a second bag on for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

The net effect of this is, are you willing to pay an extra €5 so as not to have to wait around the baggage carousel at the other end? I'm guessing a lot of people will say yes, which makes this nonsense about it costing them €50 million the more galling.

BobMc wrote: »
    Surely airports can see a false econonmy coming into play here too with extra security screening of all this carry thru bags.

I'm guessing its Ryanairs way to save airport charges for baggage handling?

Noticed it this summer in particular, some many people with the full alloaction of carry on cases and most taken off them at the gate! Security was bedlam too, with slow Q's as all these bags have to be screened. Is it causing a slow down, I think it is. Perhaps a higher charge from the airports for the carry thru cabin bags and less for the thru the holds?

Also noticed alot of oversized cabin bags and no once using the sizers to nail them !

I don't think any airport has a 'bag charge' ??? MOL started this rumour years ago and I don't think it ever existed. Airport charges are usually levelled per persona sand / or per aircraft movement. The per passenger could be both per departing and / or per security.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It makes sense. If you dont have priority then you can only bring on a bag that fits under the seat in front of you. If there is no room in the overhead then you stick it under the seat. There is no more walking up and down the plane looking for space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Had to be done... travelled end of August from France (Aer Lingus) and some people just dont care, oversize / out of shape carry on bags galore .... delays for everyone. I think no matter what the rules are you always have those who seem to not know whats going on or at least pretend they dont and chance it.

Advertisement