Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Masala wrote: »
    ........ aaaaahhh but the next step will be to reduce the Priority bags back to one and you pay for the 2nd!!!!
    Or they up the price of the Priority altogether???

...... you are in their sights!!!! No one is safe!

They will bring in a new level of priority. Aer lingus should follow their seating structure. I am fell up of families comingon aer lingus flights looking for seats together and staff moving people who paid in advance. I just refused to move now. As a family we pay for our seats in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Masala wrote: »
    Or they up the price of the Priority altogether???

...... you are in their sights!!!! No one is safe!

I feel like they already did this recently?

You're not wrong, though.

I don't mind companies looking for ways to increase revenue— that's the point of them, making money. I only object when it cuts into the customer experience. RA is not the only outfit in town for any of the destinations I fly to; I literally only choose them because either they're cheaper or the flight time is more convenient for me. I know I will be getting a low-budget experience with RA, but if there are delays or I can't keep my bits and pieces with me in the cabin where I can keep an eye on them, I'll turn to another airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I’ve seen it mentioned that Aer Lingus are pretty good for letting people check a cabin bag pre security. Is there a charge for this? Or is it more of an at the discretion of the person your dealing with type of things? I’ll have another prepaid checked bag. If it makes a difference I have priority boarding.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

DivingDuck wrote: »
    I feel like they already did this recently?

You're not wrong, though.

I don't mind companies looking for ways to increase revenue— that's the point of them, making money. I only object when it cuts into the customer experience. RA is not the only outfit in town for any of the destinations I fly to; I literally only choose them because either they're cheaper or the flight time is more convenient for me. I know I will be getting a low-budget experience with RA, but if there are delays or I can't keep my bits and pieces with me in the cabin where I can keep an eye on them, I'll turn to another airline.

Well this is it, in my mind price is king. The €12 extra for having to book priority on a return flight is a PITA but I'll now just add this in when comparing prices (handily, Google flights have now added a "overhead baggage access" toggle to their search for airlines that charge extra for this meaning they'll add on the extra charge in the search taking the leg work out of adding it in your head). If they keep adding supplemental charges for basic baggage, priority etc to the point that the competition is cheaper, then I'll book with the competition, simple.

As is stands, I'm still seeing a big difference in fares vs the competition with the extra fees baked in for recent flights I've been looking at/booked. If they can keep the fares low enough that there remains a big enough price difference then I'll continue to book with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Seems they have a bag size checker stand, https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-talk/ryanair-are-we-witnessing-the-slow-death-of-free-hand-luggage-37269393.html

More ways to stress the traveller. Getting that size bag is a serious challenge as most rucksacks are larger and some are rigid.

Anyone found a reasonable rucksack that would meet the size. Would make one seriously consider going by boat if not paying priority boarding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Seems they have a bag size checker stand, https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-talk/ryanair-are-we-witnessing-the-slow-death-of-free-hand-luggage-37269393.html

More ways to stress the traveller. Getting that size bag is a serious challenge as most rucksacks are larger and some are rigid.

Anyone found a reasonable rucksack that would meet the size. Would make one seriously consider going by boat if not paying priority boarding

Where can I get a boat to Poland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

:D:D:

You definitely are a Priority traveler! How much would a check in bag cost to / back from Poland BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I can't remember having my bag checked for size. Simple trick, just ensure you stand between the staff member and your bag. If it's on your back they don't really register it and won't ask its size or to put it on the hold.

boombang wrote: »
    I can't remember having my bag checked for size. Simple trick, just ensure you stand between the staff member and your bag. If it's on your back they don't really register it and won't ask its size or to put it on the hold.

I hear what you're saying and have done same myself, however I fear we are back to the days of Ryanair staff prowling around the lounge area before the gate opens tagging bags and checking before the person hits the gate. Loads of time to do it and make a small fortune off travelers picking up their duty free shopping as additional to their small bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Libb1964

The 2 bag rule allows a second bag 35x20x20. The new rule from November allows 1 bag free 40x25x20. Most small rucksacks are about this size and plenty big enough for a weekend away. We had an email from Ryanair as we are flying in November.

Libb1964 wrote: »
    The 2 bag rule allows a second bag 35x20x20. The new rule from November allows 1 bag free 40x25x20. Most small rucksacks are about this size and plenty big enough for a weekend away. We had an email from Ryanair as we are flying in November.

Incorrect, the new rule for non-priority boarding and cabin baggage is a free 35x20x20 bag and many ruck sacks are actually larger than that. https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/plan-trip/flying-with-us/baggage-policy

I can't send a link as I am a new user, but if you search Ryanair baggage policy November 2018 you will find the new size. Under section 5 it will also tell you you are allowed a slightly bigger size.

