Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

We have always actively sought to place our cabin bags in the hold. So much less hassle getting on and off the plane. If they will now take them at the check-in desk, even better, though I suppose not likely, given the extra airport charges they will have to pay for same.

We don't take much of any value while flying, so it's easy enough to take phones/tablets/electronics on board in the small bag and we pack accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

RoYoBo wrote: »
    We have always actively sought to place our cabin bags in the hold. So much less hassle getting on and off the plane.

fair enough but there are also many who don't want to cough up the bag....tear off tags and try to sneak on with etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,350 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We have always actively sought to place our cabin bags in the hold. So much less hassle getting on and off the plane. If they will now take them at the check-in desk, even better, though I suppose not likely, given the extra airport charges they will have to pay for same.

We don't take much of any value while flying, so it's easy enough to take phones/tablets/electronics on board in the small bag and we pack accordingly.
    Same as that, I'm often to be found chasing the ground staff around the place looking to see if they want extra bags for the hold!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

If they will now take them at the check-in desk, even better, though I suppose not likely, given the extra airport charges they will have to pay for same.

Ryanair have stated that it will still be taken at the boarding gate

• Advertisement

Ryanair have stated that it will still be taken at the boarding gate

yep which means you still go through security and can't bring anything that wouldn't be allowed in carryon even if it is to end up in the hold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

They go from one extreme to the other. I travel with a 1 small backpack, 5KG, ( no other bag ) which will always fits under the seat in front of me. Now if they implement this new rule , anything which will not fit in the smaller of the 2 baggage sizer frames, basically only a lady's handbag, has to go in the hold, or pay MOL €5 for priority at time of booking. It's not mission critical but another ( always getting better idea which will surely bring smiles to all of our faces.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

dohouch wrote: »
    They go from one extreme to the other. I travel with a 1 small backpack, 5KG, ( no other bag ) which will always fits under the seat in front of me. Now if they implement this new rule , anything which will not fit in the smaller of the 2 baggage sizer frames, basically only a lady's handbag, has to go in the hold, or pay MOL €5 for priority at time of booking. It's not mission critical but another ( always getting better idea which will surely bring smiles to all of our faces.

I think you're fine with the small bag

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

dohouch wrote: »
    I think the big issue Ryanair(and all airlines have) is cases and large back-packer bags that simply don’t all fit into overhead lockers or “hat-racks” as they were originally designed as. This in my option is a very smart and efficient way tidying up boarding, putting significant bags where the should be (in the hold) and limiting luggage that’s stored in the cabin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm in the same position at dohouce - rucksack on my back with laptop etc and no other carry on bag. It always goes under the seat easy, but no way will it fit in the 35cm x 20cm x 20cm dimensions. I don't mind the new rules as it should speed up boarding, but they are pretty ambiguous for those travelling with a "fit under seat" backpack and nothing else.
    Edit: According to their twitter page, larger bag is fine to bring as long as it fits under the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Any ideas if you could have a handbag and bring on your airport shopping? Say a bottle or cigarettes. They wouldn't fit in my handbag.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

MsQuinn wrote: »
    Any ideas if you could have a handbag and bring on your airport shopping? Say a bottle or cigarettes. They wouldn't fit in my handbag.
    I’d say that will be fine, they’ll both fit under the seat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage#0-1

So, looks like my standard shoulder bag (containing laptop, toothbrush and not much else) and which always goes under the seat in front of me, will be too big. (I never bring a wheelie bag)

I’ll know for sure tomorrow when I board at Gatwick.

If so, Aer Lingus, here I come...!

D.

What really makes this execrable (if I’m reading it correctly) is it’s being brought in with immediate effect, rather than, say, February 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Small bags (including laptop bags) that fit under your seat will still be allowed on board with you. Wheelie bags will go into the hold for free at the gate. Don't worry about the dimensions, if it clearly will fit under your seat, they'll let it pass.

Also should be noted that this was announced in September originally to come into effect in November but was delayed until January 15th with the policy change advertised heavily through all their official channels as well as the media so there's been 4 months notice at least for this change.

