Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

Hi.

Hard to say as it's gradual .maybe a day or 2.

Hi.

Hard to say as it's gradual .maybe a day or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Thanks disco, it arrived yesterday so I took a dose last night and another this morning.

I keep a diary of inflammation flare ups so it should be pretty easy for me to detect a pattern change. I flare up frequently enough for it to be detectable within a month if things are different.

I find keeping the dose under the tongue for 30 seconds difficult!

Try to keep under tongue for a minute no 30 secs.
    The blood vessels directly absorb it here.
    The direction process is not as effective if you swallow it right away.
    After a min just drink some water to rinse mouth out.
    The cbd relieve stuff from the store is a lot milder tasting for some reason.
    I like to try the Irish produced stuff from Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

I've been told that an extra allowance on the 10kg cabin baggage is permissible for those with medical requirements.

I have to take a number of items with me for my trip - ranging from liquids, sachets and foods.

Is there a supplementary allowance for medicines over the limit?

I'm considering flying with Ryanair and AerLingus.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I've been told that an extra allowance on the 10kg cabin baggage is permissible for those with medical requirements.

There may be for equipment like an oxygen tank but my reading of the Aer Lingus policy is that you won't get any additional weight allowance for the kind of stuff you will be carrying. By the looks of it, if it can go in a regular cabin bag then there's nothing special about it and you have to stay within the regular limits.

You will obviously have to satisfy the security people that the liquids are medically prescribed .

To get any kind of a special allowance from Aer Lingus, you would have to fall into the 'special assistance' category .......

Passengers are required to provide a minimum of 48 hours notice of their intention to travel with medical equipment or medical items. Please see our Special Assistance section or contact our Special Assistance department for more details.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/special-items/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Medical devices (ie a cpap machine) can be exempt and don't count as carry-on baggage allowance but you need a "passport" for them. Basically a doctor's letter that says they need to travel in the cabin. Not sure multiple medicines would count...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

As the title says, travel pillow recommendation for long haul flight, ease of portability would be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-travel-pillow

wirecutter is what I use to see whats out there its a bit american but good for all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

trellheim wrote:
    wirecutter is what I use to see whats out there its a bit american but good for all that
    Found that site yesterday, thanks, but like everything, one size doesn't fit all, was hoping for feedback here on boards from personal experience, had found one might be an option, it's made from latex which is a natural material, called the z9 latex pillow. Looks weird with the hood up. Not sure about the support it gives though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Travel Pillow

https://trtltravel.com/ I have used this one on long haul, comfy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I find this one as the most comfortable due to the flat back https://go-travelproducts.com/us/health-comforts/double-decker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Travel Pillow

https://trtltravel.com/ I have used this one on long haul, comfy enough

I got one of those for South Africa earlier this year and hated it. Actually hurt if I actually nodded off. Gone in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭John.G

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Liquids are taken off you by security at the airport, not the airline.

So if you book a check-in 10kg bag in advance, you can put what you like in it (subject to T&C's), it's checked in before you hit security, happy days.

If you bring a 10kg bag along to the gate, you won't get any liquids etc over 100ml through security, and if you haven't booked priority boarding you'll be charged a whack of money (not sure how much), and that bag will go into the hold.

If you've booked priority boarding, you can bring your 10kg bag on board, but you won't have got any liquids over 100mls through security.

That's my understanding of it anyway!

If you book priority, can you drop your 10 KG bag at "bag drop" (Ryan Air) or do you HAVE TO bring it on board (+smaller bag). OR if you want your 10 kg bag in the hold do you just pay the €8 baggage charge and just bring your smaller bag on board?.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

John.G wrote: »
    If you book priority, can you drop your 10 KG bag at "bag drop" (Ryan Air) or do you HAVE TO bring it on board (+smaller bag). OR if you want your 10 kg bag in the hold do you just pay the €8 baggage charge and just bring your smaller bag on board?.

