Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

If I attempt to bring a second carry on bag will it be put into the hold just like Ryanair's policy?

I'm worried I would have to check it in and pay for it!
    Also the plane is a small aircraft (Stobart Air), I've never actually departed from cork to Edinburgh using aer lingus so i'm wondering will the plane be fully occupied or not which will have an effect on the cabin luggage storage space in the overhead lockers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The overhead lockers are really small on these planes. The weight and number of bags you can take are different to "normal" Aer Lingus flights, you'll have to look closely at your ticket conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Hi,

I am going away next week and only bringing hand luggage ( RyanAir trying to charge 50 quid each way to check in a bag no thanks ) and I need to bring prescription medication with me, can anyone advise if I just bring a copy of my prescription with my doctors signature will they allow me to carry it on the plane?

If there is no way of bringing it on then I will just have to suck it up and pay RyanAir!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Provided it’s legal in the country you are going it’s fine.

OSI wrote: »
    Why are you expecting issues with the medication? Very common for people to travel with medication in their hand luggage with no notice from their GP.

I have just never traveled with medication before and I wasn't sure how it worked. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have just never traveled with medication before and I wasn't sure how it worked. Thanks

For starters, if there is going to be an issue, it will be with airport security and not Ryanair. And if your medication is all pills and no liquids, you won't have a problem. Leave the pills in your carry-on bag as it goes through the scanner.

You would only need to bring the original prescription if your medication involves a liquid in a container greater than 100ml, this is an allowed exception to the normal rules on liquids.

Even if you were paying to check in a bag, I would advise you to bring the medication with you onto the plane in case your bag goes AWOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Never had an issue and as recommended always carry your meds in carry on.
    Some of our sons medication is liquid and we have a letter from GP. Strangely enough we have never being asked for it.

Thanks for the replies everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

As Ted1 pointed out check the country you are traveling to if it's in the EU you should be fine. If its opiate based or re-packed down out of the original containers bring the scrip would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I will be traveling with medication that cannot go in the hold because it will freeze, so my cabin bag needs to stay with me. Do Ryanair show any sympathy towards those sort of things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Gael23 wrote: »
    I will be traveling with medication that cannot go in the hold because it will freeze, so my cabin bag needs to stay with me. Do Ryanair show any sympathy towards those sort of things?

If you don’t have priority boarding you can still bring a small carry on (large handbag/ small backpack that’ll fit under the seat in front) with you onto the plane. It’s the larger wheelie cases that are taken and put into the hold. Could you put your medication into the smaller of your 2 bags?

You’ll find more info here. Or just ring them for clarification. https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage/What-liquids-can-I-carry-onboard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I know once I have a doctors letter I can bring it onboard. But I’m told Ryanair planes can’t accomodate all passengers cabin luggage in the overhead containers so put excess bags in the hold.

I know once I have a doctors letter I can bring it onboard. But I’m told Ryanair planes can’t accomodate all passengers cabin luggage in the overhead containers so put excess bags in the hold.

That’s true. But, you are allowed bring ONE bag onboard with you. I’ve brought a large handbag and a friend a smallish backpack on no bother. Our larger case was checked on at the gate. Ryanair really aren’t the ogres people make them out to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Flying with Aer Lingus regional next month. Cabin baggage is restricted to 7kg with smaller dimensions than “normal” flights.

Does anyone know from experience, if I rock up with a standard 10kg cabin bag will they just take it off me at the gate and check it in, or will I have to fork out a load of cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

You should be fine. They can be stricter at the UK airports where the staff are from a handling agent instead of Aer Lingus. I've never seen anyone actually charged though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

last time i flew regional, they allowed everyone on in dublin, but the return flight they checked everyones bag and enforced the rules 100%.

So a bag that was allowed over didnt get back etc. As i was grand i don't know if it was just put the hold or if there was a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Flying with Aer Lingus regional next month. Cabin baggage is restricted to 7kg with smaller dimensions than “normal” flights.

Does anyone know from experience, if I rock up with a standard 10kg cabin bag will they just take it off me at the gate and check it in, or will I have to fork out a load of cash?

Another issue here is the size of the bag, carry on bags that are the “correct” size for normal Aer Lingus plane are too big for the overhead compartment on the regional planes..

I have seen people getting charged for the carryon bag been overweight for the flight in Dublin, Edinburgh and Bristol!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Yes the overhead compartments on the regional flights are much smaller than usual. A small hard case won't fit. if you bring a soft bag on the flight, the weight shouldn't matter too much as long as you can squash the bag a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Hi,

I am flying to Brussels on Friday and was wondering if I'll be allowed to bring a 5 ml small bottle of medication in my bag. I am just bringing a small bag on the plane. The bottle is a nasal spray that I take every day and I'd like to bring it with me.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hi,

I am flying to Brussels on Friday and was wondering if I'll be allowed to bring a 5 ml small bottle of medication in my bag. I am just bringing a small bag on the plane. The bottle is a nasal spray that I take every day and I'd like to bring it with me.

Thanks.

As it's smaller than 100 ml there's no issue. Just put it in a clear plastic bag with any other liquids and take them out at security screening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

As it's smaller than 100 ml there's no issue. Just put it in a clear plastic bag with any other liquids and take them out at security screening.

Thanks very much Killbill. I'll do as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

Hey guys,

We are travelling to Asia soon and my wife wants to take some perfume and make up type items for presents for her family/in-laws.

I have only ever bought the odd bottle of perfume for my wife in the past at duty free so not sure if my wife buy say 6-8 bottles of 100ml perfume and take them with her the plane? It will not be duty free, she just buying them when on promotion! Are there still limits on how much perfume you can buy and travel with?

Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Put them in the checked baggage. Won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

spurious wrote: »
    Put them in the checked baggage. Won't be an issue.

Thanks, I always thought there were limits or maybe less strict now :D. Just frightened in case I spend a small fortune and then have them taken off us. Thanks, I will put them in our check in luggage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a limit of 1000ml if you bring them in hand luggage.
    Check if there are any restrictions on import to your particular destination, but leaving Ireland it won't be a problem.
    https://dutyfree.buzz/allowance
    I would bring receipts to show they were not bought in the duty free, just in case it's an issue. Belt and braces.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

spurious wrote: »
    I would bring receipts to show they were not bought in the duty free, just in case it's an issue. Belt and braces.

Arriving in Asia, nobody is going to care where they were bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

I'm flying out to Germany on Tuesday and I have my cabin bag (a backpack) and a larger bag that will go into the hold. However, I'd also like to bring along a foldable chair with me (going to Gamescom where there will be long lines, and due to my condition I can't stand still for very long without feeling faint and dizzy), and it unfortunately won't fit into my luggage bag. I know Ryanair have a second cabin bag option but their size limits are too small for the tripod-alike folded chair I bought today.

Ryanair's checked baggage policy allows for a size of up to 55cm x 40cm x 20cm and a weight of 10kg. The chair folded up comes to 84cm x 11cm x 10cm with a weight of 2.2kg.

What are my options? I'd like to avoid the €55 charge if possible. Note - I don't have to bring it with me in the cabin, any other options that avoids the charge would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

If you are paying for a hold bag in any case can you borrow a bigger rucksack/back-pack that will take the chair? I think the measurements you gave are for cabin rather than check -in baggage? Also, I thought I read somewhere that Ryanair have scrapped the 2nd cabin bag again anyway but I could be wrong. It's possible they'll just let you bring the chair on but with Ryanair I wouldn't chance it. Too late now but for again you possibly could buy the chair at your destination and post home or if cheap just give away

Advertisement