Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

irishman86 wrote: »
    I talking about you being entitled, i thought i made that clear. If i bring a jacket i leave it on my lap, why you ask, because i dont feel entitled to storage space used for bags

Is entitlement meant to be a bad word in this case though?

The poster paid for a ticket like any other passengers and feels entitled to some space in the overhead bin like any other passenger. Is there anything wrong with that? As long as they don't take the piss and use-up a large amount of space in the bins they are no less entitled to use them than any other passenger regardless of what they want to store in that space.

I think most airlines work under this assumption. If an airline doesn't they should write it in their T&Cs and specify it during the booking process that bins are reserved for certain types of items.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Bob24 wrote: »
    Is entitlement meant to be a bad word in this case though?

The poster paid for a ticket like any other passengers and feels entitled to some space in the overhead bin like any other passenger. Is there anything wrong with that? As long as they don't take the piss and use-up a large amount of space in the bins they are no less entitled to use them than any other passenger regardless of what they want to store in that space.

I think most airlines work under this assumption. If an airline doesn't they should write it in their T&Cs and specify it during the booking process that bins are reserved for certain types of items.

Thats the problem though they are taking the piss throwing jackets up there that take up more space than the suitcases
    So to answer your question yes entitlement is the bad word

Thats the problem though they are taking the piss throwing jackets up there that take up more space than the suitcases
    So to answer your question yes entitlement is the bad word

I honestly haven't seen many jackets (if any) which would take more space than a suitcase.

Again what's the problem if the poster wants to use some space in the bins for their jacket as long as as a whole they don't occupy an unreasonable amount of space? (they said they are only using the bins for their jacket and nothing else)
    Why is it bad for them to feel as entitled to some overhead bin space as other passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Bob24 wrote: »
    I honestly haven't seen many jackets (if any) which would take more space than a suitcase.

Again what's the problem if the poster wants to use some space in the bins for their jacket as long as as a whole they don't occupy an unreasonable amount of space? (they said they are only using the bins for their jacket and nothing else)
    Why is it bad for them to feel as entitled to some overhead bin space as other passengers?

On every flight I've been on the last couple of years, bar none (both Ryanair and Aer Lingus), there's always at least one person boarding near the end that can't find a spot in the overhead lockers for their big wheelie bag due to people who have boarded with their wheelie case, and placed it in the overhead lockers along with their smaller bag, be it a handbag or a duty free bag as well as a jacket or a hat or some other article of clothing.

I'm sure sometimes it's someone who has already had their big bag taken and put in the hold and they just put their jacket and duty free up their but regardless, it's enough that it won't leave enough space for a bigger wheelie bag if they are at their 90 limit and while you might see it as only fair that that person gets some overhead space as well, the fact of the matter is the plane is designed to hold 90 wheelie bags of a certain dimension in the overhead lockers.

If this space is taken up with smaller items, the bag won't fit and the only option is to ask passengers to put the smaller items under their seat where there is plenty of room for these smaller items. I don't think it's completely unreasonable to request this considering the fact that the bigger wheelie bags will not fit under the seat. By putting the smaller items under your seat without having to be asked, you're saving time and effort for other passengers and crew.

I also don't think it's very fair to expect another passenger to put his/her big bag on the opposite end of the plane so you can put your whiskey and cigarettes from duty free in the overhead bin.

This is just logistics, Ryanair have implemented this change to try and smooth out boarding and avoid delays. This is happening on all their full flights and they've been warning about this publicly for a few months now, that a policy change will occur if it continues. It didn't stop so rules changed, simple. And tbf, they could have got rid of the 2nd bag altogether and gone back to when you have to stuff everything in your wheelie but they've gone somewhere in the middle that should satisfy everyone. Yeah, you might have to shell out an extra tenner for priority if you want your bag on board but I would bet that most people (myself included) wouldn't be too fussed to have their bag put in the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I always choose the option to put the larger of my 2 bags into the hold and prepare accordingly, so that nothing of any great value is in there and the bag is sturdy enough to survive. It's a lot handier than struggling to find a space getting on to the plane and finding it again getting off.

However, I do think that Ryanair, in failing to police bag sizes, actually caused the problem in the first place. I have seen people carrying enormous bags on their backs into the plane, as well as smaller ones in hand. When these people are not challenged, others are tempted to repeat this trick themselves the next time they travel ... and so it continues and spirals. It's human nature.

In any event, I'm not too bothered by the new policy. Anything that reduces the shuffling around in the overhead bins at the start and end of a flight is a good thing IMO. Worst of all (to me) are the folks who have to constantly revisit the storage bin to retrieve and replace items throughout the flight. Hopefully, they'll now have this stuff at their feet and leave the rest of us in peace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I always choose the option to put the larger of my 2 bags into the hold and prepare accordingly, so that nothing of any great value is in there and the bag is sturdy enough to survive. It's a lot handier than struggling to find a space getting on to the plane and finding it again getting off.

