Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I don't really fly Ryanair anymore , prices have been driven (by Ryanair) to the point where all airlines are pretty competitive and Ryanairs offering has become less palatable, it will be interesting to see as their share price falls and the unions flex muscle if they will back off on the gouging .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I think the charge is a great idea, stops the cattle madness with the killing each other to get on board so there's space for your bag.

Taken a few flights now and saw it enforced in Cologne, Dusseldorf (Although it was Laudamotion not Ryanair), OVDA and Modlin.

Strangely enough haven't used Ryanair to Dublin in a while as Cologne - Dublin with Ryanair isn't really that competitive with Aer Lingus or Eurowings from Dusseldorf of late.

Wasn't really that much, ffs only paid 17.98 one way from Las Palmas to Cologne with Priority + 2 Bags.

Sure Wizzair are doing the same, Scoot Airlines you can't even eat your own food on board, you have to go off and secret eat in the jax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I've seen 2 passengers in the last week denied boarding when they attempted this so I wouldn't recommend doing it. Its all there in the terms and conditions when you buy your ticket

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

I've seen 2 passengers in the last week denied boarding when they attempted this so I wouldn't recommend doing it. Its all there in the terms and conditions when you buy your ticket

And you can confirm they didn’t come on board their flight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

Denied boarding until they paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

And you can confirm they didn’t come on board their flight?

100% confirmed.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

There travel plans must not have been important.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Would rather just make do with one carry on than be that annoying person holding everyone up

It is frustrating when you pay the correct fare and adhere to the correct baggage limit to see cheapskate freeloaders being let off with no consequences.

I welcome Ryanair's stance on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Saw what seemed like a heated argument between gate staff and a chap who refused to pay to bring his big wheelie bag on board and she specifically said "then you cannot board" or something along those lines. Was heading to the plane so I don't know what the outcome was, I'd wager he probably paid up in the end but I certainly wouldn't take my chances for the sake of €12 (6 e/w). If you can, travel light (I got a new bag for this purpose that suits me for 3/4 night trips) or stump up the extra.

Just did Dublin - Hamburg return for €20, didn't purchase a single extra and didn't need to, not gonna argue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They also send multiple emails reminding you. So many that it starts to get annoying. No excuse for anyone being surprised at the gate.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Saw what seemed like a heated argument between gate staff and a chap who refused to pay to bring his big wheelie bag on board and she specifically said "then you cannot board" or something along those lines. Was heading to the plane so I don't know what the outcome was, I'd wager he probably paid up in the end but I certainly wouldn't take my chances for the sake of €12 (6 e/w). If you can, travel light (I got a new bag for this purpose that suits me for 3/4 night trips) or stump up the extra.

Just did Dublin - Hamburg return for €20, didn't purchase a single extra and didn't need to, not gonna argue with that.

Exactly ... although I feel sorry for women that feel the need to bring 2 months of clothes for a 2 night trip on a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

grimm2005 wrote: »

Does your new bag suit for the dimensions for non priority? You wouldn’t sending a link if so. Travel to UK twice a week and wouldn’t mind saving 12 euro a week, all adds up you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

That idea is just being a dick though.

God watch over your soul if I bring on my bags after having paid and you are bringing it on for free taking up limited space.

Does your new bag suit for the dimensions for non priority? You wouldn’t sending a link if so. Travel to UK twice a week and wouldn’t mind saving 12 euro a week, all adds up you know.

The way I look at is the flight is the same price and I'm pay less money for something I don't need to bring.

All adds up as I don't bring suit bags or whatever and it makes boarding quicker as people don't bring unnecessary crap with them

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/sep/01/ryanair-new-hand-luggage-rules-carry-on-bags

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/kit-and-accessories/bags-for-new-ryanair-luggage-baggage-policy/

Found these earlier when planning a 2 night trip in a few weeks. Should be big enough for a few nights. In fairness if you're making a lot of trips the €12 does add up but I can't understand people making such a huge issue out of it. It has gotten ridiculous trying to board a plane with people refusing to check in their bags for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/sep/01/ryanair-new-hand-luggage-rules-carry-on-bags

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/kit-and-accessories/bags-for-new-ryanair-luggage-baggage-policy/

Found these earlier when planning a 2 night trip in a few weeks. Should be big enough for a few nights. In fairness if you're making a lot of trips the €12 does add up but I can't understand people making such a huge issue out of it. It has gotten ridiculous trying to board a plane with people refusing to check in their bags for free.

Thanks so much, yeah I get over 50 flights a year so does make a difference.

Yup, people will try anything. Witnessed it last week, one girl said to the staff “Ah I rang yesterday and Ryanair said my wheelie bag was fine for non priority”. Cue argument, I just walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

No worries Bobby, the one I got is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryanair-Approved-Luggage-Holdall-Lightweight/dp/B01LTD0830/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548411700&sr=8-4&keywords=ryanair+carry+on+bag

This actually fits the old second bag allowance so is slightly under the new bigger one but I bought based on the good reviews and there weren't many of the new size when I was looking and I didn't want to pay big money either. I also got a set of packing cubes which makes packing clothes a lot neater and easier. Beware the pictures make it look bigger than what it seems in real life, happy to take a photo and send on if you want a real world idea of what it looks like or if you want any specific details about what it will fit etc as I've done a couple of test runs with it so I can decide what the max length of time away is comfortable for me before I should upgrade to the bigger case.

Edit: Can also confirm that you'll have no trouble with a regular sized back pack (think one you might bring to school or college) as I and others have got by no problem with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Does the Ryanair 10kg check in bag have a size restriction or is it only limited by weight?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Size, too. You'd better check their website to make sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Zardoz wrote: »
    Does the Ryanair 10kg check in bag have a size restriction or is it only limited by weight?

Since it's going in the hold I can't see any reason why there would be a size restriction?

There is no size restriction on the 10KG checked bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

At this stage I think people with RYR issues should ....

A. Obey the rules.

B. Stay somewhere in Ireland

C. Choose another airline.

Far too much angst going on when people can post here but do not seem to be able to get the relevant information from their carrier.

Happy holidays/trips everyone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Zardoz

New Home wrote: »
    Size, too. You'd better check their website to make sure.

Thanks ,I have checked it but its deliberately vague .
    Since it's going in the hold I can't see any reason why there would be a size restriction?

Thats what I would have thought as it was 12 euro for a 10kg on the flight I was looking at as opposed to 8 euro for Priority booking with an onboard bag.

If there is no size limit then that suits me better than the old charges as I prefer to bring a bigger bag than the onboard limit .

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

was searching to see if there is a size limit to the checked in 10kg bag last week and found this which seems to indicate there is as the image of the suitcase has measurements. Would happily be corrected though as would suit me to being a bigger bag.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage/new-bag-policy-effective-01st-november

Once you don't bring it to the gate, anything goes regarding size. It just needs to be below 10kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

What happens if priority boarding is sold out ?

You have the option of checking in the 10kg bag for €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

What happens if priority boarding is sold out ?

I imagine it just won't come up as an option to buy during the flight purchase process if sold out, supposed to be only 90 or 100 approximately priority available per flight AFAIK but that's just a guess

• Advertisement

Correct.

It will just show as sold out giving the options to go non priority with or without a checked 10kg bag.

Advertisement