Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Hey Corca, thanks for replying.

I don't have another bag sadly, and don't know anyone who does. I have a backpack I'll be taking on the cabin and a luggable larger bag that sadly just isn't tall enough to carry the chair. Ryanair's baggage policy can be read here -

Baggage

They say you can bring one cabin bag of up to a certain measurement, and one bag goes in the hold for free. You can pay like €7 for to bring two cabin bags, but again the chair is taller than their allowable measurements (it must fit under the chair). Incidentally we do have a spare seat, one person dropped out so their allowable cabin bag is technically free.. I wonder if I can use that?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Only other thing I can think of is to strap the chair onto the check in backpack with parcel tape and pay at airport to have the lot shrink-wrapped so it makes 1 bag. Or if your local pound shop has an enormous version of those check shopping bags with a zip you could put your back-pack and the chair in and tape it up with parcel tape. I have one of those bags myself but wouldn't be able to get it to you by Tuesday unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Buy a cheap folding chair over there. Shouldn't be too difficult to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Buy a cheap folding chair over there. Shouldn't be too difficult to find.

We won't have the time sadly, we arrive in Germany at 4pm and have to get a train to Essen and then a tram to the apartment to check in, by the time that'll be done there'll be no businesses open. And it's no good in the morning since we have to get to the convention centre as early as possible.
    Only other thing I can think of is to strap the chair onto the check in backpack with parcel tape and pay at airport to have the lot shrink-wrapped so it makes 1 bag. Or if your local pound shop has an enormous version of those check shopping bags with a zip you could put your back-pack and the chair in and tape it up with parcel tape. I have one of those bags myself but wouldn't be able to get it to you by Tuesday unfortunately!

An excellent idea, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If it 84cm long, theres no way they'll allow it on as cabin baggage. Even their checked-in baggage maximum length is 81cm. The shrink wrapped package might be you best bet alright, with the chair packed diagonally to fit within the 81cm max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Azhrei wrote: »
    Incidentally we do have a spare seat, one person dropped out so their allowable cabin bag is technically free.. I wonder if I can use that?

If the person doesn't check in and travel, the seat is counted as unsold, and can be used for standby travel. Baggage allowance is per person, not per seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Here's your solution
    https://pwg.ie/product/sitpack/
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Trompette

Hello there,

I'll fly Dublin to Budapest next month with Ryanair. I know with Aer Lingus there is no problem.
    I try to understand there rules about the baggages but can't be sure. Could you help me?
    I bought a standard return without any add-on.
    I will carry my beloved trumpet in a case 55x32x17 cm and I don't know if I can take her with me in the overhead compartment. I don't want her in hold.

If you have any experience, please let me know.
    Thanks

Trompette wrote: »
    Hello there,

I'll fly Dublin to Budapest next month with Ryanair. I know with Aer Lingus there is no problem.
    I try to understand there rules about the baggages but can't be sure. Could you help me?
    I bought a standard return without any add-on.
    I will carry my beloved trumpet in a case 55x32x17 cm and I don't know if I can take her with me in the overhead compartment. I don't want her in hold.

If you have any experience, please let me know.
    Thanks

SHe fits within the limits for cabin baggage which are (taken from Ryanair website)

"A larger
    bag
    – 55cm x 40cm x 20cm with a 10kg weight limit"

However, unless you pay to bring that on board as a cabin bag by buying Priority Boarding, they will put it into the hold free of charge.

Thanks TomOnBoard,

As I don't want Priority Boarding, this is NOT free of charge if I want to keep it with me.
    They try to take advantage of every situation to nick/pinch us the least euro. (I think you understand what I mean)
    I hate this company.

• Advertisement

Thanks TomOnBoard,

As I don't want Priority Boarding, this is NOT free of charge if I want to keep it with me.
    They try to take advantage of every situation to nick/pinch us the least euro. (I think you understand what I mean)
    I hate this company.

If you don't want her in the hold, then the only option is Priority Boarding to keep her with you in the cabin. Even then the regulations say that if you have Priority Boarding you may still have to put it in the hold for what they call "operational reasons" whatever that means.

Right so €5 or €6 X2 to add to the price... and you a not assured to get it in the cabin
    With Aer Lingus it is free...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Right so €5 or €6 X2 to add to the price... and you a not assured to get it in the cabin

If the overall price with AL is cheaper, go for that option. You have to compare the choices that best suit you when trying to maximise a budget price.