I can't send a link as I am a new user, but if you search Ryanair baggage policy November 2018 you will find the new size. Under section 5 it will also tell you you are allowed a slightly bigger size.

not according to the picture below, if you waltz up with a bag / rucksack larger than 35x20x20 then that bag has to go into the hold. If that rucksack is carrying your laptop and camera you obviously need to remove them and let the bag go into the hold. It will be messy.

Agent 47 is right. You’re ok if you’ve bought priority but if not the bigger bag will be checked in at the gate for a hefty €50. You can book it in when checking in online for a charge of €10 each way. You then have to leave bag at baggage drop desk.

You are reading the current policy. As I suggested try Googling with November 2018 baggage policy. I really am only trying to be helpful and have received the email from Ryanair about the free size of 40x25x20.

You are reading the current policy. As I suggested try Googling with November 2018 baggage policy. I really am only trying to be helpful and have received the email from Ryanair about the free size of 40x25x20.

You are correct from 1 Nov, non priority customers can use a bag size you quote, or check in a 10kg for 8€.

You definitely are a Priority traveler! How much would a check in bag cost to / back from Poland BTW?

Always book priority and as I travel to Poland a lot, we always book a bag for the home journey with nice vodka and cigarettes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Libb1964 is correct about the small bag dimensions being increased from November- see

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/new-bag-policy-from-november-will-cut-check-bag-fees-reduce-boarding-delays/
    wrote:

5. What are the small bag dimensions?

We have increased the size of the free small carry-on bag by over 40% from 35 x 20 x 20cm (14,000 cm³) to 40 x 20 x 25cm (20,000 cm³).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Have to tip my hat to Ryanair,who sold me the American Tourister Summer Voyager,which is the most versatile and functional bag I've used.

https://ryanair.bags.travel/uk/en/american-tourister-summer-voyager-3-way-boarding-bag-volt-black/85464-5197.html?cgid=sun%2Fcity#start=1

Holds everything I need for a four day stay...AND a Laptop !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I hear what you're saying and have done same myself, however I fear we are back to the days of Ryanair staff prowling around the lounge area before the gate opens tagging bags and checking before the person hits the gate. Loads of time to do it and make a small fortune off travelers picking up their duty free shopping as additional to their small bag.

I have seen that prowling to tag bags and put them in the hold. I thought this was for free. Are they now ensuring people pay for a such tagged bags if they are oversized?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

boombang wrote: »

I have seen that prowling to tag bags and put them in the hold. I thought this was for free. Are they now ensuring people pay for a such tagged bags if they are oversized?
    The policy has totoally changed, re read over the past few pages

I stand corrected. The free bag is slightly (about 2inches) bigger than currently allowed. Any other bags have to be checked in before going to the gate, or an extra charge will apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭turkeyboy1990

I’m in a sticky situation, i have an incoming flight on stobart air.

I’ve purchased a 25kg check in bag online and several days later I decided an additional bag for €10 check in was required without really thinking.

Today i came to a conclusion that out of my two check in bags that one of them overpasses the total 25kg weight allowance... so i went straight to the aer lingus website and browsed around to purchase extra weight only to find out that there’s only a 40kg option remaining for €25.

Does that mean if i buy the 40kg option for €25 i can accumulate a total check in weight of 65kg?

Need help please thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭chancer007

Hi,
    Anyone come across a decent bag that files new ryanair dimnsnions 40 x 20 x 25cm ?

Thanks

I've a small Adidas backpack but the likes of the yellow thing here looks decent......

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/kit-and-accessories/bags-for-new-ryanair-luggage-baggage-policy/

arezzo-cabin-max.jpg?imwidth=1240

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

chancer007 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Anyone come across a decent bag that files new ryanair dimnsnions 40 x 20 x 25cm ?

Thanks

REGATTA EASYPACK PACKAWAY 25L BACKPACK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regatta-Easypack-Packaway-25L-Backpack-Rucksack-Bag-EU132/183269036814?epid=735416420&hash=item2aabaf930e:m:mEYKKPa2L3nJKwp51gz6_dA

various colours available and will fit in the new sizing frame. very light and rolls up in to a zipped egg with the sewn-in pocket of the bag turning in to the holder for the rolled up bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

The yellow one above is a CabinMax bag, as is the one linked below. Both were perfectly sized for the maximum allowed second carry-on bag previously so are a little smaller than the currrent size. Suprisingly spacious though.

https://cabinmax.com/stowaway/187-oxford-stowaway-0702679484630.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Booked a flight to Barcelona, yesterday.
    Couldn't follow the bagage set up, so I booked 1* 40kg in 2 bags, each way.
    Assumed that 24 hour cancellation policy would apply.
    Contacted Customer care.
    Booked Baggage cannot be changed, but can be added to !!
    I wanted 2*25kg out and 3*25kg back.

Any suggestions, or am I just stuck ... ?

Thanks

Jay

Advertisement