Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Where is the comparability in the US market? Air travel in the US is still eye wateringly expensive on most domestic routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭John.G

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Where is the comparability in the US market? Air travel in the US is still eye wateringly expensive on most domestic routes.

Without deregulation I wonder what their prices would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

Now priority is cheaper than the cabin baggage going into hold, so everyone will be buying that.

Cheaper for now, probably they will come up with some bs. reason after 6 months and increase the price also.

I will link to current prices here, and let's see the difference over time.

https://imgur.com/a/suDe68y

Edit: And in the long run, we will have to pay €16 extra to carry proper bag (e.g cabin sized bag) for a return trip using Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭John.G

bonjurkes wrote: »
    Cheaper for now, probably they will come up with some bs. reason after 6 months and increase the price also.

I will link to current prices here, and let's see the difference over time.

https://imgur.com/a/suDe68y

Edit: And in the long run, we will have to pay €16 extra to carry proper bag (e.g cabin sized bag) for a return trip using Ryanair.

Some people (like my wife) prefers to put the (10 kg) bag in the hold as she doesn't have to take out all those 100 CC containers at security. I don't think one has this option with priority booking even though the question has been posed here a few times.
    I agree, it's only a matter of time before all Airlines start doing the same and charging.

I just want to have a cabin size luggage or cabin size bag, to put some boxers, socks and tshirts for 3 days trip. Right now, it's not possible to do that with the new "small bag" size option, which is size of a laptop hand bag. So either I have to pay half of my plane ticket price to carry a cabin size bag (doesn't matter if it's in cabin, in cockpit or under plane) or even more than plane ticket (if you are heading to UK from IRL).

I am quiet sure this decision is against some flight rule as current "free" allowance is not big enough to carry more than one laptop (let alone carrying laptop with your clothes).

You want to visit UK? 20€ return ticket + €16 cabin sized luggage = €36 (at least)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

25 litre sizing cage - 42x30x20cm. If your boxers are so big that they don't fit in to that then you must be a giant.

rivegauche wrote: »
    25 litre sizing cage - 42x30x20cm. If your boxers are so big that they don't fit in to that then you must be a giant.

40x20x25 cm https://imgur.com/a/iZqdRLj

If you are fine with bringing only a boxer for 3 days stay, suit yourself. I am sure you can survive without bringing any clothes at all so you don't even have to take a small bag with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

I've already replied to this thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108019847&postcount=1082

If the bag fits in the sizing cage then you won't be charged and the size of the cage is 42x30x20cm which is 25,2 litres and the bag that I will be travelling with tomorrow will fit in that cage. It will be the same bag that I've used perviously with a few pairs of trousers, shoes, underwear, shirts, jumpers, toiletries and paperwork.

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/new-bag-policy-from-november-will-cut-check-bag-fees-reduce-boarding-delays/
    5. What are the small bag dimensions?

We have increased the size of the free small carry-on bag by over 40% from 35 x 20 x 20cm (14,000 cm³) to 40 x 20 x 25cm (20,000 cm³).

We have almost doubled the size of our small bag sizer from 35 x 20 x 20cm (14,000 cm³) to 42 x 20 x 30 cm (25,200 cm³) to allow carry-on bags that are considerably (25%) larger than our permitted small bag dimensions. (See diagram)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Here is the details from the website. Looks like the smallest bag increased in size but not quite back to the expected size

.3 Cabin and 10kg Check-in Bag
    8.3.1 You may carry on board one small cabin bag of up to 40 x 20 x 25cms (no allowance for infants travelling on their parent’s lap) Click here for Regulations concerning Cabin Baggage.
    If you purchased Priority & 2 Cabin Bags (including a Flexi, Flexi Plus or Family Plus ticket), you may carry on board the small and a large piece of Cabin Baggage, weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, unless operational reasons require us to place the large cabin bag in the hold.
    If you purchased the 10kg Check-In Bag (up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm) you may carry your small bag on board the aircraft, however the 10kg Check-In Bag must be deposited at the bag-drop desk prior to entering security. Upon arrival at your destination you will collect the bag at the baggage belt. Regulations on Checked Baggage apply accordingly. Please click here for our Table of Fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Hi,
    I just read in a newspaper that recently there has been another change in baggage rules/procedures.

Firstly I don’t remember receiving an email from them regarding this change.

The last time I flew a few months back they took my cabin bag at gate and put it in hold for free. So am I understanding this correctly. This same bag must now be checked in at a cost of $8 per flight and therefore the only bags in overhead lockers are those belonging to priority customers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

If you booked a flight with them to travel after November 1st, you definitely got an email. Whether it ended in spam or not I don't know.

You'll allowed a handbag / laptop bag - 40cm x 20cm x 25cm - under seat in front essentially.

There's a certain grace period this month however I wouldn't take the piss.

For the extra 10kg bag to go overhead, it's Priority and €6 per leg, so €12 for return flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Booked flights few months ago for post 01/11. Got email few weeks back saying that as had booked before changes would be allowed the checked bags as booked plus a 10kg free into hold each way per person and also the small onboard bag. Felt that was fair enough as we usually don't bother with priority & let them take the 10kg at the gate anyway when we have also got a checked bag and means no messing trying to find space overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Would a small backpack be okay I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Yes it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

....so when you book priority boarding don't you get one bag for the overhead locker for free? and its only a $5!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

How they look at the bags with stuff I bought at duty free?

Lest say I have a backpack that is allowed but would like to buy something at duty free. Will they take it from me and I have to pay extra for that???

