Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

toadfly wrote: »

ARF.

I want the unofficial line, they usually specify duty free must be included in your carry on but I've often gotten on with a separate plastic duty free alongside the manbag and carry-on.

Was mainly curious about peoples experiences of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

mrcheez wrote: »
    and I don't mean their "carry on" about only allowing first 90 customers to put items in the overhead!

What are the max carry on items you can bring on nowadays?

Afaik it's:

- Your standard carry on bag
    - A personal effects bag (like a manbag)
    - Duty free bag

that it? Or can you bring a laptop bag along with your personal effects?

Your personal item is your laptop bag, not additional to your laptop bag, basically the overhead lockers can only phycically fit 90 regulations size cases. So 90 is all that’s allowed in. Your “additional” item be it handbag, laptop bag, shopping bags have to be small enough to easily fit UNDERNEATH the seat in front of you. And theoretically this will be the only available stowage space left if indeed 90 cases are brought into the cabin. If you wish to stow anything in the overhead locker that’s not a case it should be placed on top of a case that’s already there and not in place of one. If you bring with you a laptop bag, personal bag, shopping bag and put all this in the locker, suddenly there’s only space for 89 cases in the lockers. If 10 people do the same(placing their crap in the lockers, small bags, coats etc) then suddenly there’s only space for 80 bags in the lockers. Then 10 people are hemmed into the aisle during boarding with nowhere to store their cases. Then they have to return to the door of the aircraft and have their bags also tagged for the hold. This create a complete blockage during boarding and voila the flight has been delayed an extra 10 minutes as this is sorted out. Hence all the noise from Ryanair about people taking this piss and changing the handluggage policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It will be interesting to see if Ryanair are strict about the smaller bag size from next Wednesday as anyone not using priority will have their larger bag taken from them and put in the hold leaving the person with only the smaller 2nd bag size (not exceeding 35cm x 20cm x 20cm) for all their valubles, stuff for the flight, passport etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

It will be interesting to see if Ryanair are strict about the smaller bag size from next Wednesday as anyone not using priority will have their larger bag taken from them and put in the hold leaving the person with only the smaller 2nd bag size (not exceeding 35cm x 20cm x 20cm) for all their valubles, stuff for the flight, passport etc

Thought that had been delayed until Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I asked the flight stewardess after one flight why they didn't say anything when we both saw this lady filling Half the locker space with coats and handbags

The response was" Trust me, confrontation on this would take longer than the current system of ignoring and putting bags under the hold"

She also added" But feel free yourself to call someone out on it as it makes our job easier if it comes from fellow passengers"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Dovies wrote: »
    Thought that had been delayed until Jan

it has

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

Hello guys, it will be my first time flight with Ryanair. And they are of course trying to sell "better seat, more luggage carrying, faster check-in etc." but I couldn't find a straight answer to my question.

Am I allowed to bring with me one "free" cabin size backpack (limit is 10 kg as I read and dimensions are mentioned already) into the plane with me? Yes or no?

Second, how strict are they with this cabin luggage rule? Probably they ask you to put your backpack into pre defined size frame and if it doesn't fit in there they ask you to pay more.

Is there any other service worth buying (I don't mind 2 hours travel at a random uncomfy seat) that really worth the price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Yes you can bring a cabin bag on the plane for free. If the bag is too large or there isn't space in the overhead lockers the staff will tag your bag at the gate and it will be put in the hold for free.

I don't think that any of the additional costs are worth it unless you are traveling with another person and want to guarantee you sit together by purchasing your seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ifonlyicould

New rules on cabin bags have been put back until 15 Jan so , yes you can still bring 10 kg on board

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Little bit of leg room if you’re tall. Otherwise, no point in paying for anything extra.

That ‘tag and place in the hold for free’ malarkey is a great way to check your luggage in for free.

New rules on cabin bags have been put back until 15 Jan so , yes you can still bring 10 kg on board

Sorry for being ignorant but what is the new rules and what does it change actually? I have another trip with Ryanair at the end of January so it would be nice to get more information about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

bonjurkes wrote:
    Is there any other service worth buying (I don't mind 2 hours travel at a random uncomfy seat) that really worth the price?

Priority is worth it, in my opinion, first onto plane, take note on boarding pass whether you are entering at front or back of plane to avoid confusion, did notice on my return flight last week, alot of people in the non priority queue had their carry on luggage tagged to be placed in hold because plane was full, priority fee is worth it. You are allowed a 10kg bag on board within the dimensions specified and a small hand/man bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ifonlyicould

All details on baggage allowance is on their website when you click on help.
    From 15 Jan if you have not purchased priority boarding, your 10kg bag will be put in the - at no charge

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Interesting....so this is the reason why they decided to remove priority boarding from being included with priority seats.
    I guess the "be first on board to get your pick of the overhead lockers" angle wasn't really working but the "be guaranteed to take your bag on board" one will push people to pay the extra €6.

What is the big deal for your baggage to be sent on cargo hold instead of staying in cabin? People just don't want to wait their baggage being delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

In my experience, with the length of walk from Ryanair gates, the baggage is often on the belt and waiting by the time you get there so it's not really a big deal.

