Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

flexcon wrote: »
    I knew this would happen.

3 times this year on Ryanair flights I have been frustrated watching people come on board, and put their bag overhead, and then their second smaller bag ALSO over head. Oh and don't forget about the coat going up there too.

The system worked as long as people actually put the second bag under the seat in front of them. My observation was most did not do this, and the minority followed and put the bag and coat under the seat.

whether it was lack of clear direction, or just ignorance, it ruined what as a great service to bring a second bag on for free.

It's just human nature..... give an inch and people take a mile. Same for people parking on yellow lines/ loading bays. There is just a badness in some people... Rant over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Deub

I would love to see their calculations for the 50millions loss they talk about. I have a feeling that they took the baggage rate per passenger from this year and applied the new lower price knowing full well that there will be more check in luggages if the price is lower.
    It is nice PR stuff: Look how we lose money so you have a better experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

So for €5 .... you get Priority plus 2 bags?? Do u also get to pick your preferred seats as well within this €5?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

flexcon wrote: »
    I knew this would happen.

3 times this year on Ryanair flights I have been frustrated watching people come on board, and put their bag overhead, and then their second smaller bag ALSO over head. Oh and don't forget about the coat going up there too.

The system worked as long as people actually put the second bag under the seat in front of them. My observation was most did not do this, and the minority followed and put the bag and coat under the seat.

whether it was lack of clear direction, or just ignorance, it ruined what as a great service to bring a second bag on for free.

I have seen some abusers as well. But if the issue was people putting their second small bag in the overhead bin, would the answer not have been to restrict carry-on to strictly one item? (Rather than restricting it to strictly one *small* item)

It think full bins are more caused by the fact they check-in prices are very high and people will consequently bring as muc luggage into the cabin as possible whereas with other airlines they might have checked-in some of it.

Deub wrote: »
    I would love to see their calculations for the 50millions loss they talk about. I have a feeling that they took the baggage rate per passenger from this year and applied the new lower price knowing full well that there will be more check in luggages if the price is lower.
    It is nice PR stuff: Look how we lose money so you have a better experience...

Most likely, what you describe is indeed their calculation for PR purposes. Internally they probably have another calculation taking into account how many additional passengers they think will pay for priority boarding in order to be sure they can keep their carry-on with them in the cabin, and they must expect this will bring in more revenue than they will lose on luggage check-in fees.

Can't blame them for doing this, they are a business trying to make more money and using marketing strategies. But we don't have to fall for it either :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

Jrop wrote: »
    Bastards! I booked flights in November and paid extra for a 20kg bag. I won't get a refund
    its only cabin luggage that gets put in for free and that has to be the correct size and no more than 10kg, if you are over the 10kg allowance they will charge you extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

This really isn't much of a change from what actually happens regularly anyway.

Cabin/overhead bin capacity is 90 bags. I will always anticipate having my carry-on diverted to the hold at boarding.

Fact remains that, regardess of whether you decide to pay for priority boarding or not, if you aren't in the first 90 on board your larger bag is likely to be diverted to the hold.

It was hinted at months ago that if people continued to take the p1ss with allowances, as many do, then policies would be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

K.Flyer wrote: »
    This is just to try and get more people to pay up for priority and have their seats pre-booked.
    I would say that the delay issues boarding are not to do with staff having to manage cases from boarding gate to the plane, because that will still continue, but more to do with the chaos in the cabin with groups and families trying to work out who can sit where because their seats are scattered all over the place due to R.A.'s random seating allocation system.
    This is pretty simple though - you have a seat on your boarding pass, sit in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Happy to see this. I'm sick and tired of people taking the p1ss because they are too cheap to put the bag in the hold. Then giving you dirty looks when you try to put your (correctly sized) hand luggage in the bins above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Happy to see this. I'm sick and tired of people taking the p1ss because they are too cheap to put the bag in the hold. Then giving you dirty looks when you try to put your (correctly sized) hand luggage in the bins above.

Or the ones who take up a bin with their jackets. Eh, NO!

• Advertisement

fdevine wrote: »

Fact remains that, regardess of whether you decide to pay for priority boarding or not, if you aren't in the first 90 on board your larger bag is likely to be diverted to the hold.

Actually this particular point will be yet another source of passenger frustration.

Before the new policy Ryanair made no mention of garenteeingn you can keep your bag in the cabin. And no one paid for it so no one had anything to complain about.

In their new world, they say that "Only Priority Boarding customers (including Plus, Flexi Plus & Family Plus) will be allowed to bring two carry-on bags on the aircraft".

So in effect they are telling customers that they need to pay 5 euros if they want to keep their larger carry-on into the cabin.

