Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

Locker10a wrote: »
    tendjose wrote: »
    Have the suitcases to be locked with Aerlingus? What are the dangers of not being locked?
    That’s entirely a personal choice depending what you have inside them. Obviously while rare, it’s possible that a great many staff memebers could technically access your bag, theft could happen. So it might be advised to remove or lock valuables before you check in a case. If your travelling to the states though you must use a TSA approved lock I believe.
    But from Ireland to Portugal Aerlingus doesn't require a lock right?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Locker10a wrote: »
    Have the suitcases to be locked with Aerlingus? What are the dangers of not being locked?
    That’s entirely a personal choice depending what you have inside them. Obviously while rare, it’s possible that a great many staff memebers could technically access your bag, theft could happen. So it might be advised to remove or lock valuables before you check in a case. If your travelling to the states though you must use a TSA approved lock I believe.
    But from Ireland to Portugal Aerlingus doesn't require a lock right?
    Well no, like I said it’s a personal choice nothing to do with the airline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And TSA keys are easily obtained by any nefarious staff members

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

L1011 wrote: »
    And TSA keys are easily obtained by any nefarious staff members

By anyone... Litterally anyone can get one and they can be bypassed with little effort.

Also, if the bag is locked, they can also just cut along the zip if they want to get into your bag... Then you'll have stolen stuff, ripped bag and probably lost most of your belongings in transit.

On a recent trip from Dubai, my bag arrived opened, but nothing missing... I'll never know what happened or why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Bluefoam wrote: »
    By anyone... Litterally anyone can get one and they can be bypassed with little effort.

Also, if the bag is locked, they can also just cut along the zip if they want to get into your bag... Then you'll have stolen stuff, ripped bag and probably lost most of your belongings in transit.

On a recent trip from Dubai, my bag arrived opened, but nothing missing... I'll never know what happened or why.

Not just cut along the zip. I saw a demonstration clip recently of a locked bag being opened, and closed again, without the lock being touched. If somebody wants into your bag or case it's not difficult.

FWIW TSA padlocks can be gotten in Eurogiant for €2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I will be travelling with Ryanair with only cabin baggage - however if I were to go to the checkin desk would the airline put the bags in the hold if asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Diceicle wrote: »
    I will be travelling with Ryanair with only cabin baggage - however if I were to go to the checkin desk would the airline put the bags in the hold if asked?

No need to go to the check-in. If you haven't paid for priority they will tag it at the gate and take it off you just before boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

You would have to pay to have it checked in

as mentioned you will have it taken for free at the gate

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

No, they will not take cabin bags at the check-in desk. When you purchased check-in bagage, they may sometimes offer to take the cabin bag too.

If you did not purchase priority they will take it off you at the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Thanks all.
    I normally take it at the gate but was wondering could I forego the hassle of dragging bags around were I to offer it to them at the desk - as I had been of the understanding that Ryanair wanted fewer bags in the cabin overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Thanks all.
    I normally take it at the gate but was wondering could I forego the hassle of dragging bags around were I to offer it to them at the desk - as I had been of the understanding that Ryanair wanted fewer bags in the cabin overall.

they do but they have to pay baggage handlers to deliver bags checked in at desk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Riskymove wrote: »
    they do but they have to pay baggage handlers to deliver bags checked in at desk
    and if half their passengers suddenly start using the checkin desks again, then they need HEAPS more check-in personnel to tag bags, and more desks, which also have a cost per desk (€25,885 per desk per year just in Dublin airport, for example)

I suppose theres also more chance of a bag going missing or to the wrong destination when checked in at the desk compared to someone bringing it to the stairs of the actual aircraft they are travelling on, and lost bags are a cost that Ryanair also wants to avoid.

Another issue is that a loaded bag without a passenger is a liability to the airline, as any unaccompanied bags need to be unloaded for security reasons, and this can delay boarding completing, which can mean a takeoff slot lost and substantial delays.
    If the passenger brings the bag to the plane then you are eliminating the chance that the bag goes on the plane without the passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dublinusername

Hey guys

Does anyone know if Ryanair will accept a roll up banner case as hand luggage? It's roughly 95cm long and 9cm wide.

I know it breaks the dimension rule they have for hand luggage but the banner is very light (3kg) and slim.

If not, I presume checking in the case will be fine? although it's fragile.

Google Image roll up banner case to see how it looks (can't do links).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Never had to think about this before, but if 2A and 3C (all under 8) are on a flight, do all 5 of them get to bring on a cabin bag FOC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

NIMAN wrote: »
    Never had to think about this before, but if 2A and 3C (all under 8) are on a flight, do all 5 of them get to bring on a cabin bag FOC?

I think every paying passenger, whenever we've had the kids on the plane they always get their own carry on.

Perfect, thanks.

The normal way is that infants (1 / 2 years old) dont have an allowance but the parent can bring an extra baby equipment bag, but above that kids can bring their own 10kg hand luggage, with the proviso that they can carry it (in reality, that the parents can carry it if needs be!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Also they could take the bag off you and put it with the rest of the luggage, pending on the flight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Best bet is to ask Ryanair directly on their twitter account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yes (but may have to stow below as noted).

I've done it nor problems in the past, but I wouldn't be presuming you'll 'get away' with it as it won't fit in the sizer. If it's got shoulder straps, best bet would to have it casually slung behind your back at the gate - mightn't be noticed that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Ryanair flight not long back, youngster had one of those wheel on "Trunky" cases - crew wanted to put it in the hold.

Meltdown!!!

If it’s Ryanair, it’ll most likely have to be stowed, unless priority boarding is purchased.

If it’s Ryanair, it’ll most likely have to be stowed, unless priority boarding is purchased.
    almost definitely will have to be stowed, unless it fits under the seat in front, which a trunki wont.

If travelling with large handluggage on Ryanair, you have to presume that it will be stowed so if with a kid you should just prepare in advance and have a small rucksack with the essentials to bring on board siphoned off from the main hand luggage.
    Even if you do get to bring the trunki on board, is it worth the hassle of a child meltdown and confrontation with airline staff (noting that abroad they are often external staff on contract so are loath to bend the rules, I presume in case Ryanair fines them for not doing their job right)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

almost definitely will have to be stowed, unless it fits under the seat in front, which a trunki wont.

If travelling with large handluggage on Ryanair, you have to presume that it will be stowed so if with a kid you should just prepare in advance and have a small rucksack with the essentials to bring on board siphoned off from the main hand luggage.
    Even if you do get to bring the trunki on board, is it worth the hassle of a child meltdown and confrontation with airline staff (noting that abroad they are often external staff on contract so are loath to bend the rules, I presume in case Ryanair fines them for not doing their job right)

I never for a second thought that the Trunki would be allowed but once the kid kicked off the mum and dad doubled down and kicked right off themselves!

I thought for a minute they'd get banned from boarding!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ckeng

I checked one going to the states about 6 months ago. It got through one leg unscathed but got absolutely mangled on a connecting flight. I was laughing at it on the luggage belt until I realised it was mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dublinusername

I'll be travelling with a team so I could easily just put under our row of seats. I saw someone else ask them on twitter months ago and they said it's too big.

We'll have two banners, so maybe tape em together (making sure all the parts are taped together inside also) and just check it in?

Is it printed yet? If not, could you get it printed on canvas and just fold it into your carry on case? I did it recently with connecting flights (for a poster) and it worked out well.

• Advertisement

Its with Easyjet.

I was thinking more soft backpacks rather than Trunki type, hard cases.

Advertisement