Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Tks for reply - Its cause Laptop bag is going to be packed with laptop - Kids tablets, charges, and misc bits and bobs - was always going to be bigger than the 'smaller' bag size allowed and too fragile to be checked!

You can only have 2 pieces of hand luggage so if you’re big laptop bag is bigger than the handbag size you can’t have a wheelie case as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    You can only have 2 pieces of hand luggage so if you’re big laptop bag is bigger than the handbag size you can’t have a wheelie case as well.

Cheers for the help - Just wanted to confirm that I can stow the wheelie bag in the hold then for free?

You can if you're non-priority so I assume its a non-issue.... just couldn't get confirmation.

Cheers for the help - Just wanted to confirm that I can stow the wheelie bag in the hold then for free?

You can if you're non-priority so I assume its a non-issue.... just couldn't get confirmation.

My understanding is you’ll have to pay to check a wheelie bag in. Passengers can only bring 2 pieces of hand luggage for free. 1 handbag size and 1 larger piece. If your laptop bag is bigger than handbag size that’s your 1 big piece. If you want to bring a second big piece (a wheelie case) you’ll have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

No - I just want it fired into the cargo hold?

No - I just want it fired into the cargo hold?

I’m not sure if I’m at crossed wires. My understanding of what you want to bring is a laptop bag that’s bigger than the handbag size allowed and a wheelie case. And you want to bring the large laptop bag on board and for them to put the wheelie bag in the hold for free?

You can’t have 2 large pieces of hand luggage so if you arrive at the gate with a large laptop bag and a wheelie case they could charge you to put the wheelie bag in the hold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

The only instant coffee I'll drink is millicano whole bean instant- will I be able bring a few tins of this on aer Lingus flight to Spain in my cabin bag? Am a coffaholic so don't want to spend 20 quid a day buying coffee in cafes. Also hoping to bring protein powder in my cabin bag...looks suspiciously like banana flavoured cocaine so may be a problem! Can barely afford flight and accommodation so will be eating as cheaply as possible there - am a fussy vegetarian so depend on these protein shakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

You can bring the wheelie bag on board once it the proper size as u have priority boarding abd yes there is a seperate queue fir priority

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I gave up flying with ryanair due to this priority boarding bollocks. I like carrying my camera/laptop and not having some baggage monkey chuck it about.

Flew with air lingus there last week. Laptop bag, small case and a bigger seat for less than the price of ryanair plus priority to Dublin.

Ah I'd usually only be flying Manchester to Dublin and it's a really short flight, I'd put up with a smaller seat size for the cheaper fare. I'm just not that bothered anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I gave up flying with ryanair due to this priority boarding bollocks. I like carrying my camera/laptop and not having some baggage monkey chuck it about.

Flew with air lingus there last week. Laptop bag, small case and a bigger seat for less than the price of ryanair plus priority to Dublin.

Ah I'd usually only be flying Manchester to Dublin and it's a really short flight, I'd put up with a smaller seat size for the cheaper fare. I'm just not that bothered anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

To be fair checking in carry on bags is now an issue at every airline, Ryanair just have a clear cut policy and everyone knows where they stand. I know Norwegian and Aer Lingus offer people to check their carry ons for free at the check in desk to avoid the gate hassle but it’s still an issue, the lockers simply do not have the capacity for every single person to bring a case or large bag onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Locker10a wrote: »
    To be fair checking in carry on bags is now an issue at every airline, Ryanair just have a clear cut policy and everyone knows where they stand. I know Norwegian and Aer Lingus offer people to check their carry ons for free at the check in desk to avoid the gate hassle but it’s still an issue, the lockers simply do not have the capacity for every single person to bring a case or large bag onboard.

I love that they give that option, we flew home from Barca in January, with about 8 bottles of whiskey and wine packed across 2 bags, without having paid for a check in bag, knowing that EI would give us the option of handing our bags over for free at the check in desk!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I with about 8 bottles of whiskey and wine packed across 2 bags,

security allowed you to bring through 8 litres of liquid?

