Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Am traveling non priority with Ryanair in a few weeks. I’m checking in a bag but will also have a wheelie handluggage case which I know will be taken off me at the gate. I’m just wondering if anyone knows if they’ll take that bag off me when checking in the big bag as would make life a lot easier if I didn’t have to take it through security / all the way to the plane!

I frequently do this with Aer Lingus but last I heard Ryanair have started charging for this privilege. I believe something like €3/4, You could always try your luck on the day and maybe the agent will do it for free, seems stupid to charge when they are really pushing that they put small carry on cases in the hold for free these days .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Some passengers will put their small bag in the bins too, not under the seat. Especially if it's airport purchases. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some passengers will put their small bag in the bins too, not under the seat. Especially if it's airport purchases. Hmmm.

And their jackets, which really irriates me. Have once asked someone not to put their jacket in as it was the last space and my case wouldn't fit otherwise. It's understandable at the exit rows, however in row 27 (or whatever) it's just ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Locker10a wrote: »
    I frequently do this with Aer Lingus but last I heard Ryanair have started charging for this privilege. I believe something like €3/4, You could always try your luck on the day and maybe the agent will do it for free, seems stupid to charge when they are really pushing that they put small carry on cases in the hold for free these days .

Thanks. Will ask anyway! Worst they can do is say no!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yeah they will hence the new policy is to remove as many cases from being carried in the cabin as they can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Traveling to the Canaries next month and using Aer Lingus on the route for the first time. Does anyone know if they bother to weigh cabin bags? RyanAir never do; they only bother with the size.

If it's in size, but overweight, will I have a problem? Also, how prickly are they about the second bag? I have a small backpack that fits comfortably under a seat and have never had an issue with it on RyanAir as my second item, but I have never tried it on Aer Lingus before.

Any advice/first-hand experience appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

I've never seen them weigh cabin bags. If your second bag fits under the seat you'll have no problem. In recent years I haven't really noticed any difference between Aer Lingus and Ryanair in terms of their hand luggage policies (apart from Ryanair gate checking bags).

The only time I have seen any kind of serious enforcement of the hand luggage regulations is for flights from UK airports to Ireland operated by Stobart Air. Even then it's only the size they were concerned with not the weight. The Aer Lingus staff at Dublin Airport seem to be more lax than some of the handling agencies.

Cheers, guys; I appreciate the input! Hopefully we will be okay.

Last time we went, we had hold bags since we were going for several weeks. No issue at Dublin, but we were nearly two hours in the queue for check in for the return flight— one very overworked man in severe distress was alone trying to check in for four or five flights at once. There had been two desks (which still wasn't enough) but one family had too much baggage so the airline girl took them away to the other end of the airport to pay... And just never came back!

It was genuinely awful. We asked if this was the norm and the guy at the desk said yes, they are always doing this and it is really very stressful for them. The previous time we went, we only had cabin bags so we didn't have to deal with it, but it did look —as we were merrily passing— like the queue was just as long that time, too.

As a result, I'd fly with a pair of underpants and a toothbrush to avoid checked bags there again, though maybe Aer Lingus make more of an effort to staff their desks than RyanAir? I'll take a quick look at the line when we're going through, anyway.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Ryanair have u-turned on their attitude to checked bags recently and are now encouraging people to check bags so they'd want to improve their staffing at the desks.

Remember since Aer Lingus is a much smaller airline the chances are when you are in most European airports that your Aer Lingus flight will be the only flight they are handling at the time. The last few times I've gone to the Aer Lingus desks there has been no queue at all. Although I imagine the Canaries would have a greater than average amount of people checking bags than most European routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

A lot of recent Aer Lingus flights I've taken they actively ask if people want to put their bags in the hold for free - if you're not in a rush and think you might have issues squeezing it under the seat in front it can be a good option.
    Never seen them weighing bags.

VG31 wrote: »
    Ryanair have u-turned on their attitude to checked bags recently and are now encouraging people to check bags so they'd want to improve their staffing at the desks.

Remember since Aer Lingus is a much smaller airline the chances are when you are in most European airports that your Aer Lingus flight will be the only flight they are handling at the time. The last few times I've gone to the Aer Lingus desks there has been no queue at all. Although I imagine the Canaries would have a greater than average amount of people checking bags than most European routes.

That's a good point, I'll have a look at RyanAir too when I'm leaving to see if their line is any shorter than last time! There were at least four if not five flights in the RyanAir line last time, and eventually they had to start skipping people up from the back of the line so they could close the earlier flights as needed— nobody was happy with that, as you can imagine!

You're right about Aer Lingus, and that didn't occur to me. Too late now as it's all booked, but I'll throw the eye over them on departure this time and see what it's like, but based on what you said, I imagine it's a lot quieter. Thanks for the insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Not necessarily a problem flying out but could be a different story on the return leg.

I've been flying for nearly 30 years and the one and only time I've had an issue with cabin baggage was returning from Barcelona on an Aer Lingus flight.