For some routes, they actually put it up to €6/€7 each way. The question of not being assured is probably a 'get-out' clause for them. I'd read this as meaning that in the vast bulk of cases, you'd get her into the cabin but if there is an issue (not described) that they have to put her in the hold, then in she goes unless you successfully throw a 'hissy-fit'.

As to whether this is fair or not, or whether it is worse than Aer lingus or not is entirely up to you to decide. I'd say that, in general, I find Ryanair base fares cheaper than Aer Lingus, but you have to understand their pricing model and act accordingly, because they have extras at every step after you book your base journeys. Once you decide which carrier is best suited to your needs, buy your ticket, enjoy your flight and safe travel. There's absolutely no point in picking holes after the event when all these charges are laid out on their website before you make your booking. I use Ryanair as though its a bus that gives me flights into Europe for much less than the cost of many train journeys in Ireland. I plug in my earbuds, ignore all the ould palaver around their herding arrangements, crap customer service and all that and just get where I want to go. I NEVER check in a bag, NEVER buy their much heralded scratch-cards or such like (primarily because I've yet to see any evidence that the charities mentioned get much in the way of a take from their sale, but I'm open to being corrected on this.)

Buy your Priority Boarding. I'll cost you the price of a good quality beer in any European capital for each leg of your journey, and enjoy the peace of having your instrument above your head..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I travel with medication that cannot go in the hold or it will freeze so I took no chances with Ryanair and booked priority boarding.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I travel with medication that cannot go in the hold or it will freeze so I took no chances with Ryanair and booked priority boarding.

I used to travel with a CPAP machine. I had a few nightmares with Ryanair coming out of Marseille and Nice, despite it being fully kosher according to their website. On 2 separate occasions, I was offered a choice between getting on-board and leaving my machine behind, or missing my flight! Disgraceful ignorance that forced me back out through security to get to the 'office' to get it cleared with the Captain! On the 1st occasion, I lost the 2x1L bottles of Pastis that I had bought in Duty Free and when I re-presented at the security, away they were taken! One of the worst experiences of my travelling life. I've never forgiven Ryanair for it, but I still use them but make sure I give then Fcuk all revenue whenever I can help it. I find that travelling with AL is in a different league, although I had a few shoddy experiences there for a year or two mid-decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod-note:

adding in --> https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1032717144574910465 <--

from #RTE, regarding Ryanair and carry-on luggage.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Hope this is the right place. Is a clear frosted bag allowed for liquids?
    Any help appreciated as I don’t have time to get anything else.

Also if not are the plastic bags still available at the airport before security?

Lau2976 wrote: »

Also if not are the plastic bags still available at the airport before security?

Frosted bags are no good.

Last time I was there, lots of bags were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Lau2976 wrote: »

There is a stipulation on size and they must be able to be sealed. definitely frosted is NOT allowed as screeners need to be able to view the contents without opening same. Most Irish airports provide same at NIL charge but I have seen in Berlin airport a vending machine looking for €2 for a 4 x bag set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Masala wrote: »
    There is a stipulation on size and they must be able to be sealed. definitely frosted is NOT allowed as screeners need to be able to view the contents without opening same. Most Irish airports provide same at NIL charge but I have seen in Berlin airport a vending machine looking for €2 for a 4 x bag set
    I'm always intrigued when I see multi-packs of these bags for sale (although I haven't seen them for sale for quite a while, to be fair) when you're only allowed one per person!

For the last years there have always been plenty of bags available in the area before the scanners in Dublin airport - but be warned, they're small! (1litre capacity, and you must be able to seal them - I had to ditch a load of stuff once because my own bag was bigger than the allowed size and they made me transfer my stuff to one of theirs)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am trying to process the new rules in my daft head now!

So, you either buy priority boarding for E6, or pay the same, or more to put your hand luggage in the hold. Is this correct?

So.... earlier booking essential, otherwise the cheaper (I know it's only E2 now, but that can change!) option of priority is limited to 95 passengers. And if you book late, and the 95 overhead bin spaces are gone, you must pay for hold luggage.

Am I right or wrong here? Many thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I am trying to process the new rules in my daft head now!

So, you either buy priority boarding for E6, or pay the same, or more to put your hand luggage in the hold. Is this correct?