If you alsolutely need your carry on bag with you then you need to be in the first 90 pax on board or pay for priority.

We flew to and from Beauvais in the last few days and staff both sides were walking through the waiting area looking for bags to tag for the hold.

In short, unless you pay for priority boarding, the only bag you are guaranteed to bring on board is your smaller second bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

Humour Me wrote: »
    Yes you can bring a cabin bag on the plane for free. If the bag is too large or there isn't space in the overhead lockers the staff will tag your bag at the gate and it will be put in the hold for free.

I don't think that any of the additional costs are worth it unless you are traveling with another person and want to guarantee you sit together by purchasing your seats.

Not quite right, if it's too big you will be charged to put it in the hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

bill66 wrote: »
    Not quite right, if it's too big you will be charged to put it in the hold.

Only if they measure or weigh it, and usually they won't unless you're clearly taking the piss with an obviously oversized bag. If it's just a couple cm too big or a bit overweight, you'll most likely be fine, especially if you volunteer to have it gate-checked when they come around asking. They're more concerned with getting everyone boarded ASAP for a quick turnaround than spending ages measuring and weighing every bag in the hopes of extracting a few bucks from some passengers (and likely starting a long argument that will further delay boarding every time).

Priority boarding is definitely not worth paying for unless you absolutely can't check your larger carry-on for some reason. It doesn't even get you on the plane faster sometimes because they're in a rush and pretty much just herd everyone through the same line as quickly as possible, and it's not like it's Southwest where the seats are unassigned and the first to board gets their pick.

Reserved seats at booking are usually worth it if you care about avoiding getting stuck with a middle seat or you want to be able to check in online more than four days in advance of your flight. Just book one of the cheap ones in the rear of the plane and it's usually only a couple quid per leg (plus you'll often board faster anyway because half your fellow rear passengers won't bother reading their boarding pass and will just queue up at the front stairs).

The other extras (aside from checked luggage if you do have a big bag) aren't generally worth it.

OP feel free to take the advice above and take an oversized bag. When they charge you €50 you can always say a person on the internet said is was OK to break Ryanair's rules.

bonjurkes wrote: »
    Hello guys, it will be my first time flight with Ryanair. And they are of course trying to sell "better seat, more luggage carrying, faster check-in etc." but I couldn't find a straight answer to my question.

Am I allowed to bring with me one "free" cabin size backpack (limit is 10 kg as I read and dimensions are mentioned already) into the plane with me? Yes or no?

Second, how strict are they with this cabin luggage rule? Probably they ask you to put your backpack into pre defined size frame and if it doesn't fit in there they ask you to pay more.

I always pay for a reserved seat as I want to sit in aisle near rear of aircraft, easy to get up when you need to and also can get your luggage from overhead lockers first when you land. Would hate to be stuck in middle seat.

For carry-on you can bring:
    - the overhead bag
    - a laptop case sized bag. Even if you don't have a laptop get one of these as you can put loads into them
    - a duty free bag, so also have one of these handy whenever you are travelling

Indeed, this thread seems to be full of your typical holier-than-thou "always follow the rules to the letter" type of posters.

The reality of the situation is that the rules are essentially guidelines and you can typically get away with bending them slightly.

The staff are generally fairly laid back, and you will rarely be charged for oversized luggage unless you are really taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Now that Ryanair have moved the date, we do not know how they are going to police the new requirements. If they are strict, anyone not using priority will have their larger bag taken from them and put in the hold leaving the person with only the smaller 2nd bag size (not exceeding 35cm x 20cm x 20cm) for all their valubles, stuff for the flight, passport etc

ARF.

I want the unofficial line, they usually specify duty free must be included in your carry on but I've often gotten on with a separate plastic duty free alongside the manbag and carry-on.

Was mainly curious about peoples experiences of late.
    I always pay for a reserved seat as I want to sit in aisle near rear of aircraft, easy to get up when you need to and also can get your luggage from overhead lockers first when you land. Would hate to be stuck in middle seat.

For carry-on you can bring:
    - the overhead bag
    - a laptop case sized bag. Even if you don't have a laptop get one of these as you can put loads into them
    - a duty free bag, so also have one of these handy whenever you are travelling

...and my top tip...

When going through the gate be sure to CARRY your carry-on case rather than wheel it to make it less conspicuous.

When I was going through the people in front of me and behind me were targeted to put their cases in the hold, despite the cases being no larger than mine. I was carrying mine so it must have looked smaller.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

It must be at least 2 years since I seen them actually charge anyone.[/quote]

Airlines do still charge at the gate for excess luggage. Every so often they will push it with their handling agents, offering them commission and shopping vouchers for each oversize bag they charge for at the gate. Sometimes this incentive for staff will last for a week, a month etc. Often at the beginning of summer season, so it’s very much still a thing and happens

• Advertisement

It must have been 2 years since you flew with Ryanair then. As someone who flies regularly I can assure you it is not an uncommon occurrence.

Once again OP feel free to tell them Fred said it was OK.

Advertisement