Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But..... that's exactly what the advice was saying :confused:

Your missing my point.
    Say under the new rules you are flying to an important meeting. Your only bag, which is a wheeled cabin type, contains your laptop and a swathe of important documents which cannot go missing.
    What happens if you and over 90 other people have paid for priority but you are 95th on the queue, are you going to risk it going missing, because I certainly won't and in view of the fact that I paid to take it with me I would insist it stays with me.

They are saying its to save time, but that is baloney as either way they will still be lumping dozens of cases down to the plane.

What they need to do is restrict the overheads to one bag only, no extra bags, no jackets etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

K.Flyer wrote: »
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But..... that's exactly what the advice was saying :confused:

Your missing my point.
    Say under the new rules you are flying to an important meeting. Your only bag, which is a wheeled cabin type, contains your laptop and a swathe of important documents which cannot go missing.
    What happens if you and over 90 other people have paid for priority but you are 95th on the queue, are you going to risk it going missing, because I certainly won't and in view of the fact that I paid to take it with me I would insist it stays with me.

They are saying its to save time, but that is baloney as either way they will still be lumping dozens of cases down to the plane.

What they need to do is restrict the overheads to one bag only, no extra bags, no jackets etc.

More than 90 booking priority boarding (half the plane) would be as rare as hens teeth.
    Loading bags in the plane it's done at double the speed of passengers.
    What do you suggest about oh
    One bag in the lockers and removing small bags and coats has been tried and tried again and again over the years by various airlines and let me tell you it simply does not work and is impossible to manage hence this new policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Ridiculous. What would you suggest we do if the weather is bad? Fly over with just a t-shirt, sunglasses and a smile??

Ridiculous. What would you suggest we do if the weather is bad? Fly over with just a t-shirt, sunglasses and a smile??

Are you for real???
    No jackets in the overhead lockers ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Why can't they have free bag drop land side for all 10kg bags.

Charge €20 to bring a case on the plane.

Only under seat bag allowed free.

• Advertisement

Are you for real???

Are YOU for real?? I mean, really?? Please suggest where else jackets can be stored if not in the overhead lockers? I'm certainly not prepared to put my coat on the floor. I'm all ears...

Are YOU for real?? I mean, really?? Please suggest where else jackets can be stored if not in the overhead lockers? I'm certainly not prepared to put my coat on the floor. I'm all ears...

People stuffing the overheads with jackets and coats leave less room from the already restricted available spaces.
    One seat = one locker space, if you're lucky enough to get one.
    Not two spaces with coats, jackets and your duty free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

https://twitter.com/ryanair/status/719817860495724545?lang=en

coat hook coming on new ryanair interior

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Are you for real???

I don't know when it became an unreal request to be able to store your coat somewhere else than on the floor or on your laps when you get on a flight ... I've flown 100s of times over the years mostly in Europe, Asia and North America and it's always been a given that I can stow my jerket. Some people seem so indoctrinated to accept crap service they don't even understand why others would expect something better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Are you for real???

Trust me..the overhead locker is no cleaner than the floor! They are so grubby inside from being rammed by cases with filthy wheels etc.
    At least the floor is cleaned every night. Lockers are cleaned probably every few months... maybe even years.
    There is no issue with stowing coats in the lockers as long as they are folded ON TOP of cases and not in place of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

737max wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ryanair/status/719817860495724545?lang=en

coat hook coming on new ryanair interior

That's a post from April 2016. Have they not already introduced those new seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Bob24 wrote: »
    I don't know when it became an unreal request to be able to store your coat somewhere else than on the floor or on your laps when you get on a flight ... I've flown 100s of times over the years mostly in Europe, Asia and North America and it's always been a given that I can stow my jerket. Some people seem so indoctrinated to accept crap service they don't even understand why others would expect something better.

But by stuffing you're coat in the overhead locker when it needn't be, you're taking up a fellow passengers baggage room. Hence they had to bring in this new rule.

If you view this as crap service/can't understand why other people abide by the rules or requests, then fly with someone else.

Locker10a wrote: »
    There is no issue with stowing coats in the lockers as long as they are folded ON TOP of cases and not in place of them

+1 that's what I do and I don't think it bothers anyone as anyway the space left between the suitcase and the top of the bin is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I always bring a plastic bag (the everlasting supermarket type) with me in my handbag. Coat or jacket goes in there and onto the floor at my feet. Problem solved. Lockers are definitely not clean, so the bag is need for anything that goes in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

What's the story with the one duty free (airport shopping) bag you were allowed?