However, I do think that Ryanair, in failing to police bag sizes, actually caused the problem in the first place. I have seen people carrying enormous bags on their backs into the plane, as well as smaller ones in hand. When these people are not challenged, others are tempted to repeat this trick themselves the next time they travel ... and so it continues and spirals. It's human nature.

In any event, I'm not too bothered by the new policy. Anything that reduces the shuffling around in the overhead bins at the start and end of a flight is a good thing IMO. Worst of all (to me) are the folks who have to constantly revisit the storage bin to retrieve and replace items throughout the flight. Hopefully, they'll now have this stuff at their feet and leave the rest of us in peace!

I agree, they should have been stricter when bringing in the 2nd bag, I think they went too far in the other direction. I'd sometimes see guys with the normal big wheelie and then a massive back pack stuffed to the brim.

Of course then you'd have the usual folks out in force saying the new second bag policy is a lie and they're still not allowing them etc etc. The thing is you'll never keep everyone happy, no matter what policies you introduce. If they made all the flights and baggage completely free people would still find something to moan about!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think this is a great move. You pay for your choices. If you want your bag in the overhead you pay for priority, if you don't mind it going in the hold it goes there free if you do not want to pay for priority.

Anyway, judging by the flight I took back from UK last night, there were refusals left right and centre to offer to put bags in the hold at the gate for free. A bit of bad temper ensued, but the staff handled it very professionally I thought. Most people want their wheelies with them on board, so then pay for it I say! I only had a second little backpack and it went under the seat no bother.

The reason I am saying this is, even if someone doesn't pay for priority, there will have to be absolute checks at the gate and at the baggage truck on the apron to make sure no smart ass takes off the yellow tag and chances their arm.

But I suppose RYR will check your BC as you board, if you have priority, bring on your case, if you don't, open the hatch in the cabin, and down it goes, plop.... into the hold. Hope you have a pleasant flight!

It will take a while to bed down, but it's a good move overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I talking about you being entitled, i thought i made that clear. If i bring a jacket i leave it on my lap, why you ask, because i dont feel entitled to storage space used for bags

I always stow a coat overhead on top of my luggage, where nobody else would be putting anything anyway. Tbh I've never seen anyone go the duration of a flight with a coat on their lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Overall its a good move from RY

less fees for 20kg cases, 
    in theory boarding and leaving the plane should be much quicker
    5euro for priority is reasonable , for carry on wheelie bag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭Sarn

I imagine they will change the current tagging policy and priority boarders will be given a tag to avoid any problems. That will minimize sneaking on by removing your tag.

• Advertisement

grimm2005 wrote: »
    On every flight I've been on the last couple of years, bar none (both Ryanair and Aer Lingus), there's always at least one person boarding near the end that can't find a spot in the overhead lockers for their big wheelie bag due to people who have boarded with their wheelie case, and placed it in the overhead lockers along with their smaller bag, be it a handbag or a duty free bag as well as a jacket or a hat or some other article of clothing.

I'm sure sometimes it's someone who has already had their big bag taken and put in the hold and they just put their jacket and duty free up their but regardless, it's enough that it won't leave enough space for a bigger wheelie bag if they are at their 90 limit and while you might see it as only fair that that person gets some overhead space as well, the fact of the matter is the plane is designed to hold 90 wheelie bags of a certain dimension in the overhead lockers.

If this space is taken up with smaller items, the bag won't fit and the only option is to ask passengers to put the smaller items under their seat where there is plenty of room for these smaller items. I don't think it's completely unreasonable to request this considering the fact that the bigger wheelie bags will not fit under the seat. By putting the smaller items under your seat without having to be asked, you're saving time and effort for other passengers and crew.

I also don't think it's very fair to expect another passenger to put his/her big bag on the opposite end of the plane so you can put your whiskey and cigarettes from duty free in the overhead bin.

This is just logistics, Ryanair have implemented this change to try and smooth out boarding and avoid delays. This is happening on all their full flights and they've been warning about this publicly for a few months now, that a policy change will occur if it continues. It didn't stop so rules changed, simple. And tbf, they could have got rid of the 2nd bag altogether and gone back to when you have to stuff everything in your wheelie but they've gone somewhere in the middle that should satisfy everyone. Yeah, you might have to shell out an extra tenner for priority if you want your bag on board but I would bet that most people (myself included) wouldn't be too fussed to have their bag put in the hold.

Yes people taking the piss are a different story (and usually not well policed by Ryanair or Aer Lingus when they go over the limits), my post was only talking about people who are reasonable and just bring a small bag and/or a coat.

