Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the easiest route into Medicine?

• 19-08-2013 7:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

what is the easiest route into Medicine?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Depends what you mean by 'easiest'. Quickest and cheapest would be undergrad, leaving cert + hpat, which is five or six years. Then if that doesn't work out you can do Grad med, you need a 2:1 in a level 8 degree in whatever, then you can sit the Gamsat and begin graduate entry medicine so probably around 8 years~. Apparently the Gamsat isn't too bad, so I've heard anyway. Grad med is expensive too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

fewtins wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by 'easiest'. Quickest and cheapest would be undergrad, leaving cert + hpat, which is five or six years. Then if that doesn't work out you can do Grad med, you need a 2:1 in a level 8 degree in whatever, then you can sit the Gamsat and begin graduate entry medicine so probably around 8 years~. Apparently the Gamsat isn't too bad, so I've heard anyway. Grad med is expensive too.

My guidance teacher said I can get into a level 6 science course anyone at all then from there I can do medicine.

Is that a level 6 from which you can progress into a level 8? If not, then that's not true because it needs to be a level 8 and you need to graduate with a 2:1 or better.
    • Candidates must hold, or expect to hold, a minimum 2H1 (second class honours, grade one, or equivalent) result in their
    first honours bachelor degree (NFQ Level 8).

2013 CAO GEM PDF

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

Is that a level 6 from which you can progress into a level 8? If not, then that's not true because it needs to be a level 8 and you need to graduate with a 2:1 or better.

2013 CAO GEM PDF

She said it it is a level 6

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

Are there no grants available for grad medicine and is a 2:1 hard to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    Are there no grants available for grad medicine and is a 2:1 hard to get?
    To answer your first question perhaps: If the college has scholarships going you can avail of them. Also, if you qualify for the Back To Education Allowance you can get that every week and pay just 2,000 euro per year.

As for getting a 2:1 they aren't extremely difficult. If you keep your head down and work hard you should get a 2:1.

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

Easiest route into medicine?

Practice!

fontdor wrote: »
    She said it it is a level 6

Well it's definitely a level 8 I'm afraid. But that isn't soo bad you can get into UL and NUIG general science courses with 350-450 points I think. It also doesn't have to be a science or health science related course, anything so long as it's a level 8 and you graduate with a 2:1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

If you're looking for an 'easy' way, medicine probably isn't going to suit you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Tweej wrote: »
    If you're looking for an 'easy' way, medicine probably isn't going to suit you
    The OP did say "easiest"... which isn't saying much because the easiest way is still pretty difficult.

The "easiest" route in to medicine is to apply to both Irish and NI/GB colleges and write a good personal statement, practice for the HPAT/BMAT/UKCAT and then do well in your LC. If that doesn't work, repeat the HPAT and apply to the CAO again (UK colleges don't take kindly to repeats) and if that doesn't work, do a relevant degree and then do graduate medicine.

There's no shortcut and there's definitely no chance of being able to progress from a level 6 science course (which is barely above LC standard) to a course like medicine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement