Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

So do most people just buy blades and foam at the destination? Bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

So do most people just buy blades and foam at the destination? Bit of a pain.
    Normal shaving blades (the type in a plastic cartridge) are perfectly fine. Old school double sided blades like a barber might use (ironically called "safety blades") are not ok.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Apologies, I was thinking of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Disposable Razors: Disposable razors come in two types. The kind that is completely disposable (handle and all), or the kind where you replace them with cartridges. These are permissible in carry-on luggage with the blade and replacement cartridges.
    Electric Razors: Electric razors are permitted in both checked and carry-on bags.

Source: https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2018/08/07/top-five-items-people-ask-about-razors-batteries-makeup-shampoo-deodorant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Are rucksacks allowed under the new policy? i have one that resembles the size of the one in the pic in the email they sent me. Is there a weight limit on it? I haven't purchased anything additional

• Advertisement

Do any of the supermarkets sell a foam jar with less than 100ml. All of mine seem to be 200ml.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Dunno, but Boots does (there's one inside Dublin Airport, if you're flying from there).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭John.G

Off topic but I now see, for the past few days at least, you now have to log in to your account to complete the booking and pay.
    A "guest" or someone who hasn't a account cannot do it, is this a new strategy or is it just a temporary site glitch?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Do any of the supermarkets sell a foam jar with less than 100ml. All of mine seem to be 200ml.

I have seen travel size toiletries in Tescos. All Boots definitely do whole sections of travel size, including shaving foams. Usually 3 for 2.

Penneys, from time to time, have Nivea (IIRC) travel sets with shaving foam in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Didn't see this in the last 10 pages of the thread, but I have found it pretty useful since Ryanair changed the policy..

The actual sizer (which they use to police their luggage policy) is slightly bigger (42 x 20 x 30 cm) than the documented size for the small bag ( 40 x 20 x 25cm)

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/new-bag-policy-from-november-will-cut-check-bag-fees-reduce-boarding-delays/

• Advertisement

Only thing I could get in boots was a travel kit (in clear plastic zip bag) containing foam, a mac 3 razor, shampoo, after shave balm, toothpaste and brush. €13. Don't need half of it but the clear bag should be ok for security.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Only thing I could get in boots was a travel kit (in clear plastic zip bag) containing foam, a mac 3 razor, shampoo, after shave balm, toothpaste and brush. €13. Don't need half of it but the clear bag should be ok for security.

https://www.superdrug.com/Nivea/Nivea-For-Men-Mini-Shave-Gel-30ml/p/828457

pretty sure Boots in the Airport sell these also

If you haven't bought the kit already, the bag is usually just a one-litre freezer bag with a zip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I'm travelling to Boston in April and I bought a case which I thought was within the dimensions described on the Aer Lingus website. I must have confused it with the label on another case I was looking at in the shop.
    The maximum dimensions of any single bag are (length + width + height) = 158 cm (62").

Unfortunately, my case is 164cm when dimensions are added. Is there a fee charged or will I be told at check in that the bag is simply not allowed?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

6 cms is sweet fèck all you’ll be grand or certainly should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'd say you will be ok also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

just tell them that the boardies said it would be ok but be prepared to have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I presumed it was weight they were more concerned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Hi folks just wondering if there is luggage restrictions size on checked in bags got this case recently quite large

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01CZOF7O2/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

py2006 wrote: »
    I presumed it was weight they were more concerned with.

These days they'll look at your bag as you board the plane and if the bag is under weight but looks too big then they'll check it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Hi there, playing a gig in London soon and want to bring my instrument (alto sax) with me. I really really don't want it to go in the hold so was thinking of doing two things:

1) Hiding it in a backpack (which will be sliiightly too long for the recommended size) and bringing it as handluggage and hope I get away with it

2) Buy a seat for the instrument

I did 2) before, but is that still allowed on Ryanair is my question? The flights aren't expensive at the moment so if I can buy a seat for the instrument and guarantee it'll be onboard with me I'd be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Musical instruments are covered in this section, scroll down until you see a wide blue banner: 'Musical Equipment' .....

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/baggage/20-kg-check-in-bag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

coylemj wrote: »
    Musical instruments are covered in this section, scroll down until you see a wide blue banner: 'Musical Equipment' .....

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/baggage/20-kg-check-in-bag

That's specifically about checking in musical instruments which the OP does not want to do.

OP - contact Ryanair online chat or get in touch via social media where you can get a definitive answer on whether or not booking a seat is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

fdevine wrote: »
    That's specifically about checking in musical instruments which the OP does not want to do.

It also tells you about buying a seat for the instrument. Which is specifically what the OP is asking about.

At the link I supplied, there is an option in the third column ... 'Extra Seat Item' ....

Smaller musical items such as a guitar, violin or viola which exceed our cabin baggage dimensions may be carried in the cabin if a seat for it has been reserved and the appropriate fare paid. There is no checked or cabin baggage allowance associated with the purchase of an extra seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Aer Lingus are usually fine unless you take the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

jhegarty wrote: »
    Aer Lingus are usually fine unless you take the piss.

My experience too.. the only exception would be if the flight is absolutely full.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

AL tend to take a sensible view on this. If your bag is approx the right dimensions, it will be unlikely that you’ll be hauled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I want to bring back a bottle or two of whiskey or brandy from Germany( buying it in hamburg not duty free) on a ryanair flight. am i correct in saying the only way i can do this is by checking it in?
    Im thinking with the liquid allowance i can't go through security and bring it on board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

That is correct- you must check it in. 100ml is the max limit for liquids per container

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Thanks i just wanted to make sure.

Advertisement