And I still don't think a person with a small bag or a coat is less entitled for the space though. As I said of course their will be cases when the bins are exceptionally full which are difficult for an airline to predict, and in that case it would be stupid for passengers who can ease the situation by taking out small items not to do it. But for most airlines (including Aer Lingus in my experience) this is an exception rather than the norm. This is a critical point for the "entitlement" argument which was being made: yes, bar exceptional circumstances those airlines have no problem with passengers feeling entitled to some bin space regardless of what type of item they want to store in them. What irishman86 was saying is that on a Ryanair flight feeling entitled to this was wrong in all circumstances. If Ryanair agrees with him (I am not actually sure they actually do) they should clearly explain to passengers during the booking process that bins are strictly for large suitcases.

This brings me to your point about logistics. From my perspective it is part logistics but definitely also part marketing:
    - in the first place it is Ryanair's commercial and marketing practices which are causing overhead bins overload (if you ignore small airplanes with very limited storage in the cabin, most airlines don't have to constantly force 10s of passengers to put carry-on into the hold, so if it happens with one specific airline it is obviously due something different in that airline's commercial and operational practices)
    - Then because of that logistics issue with overhead bins, a commercial decision is announced not to allow non-premium passengers to bring a suitcase in the cabin

So yes in the middle there is a logistics issue to be solved, but it is fairly specific to Ryanair and most importantly the while thing starts with a commercial decision and ends with a commercial decision. Hence my point that I wouldn't say it's purely logistics: if the issue was purely with logistics they would have been other ways to address it.

Now let me be clear: Ryanair can have whichever commercial practices they want and I have no problem with that at all. As long as they don't scam people or put them in danger, customers are the only judge. But what I was on about is posters saying people who expect they can stow a coat in the overhead bins are some kind of selfish idiots. Until there is an official Ryanair policy saying it is not allowed (I doubt there will ever be one), those posters should really look into the mirror and wonder who is having a short sighted view.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cocaholic

Can someone confirm that you can't take hair straighteners and tweezers in hand luggage at Dublin airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yes you can. They are both regularly in my hand luggage, and no issues.

EDIT: to add, they don't come out of my bag either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

cocaholic wrote: »
    Can someone confirm that you can't take hair straighteners and tweezers in hand luggage at Dublin airport?

If you are carrying anything metallic on board with you take it out of your bag and put it in the tray with your keys, phone charger, phone, wallet/handbag, change etc where the security guys can see it. Most airlines give you a plastic bag to put your shampoo, make up, lotion etc when you are passing through security.
    When they can see they are not bomb components they wave you on

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cocaholic

dudara wrote: »
    Yes you can. They are both regularly in my hand luggage, and no issues.

EDIT: to add, they don't come out of my bag either.

Has it been many times?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I fly min twice a week. I've never been asked to take them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Hi guys does anyone know if we are allowed have batteries in toys for plane on aerlingus?
    It's for my sons singing teddy but a friend said that they can't put them in hand luggage if they have batteries inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

No issue with most batteries, including powerbanks. There are restrictions on cetain batteries but the usual run of the mill stuff is fine.

Some airlines brought in controls on laptops and the likes but AFAIK that's when flying to and from a specific list of countries.

Phones, smaller tablets and singing teddies sould not be a cause for concern.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Normal batteries in hand luggage are totally fine. Strictly speaking no one is supposed to put batteries in checked luggage though!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tv2013

Can you bring your iPad on carry on luggage with aer lingus when flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tv2013

Yes

Thanks for your quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Just make sure to switch it to flight mode

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

when going through security you just need to take it out of your bag and scan it separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Can you bring an empty sports bottle through security?

Flying with Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Yes. It's the liquid they object to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yep, empty containers are fine. I always bring an empty water bottle through security and then fill it airside before boarding so I have something to drink. Just don't forget to actually empty it before you get in line; if it still has water in it, security might confiscate the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

dennyk wrote: »
    Yep, empty containers are fine. I always bring an empty water bottle through security and then fill it airside before boarding so I have something to drink. Just don't forget to actually empty it before you get in line; if it still has water in it, security might confiscate the bottle.

I hope you don't fill it from the Toilets in Departures!!!!! I would reckon that the water in the wash hand basins comes from tanks.... not mains!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Masala wrote: »
    I hope you don't fill it from the Toilets in Departures!!!!! I would reckon that the water in the wash hand basins comes from tanks.... not mains!!

There are drinking fountains after security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

and I don't mean their "carry on" about only allowing first 90 customers to put items in the overhead!

What are the max carry on items you can bring on nowadays?

Afaik it's:

- Your standard carry on bag
    - A personal effects bag (like a manbag)
    - Duty free bag

that it? Or can you bring a laptop bag along with your personal effects?

Advertisement