Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Treehere wrote: »
    I am travelling to America this coming week and I'm wondering what the restrictions are .....

Bringing Food into the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

dos anyone know if i take put fizzy drinks in checked luggage?

i will be travelling to the USA soon to see my and want to bring him some red lemonade as he cam't get any there!!!
    does anyone know if i can put this in my luggage or will customs rip open my bag and take it out?

Lots of people take a chance with bottles of whiskey etc. in checked baggage, I can't see any problems. Make sure it's a glass bottle because plastic could rupture with the pressure difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The baggage compartment is pressurised, so, yes.
    I'd put them in a plastic bag though, just in case the bag gets a whack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I've brought soda over plenty of times, but definitely in a sealed bag just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

I brought some plastic fizzy drink bottles back from Germany last year in my checked luggage. I put them in a plastic bag as a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

coylemj wrote: »
    Make sure it's a glass bottle because plastic could rupture with the pressure difference.
    If there's a pressure difference big enough to rupture a plastic bottle then you probably have more serious things to worry about than your fizzy drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Any issue in Dublin Airport security with bringing a power bank in hand luggage my daughter is travelling with Aer Lingus to Italy soon don’t want to buy a ln expensive one to end up being confiscated by security

Any issue in Dublin Airport security with bringing a power bank in hand luggage my daughter is travelling with Aer Lingus to Italy soon don’t want to buy a ln expensive one to end up being confiscated by security

It's not in the list of prohibited items (link below) so it's allowed and BTW in the cabin, it represents no more of a threat than a laptop battery.

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/prohibited-articles-list-passengers.pdf?sfvrsn=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Happens with a lot of electronic stuff Fred. I sometimes bring a small radio in my carry-on and the guy on the scanner will often ask one of his colleagues to take it out and inspect it, never takes more than a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I just came back into Ireland with 3 drone batteries, two camera batteries, two power packs, a laptop, a tablet and a mobile phone... Oh, and my headphones with teo batteries... All in my carry-on luggage. I was genuinely worried that they'd stop me...

Not a bother

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There's an issue with power banks in checked luggage but not in hand luggage (apart from maybe a closer inspection at security if you have a lot of electronics).

Anything electrical will get attention in China. They'll pull everything out and leave you trying to repack your luggage while holding up 500 people in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There's an issue with power banks in checked luggage but not in hand luggage (apart from maybe a closer inspection at security if you have a lot of electronics).

In fairness, I was advised to take all the batteries in my hand luggage and to sperate the drone from the batteries and put it in the hold...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    In fairness, I was advised to take all the batteries in my hand luggage and to sperate the drone from the batteries and put it in the hold...

Yeah there were prominent signs somewhere I was checking in recently saying that such items should be carried in hand luggage.

Bluefoam wrote: »

They're afraid of batteries spontaneously combusting in the hold. In the cabin it will be detected much quicker and they can deal with it using a fire extinguisher. A fire in the hold is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

What are the general rules for batteries on flights these days?

I know I have to being my powerbank with me in carry on. Same as my electronic cigarette and spare camera batteries.

What about a camera with the battery installed? Can I put that in checked luggage or do i have to carry that on board?

And laptops? Can I put one in checked luggage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Travelling to London on Ryanair with a poster tube (10cm x 1 m) for a conference.

Any one have any experience with this? will they take it off me at the gate for free, or have I to pay to check it in

Or if i pay for the 2 cabin bags, will they let me take it aboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

just online with ryanair chat.. they want me to check it in at a cost of €20 each way

absolute madness

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is bigger than their standard baggage size (even the biggest size). I seen a guy being charged to bring on a violin case at the gate (it was bigger than the max size)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi there,

Just wondering where you can buy a stubby rectangular bag that meets Ryanairs cabin bag criteria which must fit under the seat in front of you.

They're pretty small - 35cms wide, 20cm high and 20cm deep.

Need to buy 6 of them so a budget option would be great - Thinking Dunnes or Dealz more than Brown Thomas!!!

mm78dl.jpg

Thanks

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Would a small haversack type of back not be a better option.
    I have seen a lot of people use these on Ryanair flights

Hi there.

I have a 10kg wheelie case and just paid to upgrade to 'Priority' booking as I now need to bring a Laptop bag on board.

I have no smaller handbag sized bag (yet might bring one if suits) - but can I check the 10kg wheelie bag into the hold for free now like the all of the non-priority customers can or do I need to edit my booking in some other way?

Couldn't find this anywhere :confused:

- Just don't want to be charged €50 at the gate if I can fix it now online.

Also - Will I now have to go to a separate priority Q? Ideally I'd be with the wife and kids - helping herd the kids at boarding time?!?!

Thanks!

Thats what we ended up doing!

Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi there.

I have a 10kg wheelie case and just paid to upgrade to 'Priority' booking as I now need to bring a Laptop bag on board.

I have no smaller handbag sized bag (yet might bring one if suits) - but can I check the 10kg wheelie bag into the hold for free now like the all of the non-priority customers can or do I need to edit my booking in some other way?

Couldn't find this anywhere :confused:

- Just don't want to be charged €50 at the gate if I can fix it now online.

Also - Will I now have to go to a separate priority Q? Ideally I'd be with the wife and kids - helping herd the kids at boarding time?!?!

Thanks!

Maybe I’m mis understanding but can I ask why you paid for priority boarding if you want them to put your wheelie bag in the hold? The cabin luggage allowance for priority and non priority is exactly the same, the only advantage of priority is that you get to bring the wheelie case into the cabin instead of having to put it into the hold before you board the plane?

• Advertisement

Tks for reply - Its cause Laptop bag is going to be packed with laptop - Kids tablets, charges, and misc bits and bobs - was always going to be bigger than the 'smaller' bag size allowed and too fragile to be checked!

Advertisement