So.... earlier booking essential, otherwise the cheaper (I know it's only E2 now, but that can change!) option of priority is limited to 95 passengers. And if you book late, and the 95 overhead bin spaces are gone, you must pay for hold luggage.

Am I right or wrong here? Many thanks folks.

That seems to be the size of it alright.

They're making a virtue of the fact that instead of only having the option of a 15kg check-in bag for loads of shekels, you now have a much cheaper option of a 10kg bag for €8 so you'll "save money". I suppose if you squint hard through sunglasses you might conspire to see it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That seems to be the size of it alright.

They're making a virtue of the fact that instead of only having the option of a 15kg check-in bag for loads of shekels, you now have a much cheaper option of a 10kg bag for €8 so you'll "save money". I suppose if you squint hard through sunglasses you might conspire to see it that way.

:p

Put all the weight into the permitted carry on bag so, which I understand will be
    a tad bigger than before.

Oh here we go again!

Oh here we go again!

An air traveller would need a constantly updating phBloodyD to keep up with Ryanair's fiddling about with fees and charges.... Jeez!! As if travelling by air wasnt stressful enough with all the sh&^e punters are put through!

While I use RYA when I absolutely HAVE TO, more and more I am willing to pay extra to fly from T2 in Dublin and avoid all the passenger de-humanizing that appears to form part and parcel of their business model.

I see a right mess at Boarding gate when someone is queuing in the Non Priority and he has the 2 bags with him. I presume it will be the Boarding Staff who will have to pull him up and ask for proof that 2nd bag paid for. When pax says no... they then must ask for €6 off him. Then the arguments start and tempers fly. Pax then hands over a credit card to eventually pay (or a €100 note)... and staff rightly stumped .... will all Boarding gates be equipped with payment facilities??? Not likely!!!!!!

Them multiply above by 30-50 pax..... plane lucky to leave 2 hours later!!!!

Looking forward to seeing it backfiring big time on Ryanair....so much for the recent 'we doing better' attitude. Same old Ryanair... always out to screw everyone from staff to passengers to airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I see a right mess at Boarding gate when someone is queuing in the Non Priority and he has the 2 bags with him. I presume it will be the Boarding Staff who will have to pull him up and ask for proof that 2nd bag paid for. When pax says no... they then must ask for €6 off him. Then the arguments start and tempers fly. Pax then hands over a credit card to eventually pay (or a €100 note)... and staff rightly stumped .... will all Boarding gates be equipped with payment facilities??? Not likely!!!!!!

Them multiply above by 30-50 pax..... plane lucky to leave 2 hours later!!!!

Looking forward to seeing it backfiring big time on Ryanair....so much for the recent 'we doing better' attitude. Same old Ryanair... always out to screw everyone from staff to passengers to airports.

The price for gate checking a bag will be €25. But like you said, you can bet there will be issues like this as people have gotten used to the old policy. It's going to be a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Pax then hands over a credit card to eventually pay (or a €100 note)... and staff rightly stumped .... will all Boarding gates be equipped with payment facilities??? Not likely!!!!!!

All they need to do is make sure staff are equipped with something like this and say "card payments only".

The real question then becomes security.

I have a feeling this might have been their endgame all along with the two bags policy— get people used to checking the second bag free, then suddenly introduce a charge for it. I always travel priority, so this probably won't make much difference for me, but if it causes delays it'll be a real pain and might even make RA step back from it.

DivingDuck wrote: »
    All they need to do is make sure staff are equipped with something like this and say "card payments only".

The real question then becomes security.

I have a feeling this might have been their endgame all along with the two bags policy— get people used to checking the second bag free, then suddenly introduce a charge for it. I always travel priority, so this probably won't make much difference for me, but if it causes delays it'll be a real pain and might even make RA step back from it.

........ aaaaahhh but the next step will be to reduce the Priority bags back to one and you pay for the 2nd!!!!
    Or they up the price of the Priority altogether???

...... you are in their sights!!!! No one is safe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm doing a day trip with Ryanair next week. Prior to the cabin bag change I was able to bring a shopping bag with me on the way back. There's no guarantee I'll go shopping in the time I have to kill in the morning and even if I do there's no guarantee I'll buy anything but am I best to just buy priority boarding on the way back just in case. Wouldn't want a shopping bag going in the hold

Advertisement