It has to be said though that a lot of of the headlines going around are misleading making it seem like this is a huge policy change and that you can no longer bring a bigger wheelie bag with you which isn't true, it just goes into the hold for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

There's no change to the number, size, or weight of carry-on items you can bring on a Ryanair flight; the only new rule is that if you don't have priority boarding, your larger carry-on item will always be checked at the gate for free, whereas before you still might have had a shot at getting it into an overhead bin if they didn't run out of space first. Unless your shoulder bag is obviously oversized and clearly wouldn't fit under the seat, it's still unlikely they're going to measure it or make you check it; they just don't want you taking up bin space, as if they run out and have to gate check a bunch of bags at the last second, it delays departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Dinarius wrote: »
    So, looks like my standard shoulder bag (containing laptop, toothbrush and not much else) and which always goes under the seat in front of me, will be too big. (I never bring a wheelie bag)
    This very question was asked in a Q&A on Pat Kenny this morning. The answer was "you should be alright but check first"...whatever that means.
    I’ll know for sure tomorrow when I board at Gatwick.
    Do please let us know ASAP as I am in the same boat....see below.
    If so, Aer Lingus, here I come...!
    That was my initial feeling, too, but I did some comparisons for a flight I am ready to book and, even with the €5 each way Priority, Ryanair was way cheaper. Reserved seats on FR only €1.50 each still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Isn't this going to defeat the whole purpose of "priority boarding" we there'll be more passengers in that queue now than the standard one?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Isn't this going to defeat the whole purpose of "priority boarding" we there'll be more passengers in that queue now than the standard one?!

I doubt it. There isn't an enough room in the cabin for everyone bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Mr rebel wrote: »

Max 90 people allowed as Priority I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

This is a result of people taking the piss with carry on bags, both ones that are too big and people taking an age to store them. That delays boarding too.

Just back from Gatwick. No issues with my bag at the gate.

It was on my shoulder, hidden from view, but they didn’t ask to see it.

They did notice my undesirable status on my boarding pass (I use my phone) stating “Non-priority, 1 small bag”, which is a new addition to what’s on the screen.

Bag went under the seat, as it always does.

So, no problem from Gatwick. Will know next week if there’s any problem ex-Dublin.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Mycroft H wrote: »
    This is a result of people taking the piss with carry on bags, both ones that are too big and people taking an age to store them. That delays boarding too.

Totally agree. That, and gobsh1tes swapping seats before pushback on a <60 minute flight, or returning to stowed bags multiple times for no apparent reason.

Despite all the fuss about the issue these "new" rules are really just policy being enforced, primarily down to people taking the almighty p1ss.

Options are pay or don't pay. If you "need" your two carry on bags then pay. If you don't need both then take your chances. Just don't take the p1ss. Get on, sit down, don't move unless you absolutely need to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I love how people state they'll never fly Ryanair again when changes like this happen. They expect the Ryanair base price to give them the same standard as other more expensive airlines base price.

If you want to bring on a wheelie bag, pay the extra €5 for priority boarding.
    If you're travelling with someone else and want to sit together, pay the €2 each to pick seats.

Add up these 'extras' and then compare prices with other airlines. I've found that Ryanair are still cheaper 80-90% of the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

...pushing half the way against people who can tell the front of the plane from the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Wheety wrote: »
    If you want to bring on a wheelie bag, pay the extra €5 for priority boarding.
    If you're travelling with someone else and want to sit together, pay the €2 each to pick seats.

Add up these 'extras' and then compare prices with other airlines. I've found that Ryanair are still cheaper 80-90% of the time.

I'm old enough to remember when a Ryanair flight only cost 5€, sometimes only 2€, or even 1ct. :D The good ol' days, when there was none of this seat-reserving nonsense, and MOL used to do everything in his power to stop you checking in a bag. It was so much simpler then!

Now Ryanair is just a bog-standard airline with notions, disappointing punctuality compared to the past, and just happens to fly to convenient out-of-the way airports.

But as the price difference between them and e.g. Aer Lingus has come right down, by the time you've added in the cost of getting to those more convenient airports it can be cheaper to use another airline if there's only one of you travelling. :(

Totally agree regarding the wholesale abuse of the status quo regarding numbers of bags and placing bags in lockers near the doors, etc.

The small extra charge will make people think about whether 10-15 minutes spent at the luggage carousel is worth it. (If it’s any longer than that, Ryanair are probably losing on the turnaround. At the margins they operate at, if things aren’t running like a Swiss watch, they have to be losing money. As a frequent customer, my experience is that they’re mostly early, sometimes on time, rarely late.)

My only concern is the size of the one bag you are allowed. Strictly speaking, doesn’t it rule out a normal sized attaché case or satchel bag? Who would put one of those in the hold? I wouldn’t.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Am traveling non priority with Ryanair in a few weeks. I’m checking in a bag but will also have a wheelie handluggage case which I know will be taken off me at the gate. I’m just wondering if anyone knows if they’ll take that bag off me when checking in the big bag as would make life a lot easier if I didn’t have to take it through security / all the way to the plane!

Advertisement