Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Speaking of sizes..

Haven't checked in a bag in the hold in a while now as mainly travel with hand luggage, but I've booked to bring a 25kg case for checking in, presumably there's no size restrictions for checking in a larger 25kg case with Ryanair, is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

Except Ryanair do not allow baggage over 20kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Moyglish wrote: »
    Speaking of sizes..

Haven't checked in a bag in the hold in a while now as mainly travel with hand luggage, but I've booked to bring a 25kg case for checking in, presumably there's no size restrictions for checking in a larger 25kg case with Ryanair, is there?

For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). This weight limit does not apply to mobility equipment.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/baggage/20-kg-check-in-bag

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Edit: Can also confirm that you'll have no trouble with a regular sized back pack (think one you might bring to school or college) as I and others have got by no problem with one.

Indeed, within reason. Once it and whatever's in it can be squished into the max allowable size :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I have an A1 size plastic portfolio case of photographs.

It is only about 2cms thick, so it would easily sit on to of overhead luggage.

Do people think I could carry it onto my Ryanair flight tomorrow?

The photos would be ruined if put in the hold.

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

Are you carrying anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

What happens if priority boarding is sold out ?

TBH if there's any doubt in your mind at all that the small bag won't be enough, you're better off just buying it during the initial booking anyway as it's the cheapest way of adding it and chances are you'll be far enough out from your flight date that it won't be sold out.

Are you carrying anything else?

In the end I didn’t take the portfolio. Might do so next week.

I always have a knapsack that goes under the seat in front of me. Never anything else.

Maybe if I pay the extra bag charge next week, the portfolio can can as that?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

I have done about 5 flights since I last posted and for the life of me I can't make sense of these new bag pricing.

The cost of 'checking-in' a 10KG bag is always more expensive than having priority boarding and passing the queue and taking your 10KG bag on board.....
    I just don't get that .how is it that they charge less for the priority and 10KG bag on board.surely it should be the other way round as most would expect to pay more for the priority boarding with their bags.

I cannot make sense of it all.

I am clearly missing something as michael wouldn't make that mistake. They surely are making more money this way round but I don,t know how.
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I have done about 5 flights since I last posted and for the life of me I can't make sense of these new bag pricing.

The cost of 'checking-in' a 10KG bag is always more expensive than having priority boarding and passing the queue and taking your 10KG bag on board.....
    I just don't get that .how is it that they charge less for the priority and 10KG bag on board.surely it should be the other way round as most would expect to pay more for the priority boarding with their bags.

I cannot make sense of it all.

I am clearly missing something as michael wouldn't make that mistake. They surely are making more money this way round but I don,t know how.
    ?

If checking the bag was cheaper, more people would likely avail of that over priority meaning more time spent loading the plane making turn around slower and staff costs higher. There's only something like 90 priority passes per flight so they need to have the 10kg check in bag as an option if priority is sold out otherwise people would be forced to pay for one of the more expensive checked bags which can sometimes be the same cost as the flight itself.

That's my logic for it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

how is it that they charge less for the priority and 10KG bag on board.surely it should be the other way round as most would expect to pay more for the priority boarding with their bags.
    They charge less because by bringing the bag on board you are doing the baggage handling yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

It's difficult to get precise information regarding the cabin bag allowance recently introduced. Previously the cabin bag measured 55x35x20 approx. It now is possible to bring a 42x30x20 bag in addition to a smaller one to be stored under the seat. does this mean all the original bags now have to be ditched and replaced with the smaller ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

1 small personal bag on board (40cm x 20cm x 25cm), anything after that you pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

ttenneb wrote: »
    It's difficult to get precise information regarding the cabin bag allowance recently introduced. Previously the cabin bag measured 55x35x20 approx. It now is possible to bring a 42x30x20 bag in addition to a smaller one to be stored under the seat. does this mean all the original bags now have to be ditched and replaced with the smaller ones?

I flew with them few days back, used the same cabin case I have for five years now as well as smalller bag that I stored under seat. I have seen people board with just the smaller bag which is free of charge but to be honest I think they pushing it a little bit size wise. Still i haven't see any Ryanair staff going around with measuring tapes.......yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

[HTML][/HTML]
    If you book priority which is about €9 you get the small bag (40cmX20cmX25cm) plus a 10kg bag on board. If you don't book prority you only get the (40cmx20cmx25cm) bag which has to fit under the seat. I got an e mail today from them saying if my bag is deemed too big it's a €50 charge at the gate to put it in the hold. I'm flying next week and I've asked a dozen people and Ive been told everything from they are very strict to they don't care so I don't know who to believe. It might depend on the mood of the person at the gate. I'd take the safe route and just book prority.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

The airline has precise information.

