Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sir, You Are Being Hunted

Options
  • 19-08-2013 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Any interest out there in this?

It's a procedurally generated survival/stealth game in which a group of gentleman robots are hunting you for sport in the English countryside. Jim Rossignol of Rock, Paper, Shotgun is one of the team at Big Robot, the game's developers.

Anyway, the alpha is available now (including on Steam), though I'll probably wait for final release myself.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That looks sooo cool :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Looks very nice indeed. Is that some version of the STALKER engine? I get that feel off it.

Anyway, must get involved with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I don't think it's the X-Ray engine, or a modded version of it, but apparently S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was an influence alright.
    The game gathers up elements of my favourite things: exploration, AI interaction, survival, robots, hot drinks, and blends them into a rich pixelly pulp. (A “British indie S.T.A.L.K.E.R.” might have been something we said in the design meetings…)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I am tempted to buy it

BUT

the forums do not work on Steam, so haven't really got the views of if its any good or not,

but I am interested in it, seems whacky, silly, and terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Seen it on Steam today when I got home. Instantly caught my eye. Looks really cool. Will more then likely pick it up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I don't think it's the X-Ray engine, or a modded version of it, but apparently S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was an influence alright.

Ah, that'd certainly explain it. Just had a look at their planned updates. Industrial zones, more robots, more control over the map generation, all sounds good. I'll be grabbing this in the very near future.

I've been watching it for a while meself, but really hate the idea of paying near top dollar for an alpha. However, I'm strongly tempted.... :rolleyes: Do so not need another game in my library.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Pre-ordered it a while back. Played an hour. Seems good but not had enough time to get a good feel for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cant get enough of sandbox games myself, playing 7 days to die atm but this looks great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

brianon wrote: »
    Pre-ordered it a while back. Played an hour. Seems good but not had enough time to get a good feel for it.

Need more info

(Dalek voice) Explain, explain!!!!! :D

Worth buying?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

a-HA! I knew I'd bought this. Had paid for it via the Humble Bundle people's website, just found my Steam Code now so will give it a look :)

OK, so I played about an hour of this last night when I got home. I haven't played DayZ or it's pretenders, so whilst I had an idea what to expect, I was still pleasantly surprised at how worried you start getting when you see the Vitality meter dropping and you don't have food and so you have to detour to that building over there that you know has a patrol of bots keeping an eye on it.

The enemies are pretty smart, not to the point where it's impossible to escape, but you have to break line of sight and then hide before they spot you again if you want to have any chance of getting away. If you're being chased by 4 or 5 bots and have no ranged weapon, you're in real trouble. You should manage to deal with 2 if you have a bear trap to snare one and a melee weapon to finish it off.

Looks wise, I think it would be unfair to make serious comment on the visuals as it's still early. A little rough around the edges for sure, but they're on to a good thing with the way it's taking shape I think. Graphics are a lot less important to me personally over solid game play, so even if it didn't see too much change between now and release, that'd be fine with me.

Audio's good, there's a nice "range" on the noises the robots give out so if you're being careful, you won't blunder your way into a group of them. Like the visuals, there are some rough edges to be taken off but it's so far been quite alright.

I'm really looking forward to a more finished product and I think they're on to a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Sounds cool

Thanks Shiminay. Very tempted to get it now rather than wait.

I might throw a video up of me playing it later :)

[edit]
    I'm actually gonna stream it at lunch, just for lulz. www.twitch.tv/Shiminay, should be online in about an hour and 15 minutes when lunch starts.

<spam>
    OK, Streaming a quick luinch time blast of the Sir, You Are Being Hunted alpha: http://www.twitch.tv/Shiminay
    </spam>

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

epic bottle throw :p

:p Tell me about it.

Good watch, thanks for that. :D

I'll stream it again tonight when I'm at home and can talk more , figure since I wanna play it anyway, may as well let people watch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

This looks class. I really enjoy games that require you to sneak around and avoid enemies. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a favorite, too, even though stealth gameplay wasn't really it's forte. However, these elements look intruiging. Must get a look at a few YT videos.

Ah ffs. Caved and bought it. :o

Will DL it later this evening.

No multiplayer yet, but it's on their todo list, so that will make for more fun I think.

That would be excellent. Particularly if you can pilot the robot's hot air balloon whilst searching for your quarry. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I read about this some time ago via Rock Paper Shotgun, as I believe one of its writers is a dev for this; I want to play it now, but at the same time I'd prefer to enjoy the experience precisely as the developer intend - I may just sit tight until the 1.0 release, when all features are in & the engine is streamlined. It's such a beautiful & unique concept though, I'm struggling to resist the temptation :D

UPDATE!

This game is now live.

Back in September I spoke to a most splendid of gents who makes music and I said "you need to see this, it's right up your street." This weekend, I spotted this:

I'm kinda tickled pink at the notion that I may have had some very small part to play in the perfect blending of Professor Elemental and Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was playing this and it's a bit of fun, but get's very repetitive very quickly. And once you get a gun it stops being much of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

was $5 on gog last night so might come up again their sale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

sweetie wrote: »
    was $5 on gog last night so might come up again their sale

Damn. Want to pick this up on the cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Glebee wrote: »
    Damn. Want to pick this up on the cheap.

i know, i was on the phone at the time and hummed and hawed till i forgot about it. they do seem to be cycling the deals so maybe again...

Advertisement