Get Real wrote: »
    But by stuffing you're coat in the overhead locker when it needn't be, you're taking up a fellow passengers baggage room. Hence they had to bring in this new rule.

If you view this as crap service/can't understand why other people abide by the rules or requests, then fly with someone else.

I usually bring only one item (either a small backpack or a larger cabin size suitcase). I really don't see how expecting I can stack-up that item and my coat in an overhead bin is an unreasonable request and why I am less entitled for that space than another passenger.

And never said I don't abide the rules btw. But yes I think asking me to let's say keep my backpack AND my coat on the floor in front of me throughout the whole flight because the airline's operational processes don't let them manage the volume of carry-on luggage and I have to leave space for those passengers with large suitcases would be bad service. I of course accept it will happen once in a while as I understand it is not easy for the airline to predict the exact volume of carry-on, but if the marketing/operational procedures involve this happening most of the time then yes it is bad service.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Meanwhile, there's all that underused space below our feet that isn't earning Ryanair a cent. You do have to wonder what their long term objective here is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Your missing my point.

"What happens if you and over 90 other people have paid for priority but you are 95th on the queue"

if you need to bring your bag physically on the plane, ensure you get to the gate early or use a different airline

• Advertisement

k123456 wrote: »
    "What happens if you and over 90 other people have paid for priority but you are 95th on the queue"

if you need to bring your bag physically on the plane, ensure you get to the gate early or use a different airline

Thats what I do, I get on the queue early to make sure I have no problem bringing on the bag.

As for people and their jackets, if it fits on top of your case / bag thats fine, but dont go taking up a second slot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Could easily solve this problem by allowing checked luggage free Instead of €50 per round trip. No wonder see people fit their stuff into carry on.

Maybe give free flights aswell :rolleyes:

How bout wear them or keep them on your seat
    Seriously the entitlement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Another decent allowance ruined by people being greedy and taking the piss. FFS, what was so hard about a normal sized cabin back and a wee handbag that you could put under your seat??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

gizmo81 wrote: »
    What's the story with the one duty free (airport shopping) bag you were allowed?

They told me on Facebook that a duty free bag is allowed in addition to the smaller size carry on bag so really it is only large wheelies that are affected. They also said that priority booking numbers will be limited to ensure all priority boarders get a bag space.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This is now a lottery if you will be allowed to bring a bag bigger than 35cm x 20cm x 20cm into the cabin unless you pay for priority. A medium sized laptop bag is bigger than the smaller bag dimension

This is now a lottery if you will be allowed to bring a bag bigger than 35cm x 20cm x 20cm into the cabin unless you pay for priority. A medium sized laptop bag is bigger than the smaller bag dimension

Good point, if those are the dimensions even a small 10l backpack which easily fits under the seat could be taken from you (besides the very small woman purse types, pretty much all backpacks including small ones will be wider than 20cm).

I suspect in practise they'll let those through but knowing that if they want to take it from me I can't do anything as those are the rules would make me uncomfortable. When I travel with just a backpack I often have an iPad, headphones, and a camera in it which I definitely won't let go to the hold (but are clumps to carry separately), and even for the likelyhood of the bag itself being damaged by heavier pieces or during bagage handling I wouldn't like it put into te hold.

In any case unless they change these dimensions they will have a hard time convincing me that what they are after is people abusing their previous policies.

irishman86 wrote: »
    How bout wear them or keep them on your seat
    Seriously the entitlement

What ARE you talking about? I pay for a seat, want to put my jacket in the overhead cabin, because I don't want to wear it whilst sitting on a plane; my baggage is in the hold and I'M entitled? Just because people are too damned cheap to pay to put their bags in the hold?

Yep - some sense of entitlement all right...

• Advertisement

What ARE you talking about? I pay for a seat, want to put my jacket in the overhead cabin, because I don't want to wear it whilst sitting on a plane; my baggage is in the hold and I'M entitled? Just because people are too damned cheap to pay to put their bags in the hold?

Yep - some sense of entitlement all right...

I talking about you being entitled, i thought i made that clear. If i bring a jacket i leave it on my lap, why you ask, because i dont feel entitled to storage space used for bags

Advertisement