I am currently engage in a 2 month running battle with Ryanair on this very matter
    We booked flights to faro for summer 2019 in September
    The option to book 10kg bags to be checked into hold was there . 8 euro each way. I selected three of them as we have kids and didn’t want the hassle of lugging them around airport . Total cost 48 euro was added to fares and was reflected in on screen price
    Went to pay by credit card. Was charged 48 euro less. Checked itenirary and sure enough no bags.
    Went bag into booking to add bags . Total charge 48 euro. But they were priority bags .

Immediately went on to web chat (when I say immediately it took THREE HOURS) and got a less than helpful CR
    She insisted the option to select check in bags was not there and would not be until nov 1st
    I assured her it was and that I had not been hallucinating
    Over and back we went with no resolution. I copied the webchat transcript
    Of course after that I found the section on website which stated in bold the option that the option to book these bags for flights from 1st November onwards would be available from September onwards

So now I am engaged in a weekly over and back vis email
    Continually being referred to webchat which I am refusing to do
    I have attached copy of transcript and a lengthy word document
    Last email asked me for more info . Clearly hadn’t read either attachment
    It is absolutely bizarre that they will just not downgrade my bags to my original selection !!!!!!

Not sure where my next port of call is ? Is there an ombudsman ?
    I am not letting this go as it was a problem with their booking engine

Yes, I see your problem but mine is very straight forward.....if I do priority booking do I have to bring my 10kg bag on board??

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

John.G wrote: »
    Yes, I see your problem but mine is very straight forward.....if I do priority booking do I have to bring my 10kg bag on board??

Yes
    I asked that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

With the new postponement by Ryanair for November .... is non priority the same as recent??? Bad taken off you in queue and put in hold for nothing???

So... I can bring 2 carry on for my November trip...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Masala wrote: »
    With the new postponement by Ryanair for November .... is non priority the same as recent??? Bad taken off you in queue and put in hold for nothing???

So... I can bring 2 carry on for my November trip...

I don’t think I there is any official postponement, maybe I’m wrong, do you have a link from Ryanair themselves saying as much? If not, I’d assume you’ll be subject to appropriate fees for non compliance

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The PR fella (Jacob?) was on the radio today saying there would be a grace period for November.

Causing even more confusion from what I can gather!

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The PR fella (Jacob?) was on the radio today saying there would be a grace period for November.

Causing even more confusion from what I can gather!

And some more...https://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-grace-period-4319170-Nov2018/

Personally I would just pay the €6 or €8 if I bear in mind all the cheap flights I'v had with them over many many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

German Authorities will not investigate Ryanair carry-on rules, not because they don't want to but rather because it is not within their purview.

http://www.airliners.de/deutsches-kartellamt-ryanairs-handgepaeck-regeln/47533
    translator required.

They feel that Ryanair and WizzAir product does not represent a similar product on price comparison websites but are stymied by the lack of a widely adopted common standard for carry on luggage.

The Italian authorities appear to have more power than their German counterparts.

My opinion: I'm in favour of this development as it may lead to lower cost short trips as I can travel with just a 20 to 25 litre bag for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Rather than link the carry on bags to priority boarding why did they not link it to people who paid extra for their chosen seat? Pay for your seat and you get to bring two bags on board.

I can visualise the priority boarding queue stretching all the way back and the people at the back of the queue not being able to bring their carry ons on board because the overhead lockers will already be full.

I thought that being priority meant that you got on the plane sooner. If everyone is in the priority queue then the people at the back have paid a priority fee for no priority.

Rather than link the carry on bags to priority boarding why did they not link it to people who paid extra for their chosen seat? Pay for your seat and you get to bring two bags on board.

I can visualise the priority boarding queue stretching all the way back and the people at the back of the queue not being able to bring their carry ons on board because the overhead lockers will already be full.

I thought that being priority meant that you got on the plane sooner. If everyone is in the priority queue then the people at the back have paid a priority fee for no priority.

As said before.... tgat queue will be capped at 90 persons. They will all get their bag overhead no problem. And get seated before the scrum.