They don't mention it in the press release, but as you say, if the bins are fully they will have to put bags into the hold anyway even for people who paid for priority. So effectively you will have passengers who paid for priority specifically to keep their bag in the cabin (as suggested by Ryanair's website which says it will allow them to keep it), and will be refused the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It's still confusing... here's what i get so far:

Regular Passenger
    Carry-on: 1 small bag (size?)
    Check-in: One Wheely case (size not limited) 20kg

Additional Check-in: One Wheely case (size not limited) 20kg +€25

Priority Passenger +€5
    Carry-on: One Wheely case (size?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It's still confusing... here's what i get so far:

Regular Passenger

Priority Passenger +€5
    Carry-on: One Wheely case (size?)

No.

Regular passenger: one small bag in the cabin, one trolly bag under 10kg in the hold, for free.
    Checked bag up to 20kg costs 25euro or whatever.

Priority: small bag and trolly bag in the cabin, checked bag under 20kg still costs 25euro but you get priority boarding and probably get a better seat.

They aren't changing their allowance at all, your trolly bag just has to go into the hold, for free, if you don't have priority boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

One important thing to remember , is as there is a high likelihood , of cabin bag going in the hold, remove any valuables , items of importance beforehand

Regular Passenger
    Check-in: One Wheely case (size not limited) 10kg

Priority Passenger +€5 includes priority boarding and seating
    Carry-on: One Wheely case (size not limited) 10kg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

k123456 wrote: »
    One important thing to remember , is as there is a high likelihood , of cabin bag going in the hold, remove any valuables , items of importance beforehand

That, is excellent, advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Regular Passenger
    Check-in: One Wheely case (size not limited) 10kg

Priority Passenger +€5 includes priority boarding and seating
    Carry-on: One Wheely case (size not limited) 10kg

No. Where are you getting this crap from? It's EXACTLY the same as before only that the larger of your two free bags goes in the hold if you don't have priority boarding.

Small bag of not more than 35x20x20cm
    Trolly case of not more than 55x40x20cm and 10kg, if you're priority it comes into the cabin with you, if not it goes in the hold.

You still have to pay for a checked bag,but now it only costs €25 and can be up to 20kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Could easily solve this problem by allowing checked luggage free Instead of €50 per round trip. No wonder see people fit their stuff into carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Can't really see what the big deal is. Anytime I've travelled with them my bigger carry on gets put in the hold. Means I don't have to lug it on and off the plane so I don't mind. My smaller bag stays with me and goes under my seat, it has all the stuff I need for the plane so it's better to have it with my rather than overhead. If I want another bag I buy it as an add on. If I want my carry on in the cabin I buy priority. I actually can't understand the fuss at all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Nice of them to change the rules after I've booked. No getting straight to a taxi now with the bag which was accepted as cabin baggage at the time of booking - I'll have to wait on it instead.

• Advertisement

No. Where are you getting this crap from? It's EXACTLY the same as before
    Don't be over the top... I'm looking for clarity, of which there is none. Your rude behaviour is not welcome... there is no statement to say that the baggage sizes remain the same as before.
    Small bag of not more than 35x20x20cm
    Trolly case of not more than 55x40x20cm and 10kg, if you're priority it comes into the cabin with you, if not it goes in the hold.
    It does not say this explicitly anywhere, nor does it attempt to clarify...

The current unusual case size they have been explicitly specified because of overhead storage sizes... if this is no longer a limitation, they should have no trouble accommodating industry standard case sizes. While your assumption could possibly be correct, it has no basis in fact (yet). If a rational view of the matter was applied, the 10kg weight limitation would be the overriding factor...

Please try not to get too worked up about bagage sizes... there are other more interseting reasons to insult people on the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Don't be over the top... I'm looking for clarity, of which there is none. Your rude behaviour is not welcome... there is no statement to say that the baggage sizes remain the same as before.

The current unusual case size they have been explicitly specified because of overhead storage sizes... if this is no longer a limitation, they should have no trouble accommodating industry standard case sizes. While your assumption could possibly be correct, it has no basis in fact (yet). If a rational view of the matter was applied, the 10kg weight limitation would be the overriding factor...

Please try not to get too worked up about bagage sizes... there are other more interseting reasons to insult people on the internet...

Did you read the ryanair release and their FAQ?

Its mentioned there.

Q3. Will customers still be able to take 2 pieces of cabin baggage on board?