That said, we were checking in at the airport but there are always jobsworths around.

fdevine wrote: »
    Not necessarily a problem flying out but could be a different story on the return leg.

I've been flying for nearly 30 years and the one and only time I've had an issue with cabin baggage was returning from Barcelona on an Aer Lingus flight.

That said, we were checking in at the airport but there are always jobsworths around.

If we get stung at the gate on the way home, it'll be an annoyance, but it won't be the end of the world— we won't be dropping off a bag at all, so the first time we'll see anyone from Aer Lingus is at the gate.

I had the same story twice with RyanAir back in the olden days when you had to get your passes at the desk, though: no hassle at Dublin airport, but on the return leg "this bag must be checked". It was definitely done as a revenue-generating exercise, but I think they've got other tactics now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

My OH is taking up a new position with work that will require a good bit of international travel so I'm looking to pick up a quality suitcase which meets the carry on requirements. Anyone have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Oh behave...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

CabinMax luggage is my usual go-to.

https://cabinmax.com/

Reasonably priced, hard wearing, wide range & decent guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

+1 for Cabin Max

We got a wedding present of this (and the larger suitcase) works a treat, very light and loads of capacity. I see they've a slightly smaller one available too.

https://www.samsonite.co.uk/paradiver-light-duffle-on-wheels-55cm-backpack/74780.html?dwvar_74780_color=6206&cgid=6684#start=1&cgid=6684

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bring the measuring tape to TK Maxx, Debenhams and Arnotts - v. good selection in all of those stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Rimowa, Tumi or Samsonite is where you should invest the money. All of them will last many years of frequent travel. I have a Samsonite spinner that’s just tipped over 8 years of flying, often on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cobham

We have done Lanzarote with carry on bags only for last few years.... trolley bags and smaller bag/mini rucksack. This month we were able to take all bags onto plane but last year they collected some bags at the boarding gate... we just offered ours. I think it was optional. On the way back it was a dream to avoid the HUGE slow moving Q for check in/ bags. Bags were not taken at gates on return trips.

Previous years we had checked in at our hotel and had boarding passes printed so went direct to security area. This year it was the checkin detail on app on phone that worked fine, needed also for duty free shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I booked a flight last October with Ryanair and took the Plus option cause I heard their bag policy might change.

At the time it said priority boarding was included with plus, now my boarding pass says non priority and 1 small bag. Anyone know what the story with this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Am I right in my thinking. Flying Ryanair on Friday no baggage booked. I'm OK with my backpack and a carry on (on wheels) and at the gate they will take my carry-on and put it in the hold free of charge?
    Or have I got it wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Am I right in my thinking. Flying Ryanair on Friday no baggage booked. I'm OK with my backpack and a carry on (on wheels) and at the gate they will take my carry-on and put it in the hold free of charge?
    Or have I got it wrong

That's it, as long as your backpack is within the fairly small size allowance and can fit under a seat. They will take your wheelie at the gate and put it in the hold.

Or so they say....the annoying thing with Ryanair is that some staff stick to the rules, others don't. It will be interesting to see how strictly they apply this latest change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

colly10 wrote: »
    I and took the Plus option cause I heard their bag policy might change.

Leisure Plus or Business Plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

spurious wrote: »
    That's it, as long as your backpack is within the fairly small size allowance and can fit under a seat. They will take your wheelie at the gate and put it in the hold.

Or so they say....the annoying thing with Ryanair is that some staff stick to the rules, others don't. It will be interesting to see how strictly they apply this latest change.

Have taken three Ryanair flights (all between Gatwick and Dublin) since the change in policy announcement a couple of weeks back.

Maybe because of the busy route it is, staffing is good - more than adequate, in fact.

In Dublin, one member of staff is walking along the queue, checking that those with wheelie bags/small suitcases, have paid to take them on board. If not, they tag them and they're taken away.

In Gatwick, this is done at the check-in desk.

I have had no issue with my slightly-larger-than-allowed knapsack/backpack. It easily fits under the seat in front of me. If it didn't, I wouldn't be able to access glasses, newspaper, book etc, during the flight.

Equally, I have seen those with large handbags, brief cases, etc. boarding without a problem.

I think that Ryanair have been very sensible about the enforcement of the new rule. Overall, boarding/disembarking is definitely faster, as a result.

D.

Ps. The "put your bag in the first bin available, then go and sit in row 23, or wherever" disease is both VERY Irish and very still with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Treehere

I am travelling to America this coming week and I'm wondering what the restrictions are on buying food such as chocolate externally from the airport and bringing it in luggage for the hold? I'd like bring over some fudge as gifts.

Anyone have any experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Any food will have to be declared to Customs. Did you look to see the limits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Treehere wrote: »
    I am travelling to America this coming week and I'm wondering what the restrictions are on buying food such as chocolate externally from the airport and bringing it in luggage for the hold? I'd like bring over some fudge as gifts.

Anyone have any experience with this?

No bother at all, as long as it isn't a kinder egg.

Advertisement