[HTML][/HTML]
    If you book priority which is about €9 you get the small bag (40cmX20cmX25cm) plus a 10kg bag on board. If you don't book prority you only get the (40cmx20cmx25cm) bag which has to fit under the seat. I got an e mail today from them saying if my bag is deemed too big it's a €50 charge at the gate to put it in the hold. I'm flying next week and I've asked a dozen people and Ive been told everything from they are very strict to they don't care so I don't know who to believe. It might depend on the mood of the person at the gate. I'd take the safe route and just book prority.

This is the precise point to my question. There's so much conflicting information that it's hard to know what the true position is. Do I take it the 40x25x20 is the smaller of the two bags? If so, what are the dimensions of the overhead ? Certain pages have 55x40x20, a Ryanair page says 42x30x20. This brings me back to my point of having to buy a smaller (10 kilo) bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

This is the precise point to my question. There's so much conflicting information that it's hard to know what the true position is. Do I take it the 40x25x20 is the smaller of the two bags? If so, what are the dimensions of the overhead ? Certain pages have 55x40x20, a Ryanair page says 42x30x20. This brings me back to my point of having to buy a smaller (10 kilo) bag.

There is no confusion. You've been given a link. The dimensions of the larger cabin bag are 55x40x20.

What's so difficult to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

For peace of mind I now pay extra to avoid ever ever experiencing the ruin air crap ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

It’s easy to get confused, I’m pretty sure some of the sizes changed when the new baggage policy came in, so just have a look at the official website someone has linked as that will be up to date

It’s easy to get confused, I’m pretty sure some of the sizes changed when the new baggage policy came in, so just have a look at the official website someone has linked as that will be up to date

The problem lies with the fact that web pages don't always have a date stamp and to find the current one can sometimes take a lot of time fishing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

I got 2 tickets for the end March (Ryan air). I need to add 10kg checked bags but i don't get the option. am i simply stupid or has something changed?
    I only see "Add 20kg bags" @ €40

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

turniton wrote: »
    I got 2 tickets for the end March (Ryan air). I need to add 10kg checked bags but i don't get the option. am i simply stupid or has something changed?
    I only see "Add 20kg bags" @ €40
    Try it again.
    I had that with an upcoming flight when I looked this morning (priority booked out and no 10kg checked option) but it’s there now

The website in general was a bit dodgy this morning it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Zardoz

otnomart wrote: »
    They charge less because by bringing the bag on board you are doing the baggage handling yourself.

The 10kg checked in bag may or may not be limited in size whereas the onboard bag most certainly is limited in size.

Just booked an Aer Lingus flight for March.

Fly regularly Dublin/Gatwick with Ryanair. Wanted to bring back very slim portfolio of photos on one of the flights. They would sit on top of a wheelie bag in an overhead locker.

Tried to ascertain from Ryanair if this was possible. Got nowhere. Ryanair are fantastic.....as long as you don’t want anything.

Will see how I go with AL. I will only have a small knapsack plus the portfolio of pics.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

Try it again.
    I had that with an upcoming flight when I looked this morning (priority booked out and no 10kg checked option) but it’s there now

The website in general was a bit dodgy this morning it seems

you were correct. it did allow me to purchase bags tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭maebee

Booked Dublin - Edinburgh for 2 of us for next month. Just retrieved the booking to add a 10kg bag. We only need one 10kg between us but there is only the option to add a 10kg for each passenger. The chat bot was no help. It's €10 per person per flight. We're only going for 2 nights and don't need 2 x 10kg bags. Is there any way around this? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Apologies if asked recently...with Ryanair and carry on, can you take shaving blades and foam?
    Would it need to be in a clear plastic bag or is it ok in a normal toilet bag? I normally put it in check in but don't have luggage this time around.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If the foam is within the limit of the liquids allowed (100ml per container, max), and in a max 1lt clear plastic bag you'll be ok. As for the blades, I sincerely doubt it, not with Ryanair only but with all airlines.

Advertisement