Yes for Priority Boarding customers who will still be able to bring 2 bags, 1 normal (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) and 1 small (35cm x 20cm x 20cm) into the cabin.
    No for non-priority customers who will put their bigger (wheelie) cabin bag in the hold (free of charge), and will be able to take their smaller bag into the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Yes it does :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

dizzyn wrote: »
    Can't really see what the big deal is. Anytime I've travelled with them my bigger carry on gets put in the hold. Means I don't have to lug it on and off the plane so I don't mind. My smaller bag stays with me and goes under my seat, it has all the stuff I need for the plane so it's better to have it with my rather than overhead. If I want another bag I buy it as an add on. If I want my carry on in the cabin I buy priority. I actually can't understand the fuss at all! :D

Agree 100%. It's no big deal. For me and/or family it's exactly the same as any other time I/we've flown with Ryanair. In fact, it'll even save us money if we check in a bag. No plans to pay for priority boarding as if there's something valuable or something I need it goes in the small bag.

Plus, due to the usual distance from gate to baggage hall, luggage is usually on the belt before passengers get there or if not then very soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Q3. Will customers still be able to take 2 pieces of cabin baggage on board?
    Yes for Priority Boarding customers who will still be able to bring 2 bags, 1 normal (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) and 1 small (35cm x 20cm x 20cm) into the cabin.
    No for non-priority customers who will put their bigger (wheelie) cabin bag in the hold (free of charge), and will be able to take their smaller bag into the cabin.
    This is where some of the confusion lies. Some types of bags are of bigger dimensions than the small referred to above but still fit very easily under the seats. I have a bag that has gone under the seat in over 1,000 flights, has never seen the inside of an overhead but its dimensions are 46 x 36 x 10 which, technically, is "too big" to be a small bag as defined by FR. I've seen plenty others with similar. Despite the confusion I doubt very much that FR will be confiscating such bags at the gate as, you can see, they have added in the word "wheelie" to the "bigger" definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Mebuntu wrote: »
    This is where some of the confusion lies. Some types of bags are of bigger dimensions than the small referred to above but still fit very easily under the seats. I have a bag that has gone under the seat in over 1,000 flights, has never seen the inside of an overhead but its dimensions are 46 x 36 x 10 which, technically, is "too big" to be a small bag as defined by FR. I've seen plenty others with similar. Despite the confusion I doubt very much that FR will be confiscating such bags at the gate as, you can see, they have added in the word "wheelie" to the "bigger" definition.

That bag can be squished into the size limits if it is not too full.

I'd imagine they let you bring it on the flight if it fits within a box of the correct size limits but you will be made keep it under the seat.

I presume they will be limiting the amount of priority tickets sold to 90 as that is the amount of bags they can fit on the flight,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

fdevine wrote: »
    Agree 100%. It's no big deal. For me and/or family it's exactly the same as any other time I/we've flown with Ryanair. In fact, it'll even save us money if we check in a bag. No plans to pay for priority boarding as if there's something valuable or something I need it goes in the small bag.

Plus, due to the usual distance from gate to baggage hall, luggage is usually on the belt before passengers get there or if not then very soon after.

Agreed here as well. As pointed out, the only difference here from the norm for most people is that they can assume by default that their bigger carry on bag will go in the hold for free as opposed to it being 50/50. As before, priority boarding will ensure you get your bigger bag on board.

Only other difference is more generous allowance and pricing for check in bags.

Personally I think it's a good move, people do really take the p!ss with the second carry on bag, sometimes bringing a big wheelie bag as well as a stuffed back pack where the change originally was really meant to allow people to bring on a small satchel, laptop bag or handbag so they didn't have to stuff it in their bag before boarding. And then you have the people putting their jackets, hats, duty free etc up in the overhead bins as well as their wheelie bags. It's like putting your bag on the seat next to you on a bus, most people don't do it because it's inconsiderate to other travelers but this doesn't seem to translate as much to air travel unfortunately.

Also don't see the hullabaloo about putting your bag in the hold in the first place. You have maybe a 10 minute delay at your destination (in my experience it's never even that long). Are people really in that much of a hurry that they can't wait a minute to pick up their case? If you're in that much of a rush just get the priority boarding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Excellent new policy by Ryanair here in my opinion. They'll be boarding full flights in 7 or 8 minutes if it's implemented correctly. Leaving their competitors long behind.
    And I really don't see why people would be so upset about this basically they're allowing you to take a case for free the only stipulation is you carry it to the boarding gate yourself. If you want the convenience of keeping it above your head during the flight then you pay for priority boarding simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

k123456 wrote: »
    That, is excellent, advice.

Not if that case contains a laptop and an armfull of important documents needed for important meetings.
    I wouldn't care if it goes under my feet, but its not going out of my sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,350 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Not if that case contains a laptop and an armfull of important documents needed for important meetings.
    I wouldn't care if it goes under my feet, but its not going out of my sight.

But..... that's exactly what the advice was saying :confused:

Advertisement