EDIT - never mind I see you are talking about Aer Lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

seefin wrote: »
    The only instant coffee I'll drink is millicano whole bean instant- will I be able bring a few tins of this on aer Lingus flight to Spain in my cabin bag? Am a coffaholic so don't want to spend 20 quid a day buying coffee in cafes. Also hoping to bring protein powder in my cabin bag...looks suspiciously like banana flavoured cocaine so may be a problem! Can barely afford flight and accommodation so will be eating as cheaply as possible there - am a fussy vegetarian so depend on these protein shakes

Yes your coffee and protein powder will be fine. Myself and my boyfriend flew with them recently and he had protein powder too and they didn't bat an eyelid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Is there a limit on how many asprin you can carry on? I'm going on a long backpacking trip and want to bring about 40 tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Hi,

Can you take kids car seats on Ryanair free of charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Hi folks,
    I've booked a 20kg standard checked bag option with Aer Lingus but I'm thinking my bag actually looks quite large in size, but it will definitely be still under the weight allowance. Does the size of the bag matter or just the weight?

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I've booked a 20kg standard checked bag option with Aer Lingus but I'm thinking my bag actually looks quite large in size, but it will definitely be still under the weight allowance. Does the size of the bag matter or just the weight?
    From their website
    :- “ Maximum dimensions (length + width + height) = 158 cm (62").”
    Doesn’t make too much sense but I’m using my phone so may not have loaded the full statement, but airline websites tend to have this type of information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 cailin8

Has anyone any experience with how strictly Ryanair enforce the max size for cabin baggage for non-priority boarding? Mine exceeds the 35x20x20 but its a soft sided backpack that fits under the seat.
    I'm not sure whether it's worth paying for priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cailin8

Has anyone any experience with how strictly Ryanair enforce the max size for cabin baggage for non-priority boarding? Mine exceeds the 35x20x20 but its a soft sided backpack that fits under the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

Hi,

I have a Sports Bag with just inexpensive clothes without lock. (See image attached)

I'm going to travel to Portugal.

Is this bag accepted in the checked or in the hand baggage?
    I'm with Aerlingus.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

cailin8 wrote: »

I fly Ryanair to Gatwick most weeks. It’s usually for one night, so I only carry a knapsack. But, it’s large enough to take a change of clothes and a laptop. It’s a good bit larger than what they allow, but it still fits comfortably under the seat in front of me.

I arrive at the gate (I always check in via the Ryanair app on my phone, never at the airport, to avoid queuing and to have the boarding pass on my phone) with the bag over one shoulder, hidden behind my back.

It has never been taken from me.

As regards Ryanair; I have no issues with them. Yes, the odd late flight, but that’s my experience with Aer Lingus too. (I always compare before buying a ticket)

Ryanair put manners on Aer Lingus and allowed people (who weren’t being paid to fly by the State) of my generation to get off this island without having to remortgage their house or take the car ferry. For that, I’m grateful. Remember when Aer Lingus pilots lived in huge houses on the Hill of Howth? I do.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why come here when all the info is on the Aer Lingus website?

See here.

It's impossible to tell the size of the bag in the picture.

You're going to need to measure and weigh the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I'm planning a removable lining for an existing loose jacket with several pockets to do the same. DIY job.

I am going to get myself one of those jackets that can hold 10KG of stuff. Will pay for itself in no length.
    Honestly, I’m loving it that most airlines will check in cabin bags for free at the desk now, feels great to be hands free travelling through the airport especially as I’m rarely in a rush

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

Have the suitcases to be locked with Aerlingus? What are the dangers of not being locked?

• Advertisement

tendjose wrote: »
    Have the suitcases to be locked with Aerlingus? What are the dangers of not being locked?
    That’s entirely a personal choice depending what you have inside them. Obviously while rare, it’s possible that a great many staff memebers could technically access your bag, theft could happen. So it might be advised to remove or lock valuables before you check in a case. If your travelling to the states though you must use a TSA approved lock I believe.

Advertisement