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

You are allowed to take a duty free bag on board also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This is starting to make things very expensive compared to what one would have payed in the past.

Today I booked flights for 2 to Gatwick. €40 each for return which was superb value, so €80 in total. Great, but then the fun begins.

We'd prefer to sit beside each other - €3 x 4 seats = €12
    We need to bring extra bags, so using the cheapest route it was €6 x 4 = €24 for the priority + 2 cabin bags per person.

An extra €36 for the extras, 45% of the total cost of the flights!!!

They're still cheaper than their competitors but gone maybe are the days of exceptional value unless you're on your own/don't care where you sit, plus are able to travel with just your small bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Paully D wrote: »
    This is starting to make things very expensive compared to what one would have payed in the past.

personally I don't think €58 return is very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

Paully D wrote: »

Today I booked flights for 2 to Gatwick. €40 each for return which was superb value, so €80 in total. Great, but then the fun begins.

We'd prefer to sit beside each other - €3 x 4 seats = €12
    We need to bring extra bags, so using the cheapest route it was €6 x 4 = €24 for the priority + 2 cabin bags per person.

An extra €36 for the extras, 45% of the total cost of the flights!!!

They're still cheaper than their competitors but gone maybe are the days of exceptional value unless you're on your own/don't care where you sit, plus are able to travel with just your small bag.

You’re getting yourself and two bags taken from Dublin to London and back again for €58.

I would call that exceptionally good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It’s true, it’s not bad at all in the grand scheme of things and I’m not saying it is either, but only two weeks ago that same return flight with bags, even including a pre-booked seat, would have cost 20% less.

A 20% increase in comparison is heavy.

If you had a couple of kids as well and needed to add on a couple of extras for them you’re talking a significant increase.

Maybe we just had it too good for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Hi lads apologies it this has been asked before. I am travelling to Birmingham for the weekend with Ryanair. I would have just brought the normal small carry on wheelie suitcase. I am aware that the regulations around this have changed. However this Indo article suggests that the new regulations although technically have come into play , will not be enforced until the start of December. Does anyone know if I will be able to bring my wheelie suitcase without being charged extra?

Relevant article here. [url].
    https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-passengers-have-two-weeks-to-comply-with-new-baggage-rules-or-face-a-25-fee-37538004.html[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Would love a bit of guidance or advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Doubt anyone here can tell you more than what the article says; if you chance it, you'll probably get away with it for now, but there's no guarantee since they've just asked their gate agents to "act reasonably". Be polite and act befuddled about the new policy and they'll be more likely to let it slide, I'd say, but have your €25 handy just in case you get an agent who hasn't gotten the memo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Hi all,

Probably a pretty frivolous question, but this is the kind of thing I wonder about sometimes....

Why do bottles of liquids, etc., up to 100 mls, have to be in a plastic bag at airport security?

I'm not asking why do you have to produce these things for inspection...am instead asking why they have to be in a bag, instead of just being put individually into the tray.

Anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Duffryman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Probably a pretty frivolous question, but this is the kind of thing I wonder about sometimes....

Why do bottles of liquids, etc., up to 100 mls, have to be in a plastic bag at airport security?

I'm not asking why do you have to produce these things for inspection...am instead asking why they have to be in a bag, instead of just being put individually into the tray.

Anybody know?

Because you might have a load of items and it's neater to present them in one clear bag which can be checked and moved along quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Hi all,

Anybody know?

Puts the onus on to you, people aware of the rules, even multiple stations to decant or etc. Saves money i suppose.

You have been told all X needs to be in Y, that must be handy from a business side.

Life has changed alot since going to the old dublin airport bar to wave off family going on the big bird.

But we can fly anywhere now for little money ''frivolous'' due to some of the regs i would expect ? business's make cuts and make money elsewhere.

If i had nothing in a bad bad situation i would hang near departures wait for the same dopes to throw out brand new stuff cause they didnt bother there hole thinking its not just about me and either try make profit or donate to people who need the likes.

The one bag idea for all things surely make its one less in a step from there POV. So it immediately reduces stats that can be used for for anther union dispute

I dunno. If it’s as simple as trying to keep the queue moving along, then why not insist that all other items that people produce at the gates should go into a clear bag too?

For instance, I’ll be flying tomorrow with a small piece of hand luggage, and a checked-in bag. Liquids/pastes I’ll need to put into a plastic bag for security will be just a small tube of toothpaste, and a small can of shaving gel.

However, other items I’ll have will include:
    wallet
    keys
    probably several loose coins
    phone
    pack of cigarettes
    lighter
    watch
    wedding ring

I'll put all these into a pouch on the hand luggage bag to save time going through the security gates, but other people would put them all loose into the tray. So would it not make more sense for these people to be asked to use a plastic bag to keep them all together too?

Basically, why is just liquids/pastes/etc. that are singled out for the plastic bag treatment?

Maybe I'm just overthinking this......!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Basically, why is just liquids/pastes/etc. that are singled out for the plastic bag treatment?

Maybe I'm just overthinking this......!

the plastic bags are a provided at a specified size, one per person, I assume to minimise the amount of liquids any one individual can bring with them. You can only bring what fills the bag, anything additional can't go.

• Advertisement

Ah, that might make sense :)

Stops somebody taking a bargain basement 1 litre bottle of shower gel and splitting it into ten 100ml bottles to bring with them, and then doing the same with shampoo, conditioner, and whatever else, to the point where they're carrying maybe 50 different containers.

Thanks!

Advertisement