The way its supposed to work is that they only sell enough priority to ensure enough overhead room, 90 to 95 I think is the number.
    The only priority....priority ensures maybe is that you will board before the 96th person who is the first in the non priority queue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I can’t help noticing a feeling of entitlement amongst some on this thread. Very new-Ireland.

1. I’m old enough to remember when, to get off this island on a plane, you had to take the boat; be a civil servant (coz the tax payer paid for your work trip, and still does); remortgage your house. Coz in those days Aer Lingus pilots bought houses on the Hill of Howth and lived like royalty. The state owned service, which we had every right to complain about, screwed us.

2. At the prices Ryanair change, and the margins they operate on, don’t expect customer service coz there isn’t any. (Viz. Ikea - they’re exactly the same)

3. I fly Ryanair about 3 times a month to Gatwick. 99% of the time, it’s flawless.

4. I’ve just booked a December flight to Gatwick. Despite all the technology and people that will be involved in getting me there, it cost €25.98 return. (I only ever take a knapsack.) The return train from Gatwick to London will cost more. A visit to my GP, which would be free in UK, would cost twice what flying to Gatwick is costing. As in the past, the state continues to screw us. (HSE fiasco)

5. Much of this thread is people getting exercised over the price of a couple of coffees.

People need to have a little perspective.

If your old enough to remember what we used to have, Ryanair is a gift.

D.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Dinarius wrote: »
    I can’t help noticing a feeling of entitlement amongst some on this thread. Very new-Ireland.

1. I’m old enough to remember when, to get off this island on a plane, you had to take the boat; be a civil servant (coz the tax payer paid for your work trip, and still does); remortgage your house. Coz in those days Aer Lingus pilots bought houses on the Hill of Howth and lived like royalty. The state owned service, which we had every right to complain about, screwed us.

2. At the prices Ryanair change, and the margins they operate on, don’t expect customer service coz there isn’t any. (Viz. Ikea - they’re exactly the same)

3. I fly Ryanair about 3 times a month to Gatwick. 99% of the time, it’s flawless.

4. I’ve just booked a December flight to Gatwick. Despite all the technology and people that will be involved in getting me there, it cost €25.98 return. (I only ever take a knapsack.) The return train from Gatwick to London will cost more. A visit to my GP, which would be free in UK, would cost twice what flying to Gatwick is costing. As in the past, the state continues to screw us. (HSE fiasco)

5. Much of this thread is people getting exercised over the price of a couple of coffees.

D.

But most people have totally forgotten, even older generations who should remember.
    What’s it they say about eaten bread?

D.

If it wasn't Ryanair who changed the industry... it would have been another airline. Ireland was ripe fir a low fare airline... ryanair was in right place at right time.

I wouldn't be glorifying them to a sainthood status..... €1.1billion profit organisation is not a mother Theresa charity

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

D.
    MOL, is that you again? :)
    That seems to be a pretty wide ranging rant to justify confusing baggage fees. You are giving Ryanair credit for something that the EU did. Ryanair exploited deregulation very successfully. But the EU Commission made it possible.

• Advertisement

steve-o wrote: »
    MOL, is that you again? :)
    That seems to be a pretty wide ranging rant to justify confusing baggage fees. You are giving Ryanair credit for something that the EU did. Ryanair exploited deregulation very successfully. But the EU Commission made it possible.

JGC here, Would agree....deregulation (started in the USA?) led to competition, R.Air's success was modelled on Southwest, the biggest? budget airline in the US, MOL originally wanted to shut down the loss making R.Air when he arrived but Tony Ryan sent him off to the states to see how that airline operated, the rest is history. Airlines also operated a de facto cartel, here it was A.Lingus and BEA. In the 70s/80s it used to cost me a weeks wages to fly/return to the UK and my own (company paid) record was a one way flight from Cork to Noumea via Tashkent and Bankok that cost 10% of the price of a new house that I had just bought in 1972.
    Its amazing how Airlines can make money with a 737/A320 probably costing the bones of €45 million.
    OK, rant over, now where did I leave my 10 Kg bag.

Advertisement